Ducky

Soldato
Hey guys in the market for a new keyboard i currently have a corsair k90 had it for about 4/5 years now and tbh its just grubby/old

But i want something pretty special, doesnt need to be full size i dare say i can get away with 60% however arrow keys would be useful, as would a print screen button for design work etc

Money isnt an issue, but i want something really nice and ducky have my eye? but what, open to recommendations if you can

Im on my pc probably 18 hours a day due to work/gaming etc

Regards and Thanks in advance (ps something a little more silent might be handy too?)

Associate
TKL would be perfect :)

Any preferences for switches/hotswap? As you've mentioned quiet pre-built switches would probably be Cherry Silent Red or Cherry Silent Black. If you go hotswappable you can spend on a whole range of switches.

I've just built a GMMK TKL I'm quite fond of, with yellow Gateron Pro switches and I bought these keycaps https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...-black-uk-layout-ch-9911060-uk-kb-0b3-cs.html

Pre-built takes the hassle away and you could always upgrade to PBT keycaps if a board doesn't have them. There is quite a decent range of TKL pre-builts to choose from, so I'd advise your first port of call to think about is what switches you want or if you want hot-swappable. If hot-swappable the GMMK TKL and Keychon K8 are your only real options.

The GMMK Pro is out soon but it's not technically TKL, but like 65~70% I think they call it. You're then into more expensive custom keycaps as well because the GMMK Pro has a non-standard bottom row.

I went from full size to 65% and then back up to TKL. I'm not shifting from TKL again, the non-standard bottom rows and such just weren't worth it. TKL saves some desk space and still leaves you with your F keys and proper spacing for your arrows. All keycaps are standard layout as well which helps when sourcing ISO UK keycaps.

It's possible to spend "stupid money" on keyboards, and while people build some seriously nice keyboards and spend £100+ on keycaps, a nice mechanical TKL will do me :) The market for pre-built TKL is great, so much choice, it's only really restricted if you want to dabble in hot-swap or you know you like a certain switch most manufacturers don't offer on pre-built.

Quite a few manufacturers seem to offer Cherry silent red if you're going to go down the route of pre-built. Then if your chosen keyboard doesn't come with PBT keycaps, or they're really thin/low quality, you can always spend an additional £30 and get the Corsair PBT keycaps or some other brand.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well call me crazy ive bought a 'Year of the Rat' Edition Ducky, has to buy it off someone at an inflated price but its still sealed, should be with me soon - its the one i wanted so i took the plunge

202012041557086ocrx1-Ptj7.jpg

2KgJ9sp

Associate
Well call me crazy ive bought a 'Year of the Rat' Edition Ducky, has to buy it off someone at an inflated price but its still sealed, should be with me soon - its the one i wanted so i took the plunge

202012041557086ocrx1-Ptj7.jpg

2KgJ9sp

What switches did you go for?

Associate
I could only get them in brown for this keyboard as they were sold out everywhere and I had to pay nearly double the asking however I’ve heard brown aren’t bad for gaming and typing which suits me to a t

yeah it seems to be a decent mid ground switch

Back
Top Bottom