• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on the GPU rip off price change?

Permabanned
As stated is there any news on the Overclockers team falling in line and moving to RRP instead of rip off "supply and demand" prices like other retailers yet?

Permabanned
OP
Overclockers will lower their prices when their suppliers lower their prices. Fact.

Such a well educated individual.... manufacturer price has never shifted, demand has and shops use the demand to increase prices. Nothing to do with how much they buy them for, they get them as MSRP if not lower minus VAT as its a business. Adding £300 to £1000 on top is not due to anything other than greed. Luckily EVGA quote a MSRP which is again higher than business bulk purchase price as do some others, and when you see GPU's pop up on merchants at double there is no reasonable reason other than greed.

No competitor links

Same card is 949 here...

On no competitor talk I can get the GB 3070 ti for less than this, are they using a magical wizard to buy them from someone in 2020. Or are they applying less mark-up and still making a profit.

I'm not having a pop at Overclockers although it is bad behaviour in my eyes, im just asking when they will be in line with MSRP so I know when to bother coming back and checking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Such a well educated individual.... manufacturer price has never shifted, demand has and shops use the demand to increase prices. Nothing to do with how much they buy them for, they get them as MSRP if not lower minus VAT as its a business. Adding £300 to £1000 on top is not due to anything other than greed. Luckily EVGA quote a MSRP which is again higher than business bulk purchase price as do some others, and when you see GPU's pop up on merchants at double there is no reasonable reason other than greed.

Have you been hiding in a cave for the past 18 months? Almost every industry has seen costs rising during the past year plus, with electronics having been hit hardest. Many industries are competing for limited component stock, and some industries limiting / pausing production due to rising costs and supply chain issues. GPUs have been hit particularly hard, due to scalpers and miners, but to say manufacturing price hasn’t increased is denying all the evidence.

I could show you a quote for an ARM chip I use in manufacturing that has gone up from $8 to $300 for the few that are available, and others quoting minimum 52 week lead times.

Permabanned
OP
Have you been hiding in a cave for the past 18 months? Almost every industry has seen costs rising during the past year plus, with electronics having been hit hardest. Many industries are competing for limited component stock, and some industries limiting / pausing production due to rising costs and supply chain issues. GPUs have been hit particularly hard, due to scalpers and miners, but to say manufacturing price hasn’t increased is denying all the evidence.

I could show you a quote for an ARM chip I use in manufacturing that has gone up from $8 to $300 for the few that are available, and others quoting minimum 52 week lead times.

Lesson 1, https://eu.evga.com/products/produc...ily=GeForce+30+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+3080

This has not changed apart from the pos cap issue.

Lesson 2, This is direct retail price not business price which is lower.

Lesson 3, It doesn't cost the the value of the prices being issued to ship or EVGA would be in line with cost.

Lesson 4, if you have the butt hurt becasue you paid well over the odds, leave that out of it, its not knowledge its idiocy.

Associate
manufacturer price has never shifted,
Asus announced two price rises in quick succession a few months ago. MSRP means nothing now. Prices are high everywhere, not just in the UK. Prices are dropping slowly.

BTW remove the competitor mentions or you may be suspended.

Associate
Two points. Try buying at those prices - no stock available (HINT : select the ‘in stock’ option at the top of the page)

Secondly I’m talking manufacturing prices - if the earlier poster meant recommended retail prices (which as has been pointed out elsewhere, are close to meaningless) then they should have said that. For me manufacturer/ing prices are what they cost to build, and I can assure you all manufactures have seen significant cost increases over the past year.

Associate
I think the OP has left the building :D

Strange posts after a four year hiatus. Just released from solitary confinement and / or alcohol fueled :p
Maybe we can have a poll :D

Soldato
Lesson 1, https://eu.evga.com/products/produc...ily=GeForce+30+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+3080

This has not changed apart from the pos cap issue.

Lesson 2, This is direct retail price not business price which is lower.

Lesson 3, It doesn't cost the the value of the prices being issued to ship or EVGA would be in line with cost.

Lesson 4, if you have the butt hurt becasue you paid well over the odds, leave that out of it, its not knowledge its idiocy.

I work for a computer parts retailer so I know for a FACT that suppliers GPU prices are hundreds of pounds over MSRP. That is the honest truth.

The price on EVGA's website is way below the actual price they sell to distributors for. This is because there's a parts shortage. Each component on the GPU is costing more than usual.

When the issue is resolved, prices will return to MSRP. EVGA'S prices are low because they reflect what they would sell for in normal times. The prices they expected to sell for last year when the MSRP was set. The MSRP doesn't go up or down like the market price does.

Associate
As above don't buy at these prices, once the miners, scalpers and those with FOMO have stopped buying these heavily inflated prices will drift down. Then it will all go crazy again at the launch of the 7000 series when those with FOMO will be buying from scalpers again.

Soldato

No competitor links

Same card is 949 here...

On no competitor talk I can get the GB 3070 ti for less than this, are they using a magical wizard to buy them from someone in 2020. Or are they applying less mark-up and still making a profit.

I'm not having a pop at Overclockers although it is bad behaviour in my eyes, im just asking when they will be in line with MSRP so I know when to bother coming back and checking.

AIB manufacturers have been pumping up their MSRP prices.

Associate
AIB manufacturers have been pumping up their MSRP prices.

Work in high volume consumer electronics, and I really don't blame them. Manufacturing anything at the moment is _really_ difficult with supply shortages, boarder issues, COVID, etc.

We're currently on line stop due to supply shortages, but I've heard several larger companies with huge buying power paying £30 per unit for a £5 device to secure allocation. It's the goddamn wild west.

Soldato
It's annoying me as well. Not to blame or single out OCUK though as they're far from the only culprits. it's utterly frustrating especially when it's becoming obvious that even pre-built systems are now being marked up above RRP due to scarcity of the GPUs inside them :(

You can say market forces, supplier pricing, etc but it doesn't make it any easier to swallow when you see a GPU being sold for 50-100% mark up by retailers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom