Poll: UEFA Euro 2020 Final Italy v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 11th July 2021]

Shall we lock this thread for the 90 minutes the game is on?

• Yes

Votes: 94 43.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 56.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
boo hoo. It's happening. Deal with it.

i am the records in the future will say england were runners up

they wont say we had an “easy” run or that our manager made “questionable” choices

euro 2020 finalists

english and proud

brilliant 3 weeks to lift our nation

deal with it

Caporegime
Exactly, you can't do much about anything when you can't get sight of the ball.
So Southgate couldn't have done anything to change the outcome, or impact the game, and the Italians having all the ball was always going to happen, regardless of what team England put out, what formation, what subs, etc.

Southgate's choices had no bearing at all?

I'm *sure* you're not saying this...

Caporegime
so by your logic teams like belguim/spain/denmark/france

had as good an euros as england did :rolleyes:
Question: how are we better than any of the other teams that lost to Italy?

Are we better than Belgium because we got to the final? I'm not saying yes or no. I'm saying in a knockout format, you can't tell.

If I wanted to be unkind, I could recall Belgium soundly beating us twice in the WC. But that was then.

We didn't play Belgium this time, maybe they'd have beaten us if we did. You don't know, I don't know, a knockout format competition doesn't tell you.

Thus the idea of being "runners up" is nonsense. Only a league format can realistically rank the teams.

e: Would you bet on us coming 2nd in a league format?

Soldato
Imagine City, Liverpool, Bayern. They would be chasing more goals after the first goal not thinking omg we scored!!11 better defend forever. This has been the England way for as long as I can remember.

Soldato
Question: how are we better than any of the other teams that lost to Italy?

Are we better than Belgium because we got to the final? I'm not saying yes or no. I'm saying in a knockout format, you can't tell.

If I wanted to be unkind, I could recall Belgium soundly beating us twice in the WC. But that was then.

We didn't play Belgium this time, maybe they'd have beaten us if we did. You don't know, I don't know, a knockout format competition doesn't tell you.

Thus the idea of being "runners up" is nonsense. Only a league format can realistically rank the teams.

e: Would you bet on us coming 2nd in a league format?

who do you support? Club wise

Soldato
For those who are Southgate out.. please enlighten me who you would like to see take this job?

I'd like to see Howe given a chance. Transfer record was a bit suspect in his last few years, which would become irrelevant, but he tried to play football and did wonders for Bournemouth.

I'd like to see Dean smith brought in.

The first question is does it have to be an Englishman? So many managers could work wonders with this squad, but it's that same debate since the appointment of Sven as whether they need to be English to be invested in the team and really push for us to go as far as possible. It's a bit weird to think you wouldn't want to do your job as well as possible, and get the accolades that go with it. The counter question is did we draw with Sweden under Sven because he was content with that for both sides?

If we are saying just English managers, then those two are good picks. I think Potter has Brighton playing well, and it would be interesting to see what he might bring.

I also wish we'd had a few games under Allardyce to see what he would have done. I don't think he'd have been that great tbh, but we have nothing to really benchmark him on. Probably fair to see he'd have done better than McClaren at least.

Soldato
Far too many armchair managers on here right now

Sir Alf Ramsey
Gareth Southgate
Sir Robert Robson

Southgate ain't going nowhere, all you haters need to deal with that ;)
It's not hating Southgate. I think he's a decent chap. I just think he lacks the tactical acumen to keep the job. Time to move him on and give someone else a go.

Gangster
Associate
Donnaruma showed so much class last night as a goalkeeper and a person.

When Saka missed from the spot, most keepers would celebrate but not Donnaruma. Forza Italia.

Caporegime
who do you support? Club wise
I don't support any club. Never have. Prefer to watch the games without any allegiance or bias, or anything riding on the result. I watch footy for entertainment, and don't often care about the result. I just want to watch good players playing good football.

Is that where I'm going wrong?

Associate
It's not hating Southgate. I think he's a decent chap. I just think he lacks the tactical acumen to keep the job. Time to move him on and give someone else a go.

Feel the same way about Solskjaer at Man Utd, seen so many good managers move around while these two have been learning their trade at the top level. Poch, Nagelsmann, Ancelotti (twice), probably more I can't think of because i'm hungover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom