Hanging router under worktop - name that component?

Associate
I've finished cabling the house and now I'm tidying up and hanging the modem and router rather than leaving them on the floor. The last idiot who lived here ran 2 water pipes and a waste pipe smack bang across the middle of the wall, so I'm hanging them from the underside of a built-in worktop.

What I think I want is an L-shaped bit of metal, with a few holes in it, and a couple of lugs. I screw the metal into the underside of the MDF worktop, I put a lug (or bolt, or screw) at the height needed (the router and modem have hanging holes in v different places, so different heights work best) and hook on the router/modem.

Except I can't find the name for that. Meccano is the closest I can think of.

What are these kind of components called?

Associate
command velcro strips are great for this kind of thing, I've got my 16 port switch, hue hub and power strips all stuck to the underside of my desk using them, mainly because I didn't want to drill holes in the underside of my desk.

Associate
OP

Thanks, that's the kind of thing I had in mind. Not sure about lugs to go with them though

Why not just mount them side by side - can then just hang them on screw heads as intended

Do you mean at the same height? Yes that would work, so long as I can find something bracket shaped to put screws into to hang them from.

command velcro strips are great for this kind of thing, I've got my 16 port switch, hue hub and power strips all stuck to the underside of my desk using them, mainly because I didn't want to drill holes in the underside of my desk.

Oh, nice idea. I'd rather hang them perpendicular to the desk though rather than stick them straight to the underside of the worktop, partly for keeping room for legs, but I'm also thinking better cooling?

Don
Do you mean at the same height? Yes that would work, so long as I can find something bracket shaped to put screws into to hang them from.

Oh, nice idea. I'd rather hang them perpendicular to the desk though rather than stick them straight to the underside of the worktop, partly for keeping room for legs, but I'm also thinking better cooling?

Not sure what the brackets are needed for?

You are overthinking it imo - just hang them from the worktop using the screwholes provided. Stick them far enough back under the worktop and you are unlikely to bump your legs on them.

Measure distance between the likely 2 keyholes on the back of each device - screw 2 appropriate sized screws into the worktop. Place router / modem over said screws and then slide backwards slightly.

Crude paint picture to illustrate
OzLj5Mp.png

Commissario
^^ that's about how I'd do it.
About the only other thing I might do, is put a screw (with some tap washers so it's not scratching the switch etc) to make sure they can't be pushed in such a way to move it out of the keyhole fitting.
I'm the sort of clumsy idiot that would hang them like that, and knock one off when doing something under the desk, or when trying to fit/remove a cable.

Back
Top Bottom