What have you done to your car today?

Man of Honour
Did they ever do the highline spec for the VR6 Corrado? I forget. Mate of mine had a really nice one but unfortunately something was wrong with the engine and ended up scrapping it :( still gutted I passed on buying the Golf VR6 he had as that was immaculate and low mileage.

Man of Honour
Did they ever do the highline spec for the VR6 Corrado? I forget. Mate of mine had a really nice one but unfortunately something was wrong with the engine and ended up scrapping it :( still gutted I passed on buying the Golf VR6 he had as that was immaculate and low mileage.

Was the high line Corrado the Storm Spec?

No, there was no Corrado Highline model (I once had a Golf VR6 Highline too).

There was a run-out limited edition of the Corrado called a Storm. They were in two colours; Green with beige leather or Mystice blue (a unique Storm colour) with black leather. Both had different alloys which were specific to the Storm but were actually just the same as the ones from the Golf VR6 Highline. But apart from the colours, standard leather and the different alloys the Storm wasn't much different from a standard VR6. They are more sought after though simply for the Storm designation. The engines were slightly different between the Golf and the Corrado too; the Corrado had a 2.9l engine while the Golf had 2.8l but that was the case for all Corrado VR6's.

There was also an incredibly rare limited edition Corrado VR6 which most people haven't heard of; The Campaign model. They were mauve with a dusty red leather interior including a leather trimmed dashboard. Only 6 were originally made and only 4 are thought to have survived.

Man of Honour
The engines were slightly different between the Golf and the Corrado too; the Corrado had a 2.9l engine while the Golf had 2.8l but that was the case for all Corrado VR6's.

Some of the Golfs had the 2.9 as well - I was going to buy a 2.9 with a bored out engine dyno'd at 209BHP or something but the owner ended up changing their mind on selling it. (Probably wasn't a good idea to buy it anyhow - likely needed more enthusiast/dedication running it than I would have been motivated to put in).

Man of Honour
Some of the Golfs had the 2.9 as well - I was going to buy a 2.9 with a bored out engine dyno'd at 209BHP or something but the owner ended up changing their mind on selling it. (Probably wasn't a good idea to buy it anyhow - likely needed more enthusiast/dedication running it than I would have been motivated to put in).
That engine would have been swapped. No mk3 Golf's came out of the factory with the 2.9 engine. The Corrado was the first VW to get the engine which was originally a 2.9. But there were some reliability issues (I can't remember exactly what but bore ovalling comes to mind for some reason) so VW reduced it to a 2.8 for the Golf. The 2.9 did put out a small amount more power so it was not an uncommon swap if the Golf engine died for any reason.

Corrado VR6 - 2.9L 12v (190bhp)
Golf mk3 VR6 - 2.8L 12v (175bhp)
Golf mk4 V6 4Mo - 2.8L 24v (204bhp)
Golf mk4 R32 - 3.2L 24v (240 bhp)
(I've had them all except the R32)

The later 24v engines are certainly more drivable on modern roads. The 12v needs to be revved to really get the power out of it. It means I'll be sitting on a motorway in 5th at 70mph just where the power starts to come in. So, so tempting, especially with the noise the VR6 makes :)

VW also reduced costs at the last minute by not using their switchable inlet manifold. They had originally designed a manifold which adjusted the inlet length above a certain RPM (I guess a bit like a more modern VTEC?). But to reduce costs they didn't use it in the end. That's a real shame.

Man of Honour
That engine would have been swapped

Wasn't the impression I got but it is a long time ago now - it was heavily modified with loads of parts upgraded - in hindsight probably not a good purchase for someone like me with more a passing interest.

EDIT: Possibly they were being cheeky with the 2.9 designation due to having had it rebored.

EDIT: From Googling looks like people had them bored out 1mm, used Corrado pistons and called them a 2.9 or even 3.0.

Last edited:
Soldato

do you think it was 2.9 before or after it was bored…

Man of Honour
Had the calipers painted. Felt they always looked a bit bland in the grey especially as the car is also grey, and for a car like a C63, it just felt a bit boring. So went for a colour that’s still a genuine Mercedes colour, but one more suited to the car

J8SuIcV.jpg

Associate
Poured some Redex Petrol System Cleaner in the tank yesterday.
See if helps make things a little smoother.

Quickly hoovered and wiped down interior.
Any good recs for a good cleaner/spray to spruce up a 11 y/o plastic dashboard?

Woke up and remembered my MOTs booked in today so waiting to hear if its passed.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It's slightly annoying in a way because the normal E46 coupe bonnet has a grille vent there but it's all part of the bonnet itself and no plastic there whereas the M3 has the plastic trim!

Man of Honour
It's slightly annoying in a way because the normal E46 coupe bonnet has a grille vent there but it's all part of the bonnet itself and no plastic there whereas the M3 has the plastic trim!
Comparing to replacing the entire bonnet I'd say that's less annoying.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Had both for several year a piece and there's no need to ever need to replace the standard vent area as there's nothing to wear! Plastic will fade over the years and will need replacing though hence the slight annoyance but thankfully it's super cheap at under £30 so not a big deal, just doesn't look as sleek with plastic trim there really :p

Man of Honour
Bought a shed, built it and filled it.

IMG-3767.jpg

That allowed me to put the FD2 into the garage.

IMG-3763.jpg

IMG-3762.jpg

Unfortunately I can't open the side door with the way the car is. Once I get some shelving up and have another sort/clear out I should be able to angle the car differently allowing the door to fully open. That's a job for another day though.

IMG-3768.jpg

IMG-3769.jpg

Back
Top Bottom