New cat 6 wiring in house

Soldato
I'm late to the party on this one, but just to say don't fear terminating cables yourself. The right cable stripper, punch-down tools and cable tester and a few youtube videos and you're good to go.

I'm half way through cabling my house. Doing all the install too. Upstairs all networked, and just dropped the link to the downstairs. Even cat6a-F/FTP isn't that bad to deal with once you've done the first one you'll pick up speed.

The continuity tester will help ID any duds (and I probably get one wire every 3/4 sockets that doesn't quite punch in, though I'm getting better at spotting it to begin with now. What I've found is start at the terminals nearest the cable and work outwards on each side. If you start on the outermost cables and try working back it seems much harder and the crimped wire is in the way of the punchdown tool.

Agree with previous posts re cable monkey - good kit and decent quality cabling available there.

You're just on cat6 so less issue with earthing and bonding than 6a but even that isn't too scary so long as you remember to buy compatible face plates and have a central earth point at your hub switch.

Associate
The right cable stripper

I'm half-way through cabling too and can't emphasis right enough. My toolkit came with a "cat 5e/6" cable stripper, and it was definitely cat 5e as it cuts the sheath on the wires inside my cat6 cable as well as the outer sheath. And on an early stripping severed one of the internal wires.

I've made do with great care, but buying one the right size for your cable will be worth it.

Anyone got a cable stripper they'd recommend?

Caporegime
If you don't do this as a day job then just get skilled at using a stanley knife. You only need to score the jacket, it will break when you bend it.

Soldato
Soldato
cat10.jpg

cat 10 for the big spender!!

A G

A G

Associate
OP
Do i need to do anything to the other part of the coaxial cable, the power cable, when crimping, if im not using it to power the PoC CCTVs directly? Rather if I can power them via the DVR?
some advice on how/what tools to use to deal with the coaxial cable would be highly appreciated

Soldato
If you’re not using the red/black pair, just trim them off and put a bit of tape over each end to make it tidy.

For the co-ax you can either crimp the connectors on https://www.cop-eu.com/installation-equipment/installation-equipment/15-TV129 or you can twist them on https://www.cop-eu.com/installation-equipment/installation-equipment/PR010.

if you go with the twist-on you didn’t need a tool. If you go with crimps then you’ll want a crimping tool. https://www.cop-eu.com/installation-equipment/installation-equipment/PR046

A G

A G

Associate
OP
Thanks
not sure what you meant by red/black pair, i dont have any red?

is crimping the preferred method or would twist be just as effective?

EDIT:
I'm going to have to buy some tools for the CAT6 wiring internally.... would there be a tool that would cater to crimp both CAT6 and coaxial RG59B/U?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks
not sure what you meant by red/black pair, i dont have any red?

is crimping the preferred method or would twist be just as effective?

EDIT:
I'm going to have to buy some tools for the CAT6 wiring internally.... would there be a tool that would cater to crimp both CAT6 and coaxial RG59B/U?

Twist is every bit as good as crimp, but the connectors are 60p vs 20p for a crimp connector. You can crimp with a pair of pliers but the right tool does a MUCH better job.

A G

A G

Associate
OP
Thanks, Should I look to purchase crimp tool (if they make them) which will crimp both cat6 and coaxial?
I presume there is nothing similar to look out for when dealing with coaxial cables in comparison to cat6 which needs to follow 1 of the 2 cable principles of pairing up?

Soldato
I’m not aware of any BNC crimp tools that are also RJ45 tools.

and no, no special wiring diagrams or standards. Just keep the central conductor and the outer sheath separated in the connector and it will work.

A G

A G

Associate
OP
I've had the following cameras suggested to me, based on my requirements Coaxial, night colour, mic and light:
DS-2CE72DF3T-PIRXOS
But its 2mp - should that deter me from buying?

Soldato
Connectix/CCS cable stripper - little red thing with an enclosed v-shaped blade and a finger hole - about £6 or so from mulitple places. Works for UTP, shielded cables and coax.

As @Caged says all you need to do is score the outside and then bend the cable.
+1 that is exactly the tool I use and it works perfectly on 6 utp and 6a FTP cable.

Soldato
For home wiring you don't need or want a crimp tool. That is for making patch cables for which you need the more flexible stranded core wiring. Permanent home wiring should use solid core and terminate in sockets. For those you need a punch-down tool.

Don't bother diying patch cables from left over solid core, they're too inflexible. You're better off paying cable monkey or similar to send you premade ones. They'll make to order and you get cables that will work.

Soldato
I've had the following cameras suggested to me, based on my requirements Coaxial, night colour, mic and light:
DS-2CE72DF3T-PIRXOS
But its 2mp - should that deter me from buying?

It depends - are you happy trading 1080P picture quality for the microphone, PIR sensor and siren? In a £60 camera. What compromises were made to pack all those features into that camera for that little money? I suspect quite a few. The flip side of that argument is that it will all work, because… Hikvision. It’s also an F1.0 sensor so the low light performance should be excellent. And I’m still watching most of my TV in 1080P and it’s very good, so other than digital zoom, why go better for your security cameras?

A G

A G

Associate
OP
hmm, so I've compared the picture quality with a 5MP and things like car reg plates are pretty much non readable with 2MP when zoomed in, in normal daylight, let alone in darker settings.
I'm checking with the rep what others they can recommend, but it appears all the features i want are not available on the TVI cameras, such a shame

Soldato
hmm, so I've compared the picture quality with a 5MP and things like car reg plates are pretty much non readable with 2MP when zoomed in, in normal daylight, let alone in darker settings.
I'm checking with the rep what others they can recommend, but it appears all the features i want are not available on the TVI cameras, such a shame

They are available, just not with PoC. It does everything but you need to feed it 12V down those two extra wires.

Back
Top Bottom