Removing bath waste - screw spinning continuously

Associate
Trying to remove the the waste on my bath as it needs replacing, however the screw which holds it down is continuously spinning. It is also a very wide screw which has two slots on either side instead of one continuous slot. I think would need a screwdriver with a head about 20mm wide to easily rotate it. Have been using a steel rule which does work but is a bit awkward. Can't seem to find anything else I have which would be more suitable to unscrew it. Anyway the main issue is that despite turning it several times, it doesn't seem to be getting any looser. Any ideas how I can go about getting this off? See pictures below.

eNVMCF1.jpg

Associate
OP
The actual waste will be secured from underneath. Not sure which bit you are hoping to replace from above the bath.

I am aware of that but you obviously need to remove the plughole bit inside the bath before you can remove the rest of the waste from underneath as they are screwed together with the screw which is pictured. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works? It's certainly how the new one which I have bought to replace it goes together.

Use a 2p or 10p coin :)

This was a good shout, cheers. The 2p coin and a set of pliers gives much better purchase on the screw slot than anything I tried previously. It does however, still just seem to spin continuously without loosening at all which is annoying. I guess the thread is knackered.

I guess the only way to maybe get this out now would be to drill the screw out? Unless anyone has any other ideas?

And yes I could call a plumber, but if people always called professionals in then there would be a lot less posts in the home and garden section wouldn't there? Plus there is about a 6 week wait for a plumber round here at the moment!

Soldato
Did one afew weeks back, was leaking same thing screw in middle but mine was OK, I would have probebly cut the plastic from underneath if mine had done that, think mine had Afew plastic arms leading to the thread, at work or I would send pic of my old one

Soldato
This was a good shout, cheers. The 2p coin and a set of pliers gives much better purchase on the screw slot than anything I tried previously. It does however, still just seem to spin continuously without loosening at all which is annoying. I guess the thread is knackered.

I guess the only way to maybe get this out now would be to drill the screw out? Unless anyone has any other ideas?

You need to try and pull/lever with a screwdriver on the screw as you turn it or as you turn the screw with the coin, use a flat bladed screwdriver between the bath and the plastic waste underneath to force the screw and waste apart.

Associate
OP
So I finally got round to tackling this today. Tried to lever the screw up with various implements as I turned it. No joy. Resorted to cutting the spokes (not sure if that's the right word but I'm sure you know what I mean) with a dremel. This then allowed me to seperate the drain bit that sits in the bath with the waste trap below, unscrew the lot and replace it. Bit of a faff but it's done now. Just thought I'd update incase anyone else has the same problem in future.

Back
Top Bottom