• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ideal cooler for R7 5800X (3D rendering)

Associate
I've been using Keyshot 10 for rendering and I've noticed the CPU reaches high temps (85+ C)and begins to thermal throttle to around 4.4 GHz. Usually it boosts to around 4.8 in tasks that don't utilise all cores.

I'm using a Noctua NH-U14S, it handled rendering fine on my last chip (I5 4670K) and barely reached 50C.

Looking for some recommendations that will help keep temps low, ideally not a water cooling solution.

Associate
Are you exhausting out the back/ decent sized case with front fan too etc?

It's quite a hot chip, I use a dark rock 4 pro which is rated a bit higher for max TDP. I undervolted a little bit and hit around 70-75c on cinebench. I dont do much rendering outside of CAD but running cpu heavy simulations it stays below 80.
It is about 25c higher than my i7 4770 ran but it's also twice as fast (often more).

Soldato
With all 8 cores in same CCD and high TDP per core 5800X is likely the hardest to keep cool Zen3.

But there's also one other thing you could check:
Is base of that cooler flat or convex?
Because of Intel having concavish heatspreaders los of coolers have convex base to guarantee best contact above silicon die.

AMD again has convex heatpreaders and obviously two convex surfaces make good contact only in small area in center.
While modern chiplet Ryzens have heat producing silicon dies off center needing good contact at wide area.

Soldato
In the bios PBO menu try setting PPT and EDC to 125 and curve optimiser to -15 all cores. This reduced the all core temps on my 5800X by 7c while also slightly boost performance above stock.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
With all 8 cores in same CCD and high TDP per core 5800X is likely the hardest to keep cool Zen3.

But there's also one other thing you could check:
Is base of that cooler flat or convex?
Because of Intel having concavish heatspreaders los of coolers have convex base to guarantee best contact above silicon die.

AMD again has convex heatpreaders and obviously two convex surfaces make good contact only in small area in center.
While modern chiplet Ryzens have heat producing silicon dies off center needing good contact at wide area.

I'm pretty sure the cooler is flat, unless the convex shape is REALLY subtle. The cooler came with the bracket for AM4 motherboards so I would assume that it would be suitable for the Ryzen IHS.

Associate
I've been using Keyshot 10 for rendering and I've noticed the CPU reaches high temps (85+ C)and begins to thermal throttle to around 4.4 GHz. Usually it boosts to around 4.8 in tasks that don't utilise all cores.

I'm using a Noctua NH-U14S, it handled rendering fine on my last chip (I5 4670K) and barely reached 50C.

Looking for some recommendations that will help keep temps low, ideally not a water cooling solution.
I'm using a 5800x with a D-15 chromax with both 140mm fans and a third 120mm noctua fan so it can clear the memory and clocks constantly hit 4.85ghz and temps are in the mid 70s under heavy load with good airflow from my case, so would highly recommend it.

Soldato
I'm using a Corsair H100i exhausting out the top and it seems to do pretty well. Despite the annoyance of having iCue running, I like being able to see the temperature of my water. Currently the CPU is sitting at 53 with a small load, with my water temps at 33.

Associate
OP
I'm using a Corsair H100i exhausting out the top and it seems to do pretty well. Despite the annoyance of having iCue running, I like being able to see the temperature of my water. Currently the CPU is sitting at 53 with a small load, with my water temps at 33.
The loads I'm doing can be prolonged, especially if its an animation. My concern with water cooling primarily is leaking. I know all in ones are pretty reliable but I do have an irrational fear that a fitting or lining will corrode and leak water onto my system.

Associate
CPU reaches high temps (85+ C)and begins to thermal throttle to around 4.4 GHz
High temps are inherent to 5800X. I would venture a guess that it is not thermal throttling (need 90C+ for that), frequency drop is from hitting power limits in multicore load.
So everything is normal. Can't really go much above U14S without resorting to water. Perhaps think about air flow in case, making sure coldest air reaches the CPU cooler first?

You could also look into suggestions above, raising power limits and/or playing with Curve Optimizer to achieve higher multicore clocks.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure the cooler is flat, unless the convex shape is REALLY subtle. The cooler came with the bracket for AM4 motherboards so I would assume that it would be suitable for the Ryzen IHS.

Convex or concave or genuinely flat is extremely subtle and probably not going to change the world for you.

It's normally identified by looking at the crush pattern when pressure sensitive paper is squashed by it.

The logic behind a deliberate curve is that the heat spreader that covers your cpu will bend a tiny amount under clamping pressure so maybe you want a matching curve on the cooler.

