Looking for a new monitor - 32" ODYSSEY G7 vs LG 32GP850-B

Soldato
So I got the Predator X38 today and it's 100 perfect no noticeable IPS glow the only thing is theres a single stuck green pixel sort of to the right of center screen. Only noticeable on black screens and just barely ... Ugh now what do I do :(

No idea if you can do it on that monitor but have you overclocked the refresh rate?

I got a stuck red pixel last night with the asus, could only seem to see it in games. Spent the night frantically trying to resolve it. Then rembered I had o.c.ed the screen. Set it back to native, red pixel disappeared.

I was surprised it worked, I was resolved to return the monitor, much to my regret, it was to the far right of the screen but really noticable.

I have no noticble glow or bleed aside from a small patch centre left of the screen, iritating but I can live with it.

Dailing the refresh down slightly is irritating but not a deal breaker still runs at its native refresh rate without issue.

Stuck pixel I could not live with.

p.s based on this experiance (rather than any understanding) I would try turning down the refresh rate, to see if it goes. If it does and returns at the advertised refresh rate, you have the cause, a q.c. issue. Although the panel types will not be the same, it may not work but worth a try as it would seem, refresh rate can cause such things, in some cases.

Last edited:
Soldato
It came already overclocked so I turned it off pretty much right away because I can't hit 175 in most games anyway lol but sadly it didn't go away.

Here's a picture of it...

https://imgur.com/gallery/CLHpPww

I feel you're pain. I did not think I would get my issue resolved and would be going through the hassle of parting with an other wise awesome monitor.

I spent a fair few hours last night, running pixel work outs, with a sinking feeling as it did not work. Clicking a setting and seeing it disappear, moment of joy, I did not think would happen.

I would return that instantly if it was me. a.s.a.p. Its a hassle but I could not live with that, so does not require thinking about.

Despite not having a perfect monitor the 32 inch 2560x1440, far more of an upgrade than I expected. Res is fine at 32 inches, games look sharp as a pin and runs well on my card.

Pretty awsome monitor and I suspect the L.G. and gigyabyte will also be rather impressive for less cash.

Anyway despite the low contrast, lower res. and basic H.D.R, the image quilty is suprisingly good. Which is the bummer if something goes wrong, as you do not want to part with it.

If you return it I would not rule out the new breed of 32 inch 2560x1440, they are impressive. They are also super responsive, so the upgrade in fluidity/ image quality, like a graphic card upgrade as well (I was already running at that res with 1080ti on an older 144 hz).

Last edited:
Associate
I switched from a dell alienware 3418dw ultrawide a couple of months ago to the G7 and absolutely love it. The curve was immediately noticeable but honestly, I stopped noticing after about 10 minutes. In terms of image quality it's a LOT brighter and the colours are punchier. The stand is OK, it lets you change height, tilt forwards/backwards and rotate left/right - it's a hell of a lot better than my last Samsung monitor, but it's not quite as high quality as the ones that come with Dell ultrawide screens. If you haven't tried using a high refresh rate monitor before, prepare your eyes as it's absolutely brilliant.

Associate
I still have the 32 inch Odyssey G7 at my house boxed up to return I just haven't done it yet. I really don't want to spend $1350 on the X38 with a stuck pixel or $1700 for brand new...I liked the G7 but the immersion and buttery smooth Gsync was just phenomenal on the X38...ugh I really don't know what to do here. Maybe I should wait and see if the stuck pixel goes away or if I can try some other tests for it.

Edit : I just picked up a LG 38GL950 for $1300 on amazon. I'm gonna keep the X38 for the week and compare to the LG and then make my ultimate decision.

As amazing as the G7 is it's gonna go back regardless. Once you go ultrawide it's very hard to go back!

Last edited:
Soldato
I liked the G7 but the immersion and buttery smooth Gsync was just phenomenal on the X38
Do you notice much of a difference between the G-Sync ‘compatible’ monitor(s) and the native G-Sync in the X38?
I’ve only owned one of the former (a Dell S2721DGF) but returned it after a few days as it just wasn’t for me so I never really got to test the difference in the sync between it and my Z35P.

Associate
Yes I have in fact as all my previous screens were just Gsync Compatible. First and foremost there was 0 flickering during menus and loading screens. Also seemed to be a lot less jitters and random flashing during games (I didn't experience that often just during certain games so it may not have been the screen itself) but during my tests with the X38 I noticed none of it. Buttery smooth even at lower framerates.

I noticed and "felt" enough of a difference in fact to make the decision to never buy a "Compatible" screen again. Full Gsync is the only way IMO and the price gap these days is negligible in most cases.

Soldato
That’s great to know thanks. I’ve only had native G-Sync monitors but had been considering a gsync compatible unit as my next purchase just to keep costs a bit lower but that gap isn’t as big as it used to be as has been mentioned.
In that case I’m glad I went with the Alienware 34 in the end, should arrive on Monday all being well. If that doesn’t cut it for me I’ll probably have to go for 38 model but that’s pretty much twice the price of the 34.

Soldato
Yes I have in fact as all my previous screens were just Gsync Compatible. First and foremost there was 0 flickering during menus and loading screens. Also seemed to be a lot less jitters and random flashing during games (I didn't experience that often just during certain games so it may not have been the screen itself) but during my tests with the X38 I noticed none of it. Buttery smooth even at lower framerates.

I noticed and "felt" enough of a difference in fact to make the decision to never buy a "Compatible" screen again. Full Gsync is the only way IMO and the price gap these days is negligible in most cases.

I think you are unnecessarly limiting youreself. I am sensitive to lag, got a gsynic compatable display. Now running it with a 3080, but the motion clarity and smoothness, you really have to use it, it is truly impressive. Clarity in particular, new I.P.S panels, really are impressive. Only issue is the panel lottery, mine has really minimal backlight glow, barely noticable, but got a really bright glow to the centre left of the bottom of the screen, wondering if its taken a hit or been dropped at some point in transit.

Whatever, I may return it, played some darker games really noticable. Just put it on a black screen, its worse than I thought, really bright white glow in the centre, then two smaller glowing patches that look sort of like a burn mark, in colour.

But anyway, I have had two gsyinc compatable monitors, jitters, random flashes, never experianced this, simple smooth game play with increased clarity and the new I.P.S monitors have improved on that. Image quality on mine and fluidity is outstanding.

But you run with what you are comfortable with. Lot of this is subjective and down to personal preference/ history.

Soldato
p.s. What are peoples experiance of returning monitors in the U.K? Never had to do it. Is it relativly hassle free? I want to try a second version of the screen, although don't really fancy the idea of having to return a product twice.

Permabanned
Associate
I just returned my 32” G7 because of the curve in anything none gaming. I think I preferred the colours on my X34P too, so will hang onto that a little longer until something substantially better comes out. I like curve but 1000R is too aggressive for stuff like Excel and general windows stuff. 1800R on a 34” UW is fine for me.

Caporegime
I just returned my 32” G7 because of the curve in anything none gaming. I think I preferred the colours on my X34P too, so will hang onto that a little longer until something substantially better comes out. I like curve but 1000R is too aggressive for stuff like Excel and general windows stuff. 1800R on a 34” UW is fine for me.
Some cure on UW, between 1800R and 3800R, is to be expected, and probably somewhat desirable.

1000R curve even on their 27" non-UW models is just bonkers.

Associate
I've been looking at these. Not sure if I want to go from an IPS panel to a VA but not sure if i want to go from 27 @ 1440p to 32 @ 1440p that looks like 1080p, either. My 27" is starting to get harder to read or the text it a lot smaller than it used to look so maybe the 32" is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom