graphics card upgrade will work on my system??

Associate
hi all. my trusty old gtx 980 has died and i need a new graphics card. I was looking at a 3070 as they seem to be in stock (today at least). Would it be a straight swap into my setup or would some other components need upgrading? Thanks in advance

My system:

-EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclock ACX 2.0 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card - dead : (
-Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 - Devils Canyon Core i7 4790K CPU & Motherboard Bundle
-Samsung 250GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive
-Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gbs 64MB Cache
-Kingston HyperX Savage Red 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit
-SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply

Man of Honour
Should be okay, but might be a good idea to check when the last BIOS was released and see if you can find anyone else with your board running one.

Associate
OP
hmmm, pc gaming is how i relax after work.....im willing to spend 900 quid on a 3070 even though im not happy about it lol. perhaps i should just build a complete new pc??

Soldato
hmmm, pc gaming is how i relax after work.....im willing to spend 900 quid on a 3070 even though im not happy about it lol. perhaps i should just build a complete new pc??
Probably better if you want to get the most out of it.

full systems with a 3070 start from around £1100

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,

i have the same spec and my 970 died.
I been able to get a 3070, is working fine just bottlenecking..
So it will works but not on fully potential.

Associate
If all you're doing is gaming you should be ok with that CPU, as has been said you would get a little bit of bottlenecking, specially at 1080p. I would be tempted to look at a fancy new monitor to compliment the 3070 rather than a full overhaul. Far less bottlenecking at higher resolution and would give a big boost to the bit you actually interact with.

Associate
OP
So seems my transaction was successful and snapped up a 3070 cheaper than I hoped. Now do I just use it on my old system or should I updated everything?

thinking of reusing stuff I have- is the phanteks enthoo pro case good enough to keep nowadays or should that be replaced too?

Man of Honour
So seems my transaction was successful and snapped up a 3070 cheaper than I hoped. Now do I just use it on my old system or should I updated everything?

thinking of reusing stuff I have- is the phanteks enthoo pro case good enough to keep nowadays or should that be replaced too?
Try it in your old system gonna be a massive improvement but do you want to upgrade to get the best ouf of your gpu ?

You can resuse most of your system if you want to just replacing cpu , mobo and memory but i would invest in a 1tb m2 drive also.

What do you want to do ?

Associate
OP
Try it in your old system gonna be a massive improvement but do you want to upgrade to get the best ouf of your gpu ?

You can resuse most of your system if you want to just replacing cpu , mobo and memory but i would invest in a 1tb m2 drive also.

What do you want to do ?
I like building myself so I do fancy upgrading the majority of parts.

I am out of loop with most bits though, wondering if the following are reusable or too old - The case - phanteks enthoo pro, phanteks ph-tc14pe heatsink, psu - super flower 850w leader gold

Man of Honour
I like building myself so I do fancy upgrading the majority of parts.

I am out of loop with most bits though, wondering if the following are reusable or too old - The case - phanteks enthoo pro, phanteks ph-tc14pe heatsink, psu - super flower 850w leader gold
Case you can re-use but do you fancy a new one , psu is quality so could use that but if hitting 10 years old i would replace.

Soldato
I'd personally just replace the CPU/Mobo/RAM to go with your new 3070 and keep the rest, maybe slap in a nice NVME drive while you're at it.

Associate
OP
Yeah you’ve twisted my arm. Case I’ll keep but going to replace everything else. I’ll have to look what I need to get, base it around a 5800 and probably one of 550 boards…..

Back
Top Bottom