• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Buying a used gfx card from Ebay.

Soldato
Only buy from ebay if you can get a receipt and that the warranty can be used by you and not just the name on the receipt but the general receipt in question. Ask for a pic of it before you even bid imo and make a note of the purchase date on it. Ask as well if its been used to mine with as if they say no but you suspect it has been then you might have room to get a refund if it suddenly stops working tho how to prove its been mined with i dunno. And check sellers feedback as a seller for reviews. Careful of hacked ebay accounts too, dunno how ud check if its hacked or not tho. Also check where its from, could be a china card and might incur import duties.

You should have access to oc mm so if it were me id buy from there, usually pretty safe.

Soldato
Collecting is the worst thing you can do with ebay as youll have no buyer protection at all. Waiting a few weeks for the money back is a lot better than paying cash and not getting anything back at all

You dont have to pay cash for collecting. You can still pay for it via Ebay's payment system and then collect. Done it myself a few times when it was using paypal. Some sellers insisted on it.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info guys , eBay seems like a minefield! Tempted to wait to see if I can pick something up new with warranty, even if it's less powerful than say a used 1080.

Or safer to buy a used card from here on the MM.

Soldato
Do you have access to members market?

I'd always feel safer either buying it or selling there.

As it happens I currently have a 1080 for sale on there.

This.

I see you have access to MM and good trust, so perhaps keep a look out over there, or post in the wanted section.

Are there requirements for the members market? I've got an RX 580 8gb I'd like to sell but I can't see that forum anywhere?

Yes there are requirements to access MM, something like a year and 1000 posts, but check.

Soldato
You dont have to pay cash for collecting. You can still pay for it via Ebay's payment system and then collect. Done it myself a few times when it was using paypal. Some sellers insisted on it.

That's mad, eBay insist on a tracking number, so letting someone collect means no tracking number, means they will instantly win a claim for non-delivery.

Someone I worked with lost an iPad that way, he eventually got his money back but it took months of police and phone calls. I wouldnt ever risk it as a seller.

Soldato

If i was a seller i would refuse collection if paid via ebay as the buyer can claim non delivery. And theyd win as theres no tracking on the item.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

That's mad, eBay insist on a tracking number, so letting someone collect means no tracking number, means they will instantly win a claim for non-delivery.

Nope. The buyer scans a bar code the seller provides when picking the bike up to confirm it's been picked up (fyi this is exactly what I did when I bought two bikes recently via ebay and cash on collection when picking up).

If i was a seller i would refuse collection if paid via ebay as the buyer can claim non delivery. And theyd win as theres no tracking on the item.

No.

Soldato
Hi everyone, I am at my wits end with the current GPU market so looking to get a used 1070 or 1080.

I have seen some for prices I'm willing to pay but worried that it will die on me, really can't afford to be out £300 odd.

Is there any protection for me if I buy from Ebay, I heard with PayPal if the card died within 180 days I can get a refund?

Thanks for any info, Mart
You won’t be able to use that 180days with eBay purchase anymore.

eBay isn’t synonymous with paypal anymore. When you pay money through PayPal, it goes into a holding account under eBay’s control. So you have no direct link to the seller anymore.

the only protection you have now is the 35 days eBay offers.

Soldato
I would've thought shops like CEX would be OK to buy graphics cards from, at least you can take it back if it's no good (if you act quickly).

Personally, I'd wait until this Ethereum GPU mining obsession (and occupation for some) is over. If you buy GPUs that are released say in December this year, or sometime in 2022, I think it will be much less risky.

We need some proper metrics to assess the total number of hours powered on, average temperature, max temperature and intensity of use of graphics cards, this would make it much easier to sort out the 2nd hand graphics cards with a lower 'life expectancy', if this information was available before buying.

Nvidia and AMD are not interested in the 2nd hand market though.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I would've thought shops like CEX would be OK to buy graphics cards from, at least you can take it back if it's no good (if you act quickly).

Personally, I'd wait until this Ethereum GPU mining obsession (and occupation for some) is over. If you buy GPUs that are released say in December this year, or sometime in 2022, I think it will be much less risky.

We need some proper metrics to assess the total number of hours powered on, average temperature, max temperature and intensity of use of graphics cards, this would make it much easier to sort out the 2nd hand graphics cards with a lower 'life expectancy', if this information was available before buying.

Nvidia and AMD are not interested in the 2nd hand market though.

You reckon, Nvidia are very interested, they used it to set prices of the Ti cards.

G J

G J

Associate
The members market isnt without its flaws though as the wanted section can be pretty dead also people offer you cards ask you to wait which was fine by me update the thread a few times but then leave you in the dark. If you're willing to wait a while then go for it.

The for sale section has people responding to threads within 60 seconds to 3 mins on any thing that was resonably priced with people hovering up 2/3+ cards within a couple of weeks but the people selling cards and the mods seemed fine with this.

At least with ebay you can actually buy a card if you see an auction, but then it has bots/scalpers also.

Edit: Someone did eventually help me and sold a card to me at a ok price and with anything if the price is good its not going to hang around for long but some people be greedy.

Last edited:
Permabanned
If you have access to the MM, I would not use Ebay. Ive used the MM for years and have bought and sold plenty of stuff with zero problems. The work needed to even gain access to it cuts out the scammers and stuff generally sells for what its worth.

Soldato
Someone I worked with lost an iPad that way, he eventually got his money back but it took months of police and phone calls. I wouldnt ever risk it as a seller.

Like @amigafan2003 said. There is tracking for collected items. When you collect an item now you print out a receipt with a QR code. You take this with you and the seller scans the QR code which gives them the proof it was collected. Recently I purchased some plastic trim from a company nearby and they offered a collection option. So I paid via Ebay. I then got the receipt with the QR code, took it with me, collected the item and they scanned my QR code proving I had collected the item. So the buyer can not claim for non-delivery.

Permabanned
Like @amigafan2003 said. There is tracking for collected items. When you collect an item now you print out a receipt with a QR code. You take this with you and the seller scans the QR code which gives them the proof it was collected. Recently I purchased some plastic trim from a company nearby and they offered a collection option. So I paid via Ebay. I then got the receipt with the QR code, took it with me, collected the item and they scanned my QR code proving I had collected the item. So the buyer can not claim for non-delivery.

I remember buying a used HD 3850 from ebay. I got home and put it on FurMark and it hit 110c Core temps in 10 seconds tops. Have never gone back there to purchase a card since.

I just stick to OcUk, when a deal pops so I'm there for the purchase.

Soldato

I hadnt realised they did this now cheers :)

Soldato
There is a certain level of protection with ebay, in that if you raise a claim with a buyer you will probably get the payment back.

However, bear in mind that if you are buying from a private seller, they are under no obligations to provide any kind of warranty or guarantee - their only legal obligation is to advertise the item accurately.

If you were to claim the money back after several months, then don't be surprised if the seller begins legal proceedings against you to get their money back (I certainly would if a buyer did that to me).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I would've thought shops like CEX would be OK to buy graphics cards from, at least you can take it back if it's no good (if you act quickly)
Their prices are too high though, yes you get a 2 year warranty for piece of mind but you have to pay a large premium for that, probably a good 50% above market rate so there's an argument that you are better off taking a risk buying privately.

As for the OP I would look at MM, there have been quite a few cards around that sort of level coming up for sale.

Back
Top Bottom