• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800x high thermals on idle.

Associate
I’ve upgraded from a R5 3600 with a H100i Elite Capellix 240mm AIO cooler and was hitting around 30-36 Celsius at idle. After upgrading to a R7 5800x I’m getting 42-50 Celsius on idle. I’ve repasted using noctua paste and it’s the same temps on idle. Did this CPU natively run hot or is there something wrong here...

Caporegime
The 5800X does run hotter than the 3600, both stressed and at idle, for a start the 3600 is a 65 Watt CPU, the 5800X a 105 Watt CPU.

Mine idles around 40c, i have tuned mine to be a bit more power efficient.

In the BIOS Find AMD Overclocking > PBO, set Advanced > Curve Optimiser > set Symbol Negative > Set Value 10. see how that goes, if its stable try setting 15.

Associate
Have similar with my 5950, seems to pump a lot of volts through for single core boost which drives up temps which makes it seem like low load is just as hard to cool as high load, oddball chip that seems to be crying out for a manual setup, reckon it could probably run a fixed clock and voltage and run a lot cooler, am I that bothered if a core doesn't hit 5Ghz+ probably not.

I can see 47C idling with the odd cores spiking to 5Ghz+ and almost 1.5v, under all core cinebench load it is dropping to perhaps 4.1 and 1.050v for 58C, there's gotta a be a good compromise in that range.

Not really messed about with it yet I'll have a go at that offfset thing also.

Associate
Me and a few friends all have 5800x's and all seem to run a tad hot. I've instructed them to set a negative PBO of whatever they can get stable, for them they use -20. I use -30. I originally had a 1.22v all core OC to 4.6Ghz and temps where great but seeing a few reddit threads on all core OC'ing and static voltage on Ryzen 5000 series I thought it was best to just use the PBO to reduce voltage and therefore temps. Haven't noticed any difference in temps, mine seems to spike to 1.35v compared to stock which is 1.475 or something absurd.

As above, try the PBO with a negative offset until you find whatever is stable for your CPU. I think I might be lucky in reaching -30 but who knows. I now idle at 35-38, Corsair 280x case with a CM 240mm AIO. Hopefully get a new 280mm AIO or do a small custom loop once I'm able to get a GPU.

Soldato
Mine idles about 40, lowest about 38C but only when it really is doing nothing. Have set some power limits using the TDC/EDC/PPT settings so it hits about 105W max package power instead of the 142W ish. Doesn't really affect single thread and limits CPU to about 4250MHz in an all core CB20 run, 5550-5650 score but only hits 69C now instead of 82C :)

Haven't had much luck with PBO on this particular chip but its slightly better than it was on previous BIOS at least.

Soldato
Just keep it under 90C under load. There is no point running high fan speed to get low idle temps. It's very difficult to cool such a concentrated chip with 20C air.

Set fans to ramp up gradually after 50C and 100% by the time it gets to 90C. Thermal throttling is 95C. Fans are more effective at higher temps as the air to chip temperature delta is far greater.

As others have said, undervolting using curve optimiser helps.

5600X doesn't have this problem.

I'm guessing 5950X will have same problem whilst 5900X won't. Although they both likely get power limited with way more cores to feed while the 5800X can use all of the 142W for the 8 cores and uncore.

Last edited:
Associate
5800X is always going to be very hot due to the high TDP and all the heat being concentrated on one CCD. As long as it isn't throttling its fine. Also it will boost very aggressively on low loads if you have any background tasks running.

Associate
Me and a few friends all have 5800x's and all seem to run a tad hot. I've instructed them to set a negative PBO of whatever they can get stable, for them they use -20. I use -30. I originally had a 1.22v all core OC to 4.6Ghz and temps where great but seeing a few reddit threads on all core OC'ing and static voltage on Ryzen 5000 series I thought it was best to just use the PBO to reduce voltage and therefore temps. Haven't noticed any difference in temps, mine seems to spike to 1.35v compared to stock which is 1.475 or something absurd.

As above, try the PBO with a negative offset until you find whatever is stable for your CPU. I think I might be lucky in reaching -30 but who knows. I now idle at 35-38, Corsair 280x case with a CM 240mm AIO. Hopefully get a new 280mm AIO or do a small custom loop once I'm able to get a GPU.
I can only get mine to -25.

Soldato
Mine idles at 30*C and at full load hits 75*C.
Normally its lower but summer months push it up.

I also have my cpu fan running at 800rpm to lower noise but it ramps up after 60*C to 1500rpm

PBO is set to -13

Back
Top Bottom