*** Nintendo Switch ***

Was just thinking, 30FPS games are even worse on OLED tv due to the pixel response, it's like playing in a slideshow. Will the OLEd Switch not suffer from this issue considering the poor framrates on most of it's games? I'm not good with tv tech so correct me if I'm wrong, I just know that 30fps were way more tolerable on my other TV and monitor.

I'm thinking this as well, my heart is trying to convince me that oled is going to magically make all the games look amazing but without a SOC upgrade internally and new games running at a higher resolution and framerate I'm not sure this is a worth while upgrade, I got my OLED TV for a PS5 and PC @ 4k, that in my mind takes advantage of the display technology better.

I think I'm going to have to compare side by side in person to make a decision on this one, my heart is saying yes but my brain is saying wait for Pro.

Soldato
I'm thinking this as well, my heart is trying to convince me that oled is going to magically make all the games look amazing but without a SOC upgrade internally and new games running at a higher resolution and framerate I'm not sure this is a worth while upgrade, I got my OLED TV for a PS5 and PC @ 4k, that in my mind takes advantage of the display technology better.

I think I'm going to have to compare side by side in person to make a decision on this one, my heart is saying yes but my brain is saying wait for Pro.

Yeah I got carried away with the initial announcement but it doesn't address the reason I sold my Switch in the first place.
It's a shame as I know I'd be able to enjoy some of the games with a simple 60fps update. Guess waiting God knows how many more years for a better spec console makes no difference at this point.

Soldato
Not sure about the oled 30 FPS potential issue, one of the guys at ign had hands on with the oled and his original Switch and said the visuals were much better obviously, no mention of this.

There are others who've had hands on and I've not heard of the FPS on oled being an issue, and not something I've even found to be a problem on all my phones and tablets with oled but that's not to say it isn't an issue, just no one so far I've seen has flagged it.

Soldato
So is the screen on the new Switch RGB or Pentile Matrix?

Hands-on initial preview I saw online the other day said the guy thought it was RGB and NOT Pentile which is at least nice. I would also expect it'll at least be a decent screen, as they'll have a real hard time selling volume at the higher cost than the cheaper model if the screen has noticeable issues compared to the older revisions, even if the screen IS slightly larger and better contrast etc. Potentially they could also have included some sort of VRR functionality into the new screen and system as well, which may help with the lower framerates.

I am very up in the air about this Switch revision. I have an AC Special Edition Switch so probably won't Switch. If I got an exceptionally good trade in offer however, I might consider it; as it's ultimately still a number of improvements for when I do play on the move; and I expect to be back in the office come September.

I play mostly docked; but the improvements ARE quality of life improvements; they're just not enough to make me go insta-buy, my getting one will really have quite a few qualifiers.

It would be interesting to see if they've improved the Wireless, or optimised the LAN connection at all now it's built in; with this new model. I will definately be keeping an eye on the reviews when it lands.

If a Switch Pro/Backwards Compatible Switch 2 launches next year though, I'd definitely upgrade again; not because I want crazy graphics improvements etc; but just because I'd prefer to reduce framerates and when certain games just can't cope. VERY built up ACNH and the Hyrule Warriors games both suffer in this regards and I'd be happy with a locked 30 (60/120 is OF COURSE way better but 30 as long as it's 100% locked etc is not TERRIBLE, the problem is many games where 30 FPS becomes an issue aren't locked either, so you get really horrible stutters/lags/framerate spikes etc; and this is relevant to all consoles that have struggled with 30 FPS, not just Switch), but some games, even 1st party, just can't manage it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apparently not, which is another strange omission, especially as it sounds like they may have started work on it in the firmware.

I wonder if the reason they don't want to do it is Bluetooth latency; as to get the latency down you really need a good BT audio stack, and ideally support for some of the lower latency codecs like APTX LL which MOST headphones don't actually support; so putting it out there could really end up biting them in the rear; if they start getting a load of complaints about de-synced audio when people are using cheap BT headphones with the system. Alternatively they'd potentially have to whitelist supported headsets, which would also cause complaints (because no doubt then you'd be forced to buy a Nintendo-supported headset at a premium price).

Considering the Switch is not the most powerful hardware at the best of times, I also wonder if its a CPU runtime/performance consideration, as it'd add extra overhead which the Switch just may not have to spare, considering the performance issues and bottlenecks it already faces.

Soldato
Exactly, so you can't trade in now and take advantage of the 50% extra Trade-in at some GAME stores, to buy the OLED model later.

Yeah I thought about making use of the Game offer but couldn't for this reason.

Part of me wouldn't mind starting over with a new island as I know so much more now, but losing all the time based and event related stuff would be a right pain.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Apparently not, which is another strange omission, especially as it sounds like they may have started work on it in the firmware.

If you ever wonder why Nintendo doesn't do something, the answer is 99% of the time "because they don't want to". The Switch should have so many things it doesn't and they are all missing because Nintendo doesn't want them.

Man of Honour
If you ever wonder why Nintendo doesn't do something, the answer is 99% of the time "because they don't want to". The Switch should have so many things it doesn't and they are all missing because Nintendo doesn't want them.

And yet it is a runaway success, so those omissions clearly weren’t worth the cost.

I still want folders though.

Back
Top Bottom