BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Soldato
Overall thoughts on this pls? I'm clueless when it comes to BMWs, is t here anything it's likely to need doing in the way of maintenance, preventative or otherwise or common faults at this age/mileage?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-e...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Seems expensive given the mileage.

Cruise control, for me, is a must on these, as they’re excellent touring cars.

Rubbish alloys.

Not keen on the steering wheel change - the original is much nicer.

Not sure on the upgraded exhaust - the stock one is already decently loud, and can be droney. I wouldn’t personally want an upgraded one.

It has the pro audio system (upgraded from stock) which is, IMO a must on these as the stock one is horrendous.

My dad has had one for about 4 years and hasn’t had any additional maintenance costs other than standard stuff, but it has only done 57k miles.

Engine is phenomenal though and it’s very rapid :)

NA I6 is a dying breed.

Soldato
Just dropped the F15 in for service and we (unfortunately) spied a G05 sitting there looking a little sad (not prepped).

Sales guy came out and seemed really nice (shock!), gave us the keys and said bring it back before he leaves at 7.

I was all for keeping the F15 as it offers everything we need, other than upgrading back to the M50d and that it never gets over 31MPG on a long trip, whereas our M50d used to do 38MPG.

The G05 40d is incredible................. and really makes the F15 seem like the ancient modified E70 it really is. Plus the power/torque bump makes it feel and be a similar pace to the F15 M50d. The tech is also incredible and the Tech Plus Pack combined with the comfort seats and all the other options makes it feel truly starship like.

Balls :D

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
While i dont doubt that the G05 is amazing (jel! :D), why do you reference the E70 when it comes to the F15? I was under the impression that the F15 was very much an F generation car sharing everything with the F01/F10 base? (Not that this negates you calling it ancient, i feel so old when i think that the F01 is now 13 years old!)

Caporegime
Just dropped the F15 in for service and we (unfortunately) spied a G05 sitting there looking a little sad (not prepped).

Sales guy came out and seemed really nice (shock!), gave us the keys and said bring it back before he leaves at 7.

I was all for keeping the F15 as it offers everything we need, other than upgrading back to the M50d and that it never gets over 31MPG on a long trip, whereas our M50d used to do 38MPG.

The G05 40d is incredible................. and really makes the F15 seem like the ancient modified E70 it really is. Plus the power/torque bump makes it feel and be a similar pace to the F15 M50d. The tech is also incredible and the Tech Plus Pack combined with the comfort seats and all the other options makes it feel truly starship like.

Balls :D
Selling cars done right! When will you be placing the order and when is delivery expected?

Soldato
While i dont doubt that the G05 is amazing (jel! :D), why do you reference the E70 when it comes to the F15? I was under the impression that the F15 was very much an F generation car sharing everything with the F01/F10 base? (Not that this negates you calling it ancient, i feel so old when i think that the F01 is now 13 years old!)

I thought whilst it was undoubtedly better, but it just seemed like a tweaked E70 inside with newer tech. I still think the F15 is a great SUV, we tried far too many and the overall package was class winning for what we need. The older Cayenne with the 4.2 V8 Diesel was hilarious, but the M50d was just as good (not in sound terms obviously), but trounced the Cayenne in every other way apart from handling.

I'm also a fan of older cars and have never been one for the latest tech, but this well optioned G05 honestly had me picking my jaw up off the sofa like comfort seats. Maybe I'm just getting a bit older :D

Selling cars done right! When will you be placing the order and when is delivery expected?

Exactly, I was shocked as we normally find dealer trips a challenge and chore, with many staff being judgemental and treat us like clueless buyers who only understand 'How much can u afford a month' and 'what do you do/earn'.

Not placing an order for a new car, we prefer some depreciation taken out of the equation and don't plan on waiting a long time, considering the semiconductor shortages these days. Plus the value of a 2-3yr old car these days is still well above what we paid, so the perfect time to cash in.

Man of Honour
I thought whilst it was undoubtedly better, but it just seemed like a tweaked E70 inside with newer tech.

It isn't - its an all new car on a new platform. However, the E70 was always an odd car because it was essentially an E60 based SUV but didn't come out until half way through the life of the E60 and only a year before the F01 appeared. This means that despite being on the E60 platform and essentially being an E60, it did start to introduce some of the interior styling that would later appear again on the newer BMW's. So, it's not so much that the F15 was a 'modified E70' more that the E70 was cosmetically, though not technologically, fresher than it otherwise might have been.

This has always been a problem with the X5. It always used to come out 3-4 years after the 5 Series on which it was based meaning that despite being 'all new' and really rather expensive it was half dated from day 1 every time - the original appeared a good 3-4 years after the E39, the E70 almost 4 years after we first saw the E60 and the F15 3.5 years after the F10 on which it was based. Meaning you always found yourself in a situation of paying big money for familiar, if not dated, platform.

This is probably why BMW broke from tradition and replaced the F15 earlier than it normally does - it was in production for less time than usual and the G01 came earlier than expected. This has corrected it a bit.

Personally I found the G05 to be a car with significant wow factor on first impression - I really, really liked it for the first few days I had one but the longer I spent with it the less enthusiastic I became until the point at which I handed it back indifferent to whether I ever drove one again. Everything I loved about it - and there was lots - was also present on the 5 Series touring. But much of this is probably my own personal preference against the SUV as a vehicle type. There is no doubt that as far as SUV's go the G05 is excellent.

Soldato

The wifes X3 20d only just gets 38mpg. We really should have gone for the 30d. I'm surprised at that for the M50d

Rethinks X5 PHEV idea

Soldato
As an overall average or on a long trip? As an overall average that's pretty good for an SUV.

Overall avg I suppose. It seems the 20d is being worked harder for a big'ish car than say the 30d which i believe returns better mpg.

Struggling to find a x5PHEV with the spec we want

Man of Honour
Averages are so difficult to use for comparison purchases though. My 530d routinely hits 50mpg on a long motorway run which I'm very happy with, but despite this my lifetime average over 5 years is the same 38mpg you're getting from that X3.

I do not believe it to be the case that the 3 litre is more efficient than the 2 litre - in my experience across the same cars it's usually about 10% better. Which, for me, isn't nearly enough to make it worth it over a 30d but it isn't worse.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The wifes X3 20d only just gets 38mpg. We really should have gone for the 30d. I'm surprised at that for the M50d

Rethinks X5 PHEV idea

No way is the 30d better than the 20d, like for like. Averages are near meaningless when shared with people with entirely different circumstances and locations over the internet.

Our X3 30d only achieves an average for comparison of around 30mpg, it lives locally rarely venturing much further than our local town, some 5 miles away. It'll manage 45mpg on a longer journey, and did average better, up toward the 35mpg area before we bought a 2nd (now main) SUV, which has removed all of the longer journeys from the X3.

Soldato
Our driving can be VERY mixed, 3-4 miles per day into town 5x a week then a 400 mile round trip if I get called out to work. which could also be 5 x a week

Thats the idea behind the X5PHEV
Plus it goes to help offset the M5 Comp a little

Back
Top Bottom