RIP Lawnmower, Hello Artificial Grass

Soldato
what about houses being built on old schools or football pitches etc etc is that ok too???
I find it genuinely and thoroughly depressing that plastic grass has become normalised, as illustrated by many in this thread. Our gardens are the one part of the entire blummin' universe that we can look after and contribute -- in a tiny way -- to the ecosystem we, as a species, are hurtling towards sterilising.

I can see that folk just want to get on with their lives, and get rid of as many inconveniences as possible in an increasingly stressful world. But if 8 billion folk have the same attitude what hope is there for the future? We have to lead by some kind of example, because we can't moan about the Amazon disappearing if we're sanitising our lawns. Front gardens are now paved car parks and back gardens a carpet of landfill in waiting. It is... sigh-worthy.

I can also see how poncey posts like this can come across. I'm no rampant eco-warrior, and I've almost a complete lifetime of contribution to the mess the planet's in, so maybe I'm just feeling increasingly guilty. But it will be a cold day in eco-Hell before I turn what's left of our scruffy lawn into a polymer desert.

Sorry... I just got distracted by the Americanised opening thing for the footy. I think I've found something else to have my jaw dropped by. Plastic's coming home!

Soldato
You are conflating good taste and respect for the environment with some other nonsense that you are against.

The latest trend of outdoors looking like indoors with its pristine lines and lawn that you can hoover is gross. Normally goes hand in hand with anthracite windows and leased Range Rovers.

Oh my, this could be the new corner sofa meme in the making, artificial grass. :cry:

Soldato
I think it looks a neat job. And if you're not inclined to look after a lawn it works.

Though I agree with the notion plastic is a bit clinical, a garden should be about nature.

Soldato
Looks ******* terrible, good lord.

I assume all the ecowarriors complaining about it have wildflower meadows instead of a lawn - given that an English type short cut grass lawn is pretty hopeless for nature as well. ;)

Orders of magnitude better to have well cropped grass than ******* plastic tho. :cry:

Soldato
It's the fad just now - turning your garden into another room for the house, which is all fair enough, but trying to have it like an "indoor room outside" ? We live in the UK, not California.

It's all so clinical and manicured to an inch of its life some of which is to impress others IMHO.

Soldato
I find it genuinely and thoroughly depressing that plastic grass has become normalised, as illustrated by many in this thread. Our gardens are the one part of the entire blummin' universe that we can look after and contribute -- in a tiny way -- to the ecosystem we, as a species, are hurtling towards sterilising.

I can see that folk just want to get on with their lives, and get rid of as many inconveniences as possible in an increasingly stressful world. But if 8 billion folk have the same attitude what hope is there for the future? We have to lead by some kind of example, because we can't moan about the Amazon disappearing if we're sanitising our lawns. Front gardens are now paved car parks and back gardens a carpet of landfill in waiting. It is... sigh-worthy.

I can also see how poncey posts like this can come across. I'm no rampant eco-warrior, and I've almost a complete lifetime of contribution to the mess the planet's in, so maybe I'm just feeling increasingly guilty. But it will be a cold day in eco-Hell before I turn what's left of our scruffy lawn into a polymer desert.

Sorry... I just got distracted by the Americanised opening thing for the footy. I think I've found something else to have my jaw dropped by. Plastic's coming home!

This this and this.

Associate
You don't need golf course grade grass to create a habitat. If anything, the opposite. Council verges and communal fields do perfectly well.

They do. And there are acres of them along with acres of countryside which is why my garden can look like an Augusta green, a butchers window or parking space instead without wiping out a species.

I’ve yet to see any facts from the anti artificial turf brigade. I’ve seen statements regarding garden maintenance which are so unfounded the now the claim is you let your garden grow wild. It’s laughable.

Those banging on about losing a habitat best are by no means whiter than white so shouldn’t be throwing any stones.

Soldato
They do. And there are acres of them along with acres of countryside which is why my garden can look like an Augusta green, a butchers window or parking space instead without wiping out a species.

I’ve yet to see any facts from the anti artificial turf brigade. I’ve seen statements regarding garden maintenance which are so unfounded the now the claim is you let your garden grow wild. It’s laughable.

Those banging on about losing a habitat best are by no means whiter than white so shouldn’t be throwing any stones.
Well other than it looking terrible it also is an absolute nightmare to hurt yourself on, and the material it is made from pollutes water courses and causes cancer.

That's enough for anyone to think they should just run a mower over.

Associate
Well other than it looking terrible it also is an absolute nightmare to hurt yourself on, and the material it is made from pollutes water courses and causes cancer.

That's enough for anyone to think they should just run a mower over.

“It also an absolute nightmare to hurt yourself on”. Now I realise the type of person in the pro turf brigade, it’s not worth the debate.

I think I’ll tarmac my front garden now so I can see my 3.0l diesel from my leather armchair in the lounge.

Soldato
“It also an absolute nightmare to hurt yourself on”. Now I realise the type of person in the pro turf brigade, it’s not worth the debate.

I think I’ll tarmac my front garden now so I can see my 3.0l diesel from my leather armchair in the lounge.
Not a sporting person eh? Guess where AstroTurf was first used :p. Check out Turf Burn.

Edit; brushed my teeth earlier and left the tap on, in your honour. Seas are full so no point me doing anything.

Last edited:
Soldato
I never realised you were supposed to do all this stuff to a lawn, I just mow on no3 once a week or 2 weeks , no fertilising or weed killers,I let dandilions do their thing then they go, mini wildlife garden and tranquility garden further down for wildlife, but as said I have a small bit of fake outside living room
Bit dull this morning but my small bit of fake
Awesome to avoid mud ect, but as said wouldn't do anything bigger

IMG-20210712-061742.jpg

Screenshot-20210710-180203-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
It looks bloody awful, quite apart from it being just quite sad that people are determined to sanitise and plasticise their whole existence.

Soldato
Yeah i don't know anyone who uses all those things on their lawn, i've never used anything other than more grass seed on my lawn. Grass is remarkably resilient and it pretty much takes care of itself if you cut it there's really no need for any kind of chemicals or products on it. If its cut regularly there's no need to take the clippings away 'in a diesel lorry' as they fall down into the grass and become food for the grass itself, almost like some sort of ecosystem.

If you're using an electric mower of some sort that's pretty green, my robot mower charges up during the day using our solar panels so that's 'free' 100% clean energy. The only argument against is the manufacture of the mower and it's battery which should last a good 10 years.

What's not been touched on is how lawns remove CO2 from the atmosphere, a 1000m2 area of lawn will remove a ton of CO2 a year. While not huge figures if we all got rid of our grass that's a massive impact overall.

As has been said our garden is one of the few bits of the environment we actually have control over so if we all did our bit the world would be a better place.

Back
Top Bottom