Great plan except different cpu heat spreaders bend differently due to design and manufacture so good luck getting a perfect fit between anything ever.

You can take things into your own hands and sand your cooler and your cpu heat spreader extremely flat and maybe that will help but the cpu heat spreader will still bend a bit under clamping which isn't there when you're sanding.

Associate
For my 5800X, with the Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 (360mm AIO), it never sees much more than 70c with all cores loaded for an extended period. I know you mentioned that you don't want to go the liquid cooling route, but it beats air for high and consistent usage scenarios.

Might also need to assess your case cooling as a whole - if you aren't getting enough cool air in and aren't exhausting properly, you could be soaking the system.

On the config side, I've got PBO2 set to -20 across all cores. Also consider updating your BIOS as some of the more recent releases improved temp stability.

Associate
OP
Convex or concave or genuinely flat is extremely subtle and probably not going to change the world for you.

It's normally identified by looking at the crush pattern when pressure sensitive paper is squashed by it.

The logic behind a deliberate curve is that the heat spreader that covers your cpu will bend a tiny amount under clamping pressure so maybe you want a matching curve on the cooler.

Great plan except different cpu heat spreaders bend differently due to design and manufacture so good luck getting a perfect fit between anything ever.

You can take things into your own hands and sand your cooler and your cpu heat spreader extremely flat and maybe that will help but the cpu heat spreader will still bend a bit under clamping which isn't there when you're sanding.

Ah thank you. I don't think I'm gonna go through with sanding down my cooler just in case I do more damage than good, but Ill keep that in mind when picking a new cooler.

Associate
OP
For my 5800X, with the Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 (360mm AIO), it never sees much more than 70c with all cores loaded for an extended period. I know you mentioned that you don't want to go the liquid cooling route, but it beats air for high and consistent usage scenarios.

Might also need to assess your case cooling as a whole - if you aren't getting enough cool air in and aren't exhausting properly, you could be soaking the system.

On the config side, I've got PBO2 set to -20 across all cores. Also consider updating your BIOS as some of the more recent releases improved temp stability.

I've got a NZXT H500i with 2 front fans and 1 rear fan. I used to have a top exhaust but I cant fit the fan in due to the heat spreader at the top of my X570 motherboard.

Updating my BIOS is probably a really good idea.

Associate
I've got a NZXT H500i with 2 front fans and 1 rear fan. I used to have a top exhaust but I cant fit the fan in due to the heat spreader at the top of my X570 motherboard.

Updating my BIOS is probably a really good idea.

Yea, that case will definitely limit you in terms of cooling potential. If you can't get any more out of it then I'd suggest looking at something like the Corsair 4000D Airflow - really good case, plenty cooling options, and very reasonably priced (~65).

Setting up PBO2 after the BIOS update could also help as it should regulate your the voltage better i.e. generate less heat.

Soldato
My learned friends.

I'm considering upgrading a 2600 to a 5800x but have been reading concerns of the 5800x being toasty.
Current system is a compact mini-itx (Enthoo Evolv Shift ES217) running with a ROG Ryuo 120 mm (I think a 120 is all I can get in there)

Do you think I'll be able to cool the 5800x ?

Cheers

Soldato
My learned friends.

I'm considering upgrading a 2600 to a 5800x but have been reading concerns of the 5800x being toasty.
Current system is a compact mini-itx (Enthoo Evolv Shift ES217) running with a ROG Ryuo 120 mm (I think a 120 is all I can get in there)

Cheers
I don't think it's particularly hot running. Mine's currently sitting at 41 with a water temp of 32 and the fans on the AIO are barely ticking over. What I've found is that the primary core can increase in temperature very rapidly under relatively modest loads. This seems like it's by design and perfectly normal behaviour for this chip - and likely what gives it such a good single core score. Under more sustained loads, the temperature is a lot more stable.

Soldato
I don't think it's particularly hot running. Mine's currently sitting at 41 with a water temp of 32 and the fans on the AIO are barely ticking over. What I've found is that the primary core can increase in temperature very rapidly under relatively modest loads. This seems like it's by design and perfectly normal behaviour for this chip - and likely what gives it such a good single core score. Under more sustained loads, the temperature is a lot more stable.

Thanks mate,

I'll take a punt :o

SA

Associate
OP
My learned friends.

Cheers

Personally I've only noticed my 5800X only getting really toasty when doing renders, gaming on the other hand my NH-U14S has been able to keep it cool so I think your cooler could handle it for that use case easily!

Back
Top Bottom