Headphone Recommendations for Music & Gaming

Associate
Goodevening all,
as the title says, I'm looking for some headphones for listening to music and playing FPS games on my pc.
I won't be using an amp, just connecting via the 1/4" jack input of my Asus motherboard which uses Supreme FX audio so impedance needs to be considered.
Looking for a wide soundstage, can be either open or closed - noise cancellation isn't an issue and I'm on a budget of up to £150 (£200 if compelling enough)
I've previously had a pair of Beyerdynamic 990 Pro's and I'm after recommendations of a similar nature - AKG, Sennheiser, HiFiMan etc.
No mic is required but not against one either.
Any suggestions are appreciated!
Joe

Soldato
DT990's loudness curve shaped response gives above neutral bass for good "fun factor" in gaming, but without compromising in details too much.
Not exactly many headphones with similar type of sound.

For example AKG K702 is clear amount better for details, but bass immersion is equally much behind.
Also "automatically" adjusting headband could struggle with different head shapes/sizes.
K712 adds bass (of course details not at level of K702) being closer to DT990, but price of replacement ear pads is crazy.
Sennheiser again is more towards mids focused sound.

Associate
Love mine DT770.
When people mention bass, I haven't used the headphone to play last week, but when I did, I was happy with how nice and balanced the bass is.
My speakers, Edifier S350DB offer nice bass, but unless I'm playing them a bit loud, the immersion using the headphone is better.
The 80ohm version was fine for my Asus X570-F, which they say can handle up to 600ohm headphones.
They can, but the detail of the sound, even for my untrained ears, was nowhere as good as the Creative G6, plus the auto switch between sources when plugging the headphone, sold it to me.
Safe bet would be either a DT770 if you want a bit more bass, as a closed back headphone or the DT990 if you prefer a more natural sound and the characteristics of an open back headphone aren't an issue for you (outside noise).
Some refurbs G6 usually available from the manufacturer's website, 70ish.

Associate
OP
Hey guys,

thanks for both your responses and suggestions.

I never had any issues with my DT990’s when I had them, I was just considering a change - perhaps the 990 Pro’s are still the way to go. Is it worth considering the closed 990’s or the 990 Pro’s Black? - I don’t know if they’re differing Ohm’s or in fact what Ohm would be best for me. Maybe the 770’s are worth considering too - I won’t be using the headphones solely for FPS so would like a quality ‘all round’ experience.

The only other potential candidates I’ve come across are the Sennheiser HD650/599/560X or Audio Technica ATH-AD700X - thought I’d come across more Sennheiser suggestions tbh but it either of you have any experience with those it would be handy to know!

Cheers!
Joe

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it worth considering the closed 990’s or the 990 Pro’s Black? - I don’t know if they’re differing Ohm’s or in fact what Ohm would be best for me. Maybe the 770’s are worth considering too - I won’t be using the headphones solely for FPS so would like a quality ‘all round’ experience.

The only other potential candidates I’ve come across are the Sennheiser HD650/599/560X or Audio Technica ATH-AD700X
DT990 is always open.
DT990 (Edition/Premium) and DT990 Pro just have different decorative cover.
Plus harder clamping force and coiled cable in Pro.

DT770 is actually pretty impressive for closed headphone of its price for gaming with HRTF.
While not having largest sound stage it's still good with great positioning.
Though closed design gives strong lowest "rumbling" bass making simultaneous foot steps etc harder to distinguish.

If you like good bass immersion better forget that Audio-Technica.
Its lower bass falls even below AKG K702.

HD650 is aimed for so called "warm" sound which actually means less accurate sound and hence would be downgrade for gaming with more cramped sound stage.
HD599 is also tuned more toward that warm sound than its predecessors and uses mechanically "less than optimal" single sided ear cup attaching:
It might look very fancy, but durability wise it's lousy focusing and creating stresses and demanding top notch plastic alloy.

HD560S should be sound wise quite accurate and balanced, but has that same mechanical design.
And apparently clamping force is really high as new.

Associate
OP
EsaT,
you are killing it with this information…
making my decision so much easier!

Looks like it’s between 990 Edition and the Pro’s again then!

Now you mention it, the coiled cable was my only minor gripe with my past 990 Pro’s - but the the 990 Premium/Edition’s 3m long cable might be a pain too.. I do wonder if the slightly lesser clamping force makes any major difference though.

Guess I’ll need to do a little bit more research as to which to go for but I’m almost there thanks to you!

Last edited:
Soldato
"I've previously had a pair of Beyerdynamic 990 Pro's and I'm after recommendations of a similar nature - AKG, Sennheiser, HiFiMan etc."

Upgrade from the 990 pro, The Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro and a Creative G6. Not in budget but this is where I would be looking if I already had 990s. The 1990s also come with mini XLR so you can connect a mic if needed

I have the closed back version of the 1990, the 1770 pro
Fantastic headphones with great soundstage for closed backs
I upgraded to these from AKG K702s (open) Soundstage isnt as good which is to be expected but the bass and sub bass is beautiful and I finally dont have to listen to city noise, the mrs hoovering or blowdrying her hair and eurovision whilst I listen for enemies in game or playing music!

Associate
EsaT,
you are killing it with this information…
making my decision so much easier!

Looks like it’s between 990 Edition and the Pro’s again then!

Now you mention it, the coiled cable was my only minor gripe with my past 990 Pro’s - but the the 990 Premium/Edition’s 3m long cable might be a pain too.. I do wonder if the slightly lesser clamping force makes any major difference though.

Guess I’ll need to do a little bit more research as to which to go for but I’m almost there thanks to you!

"I've previously had a pair of Beyerdynamic 990 Pro's and I'm after recommendations of a similar nature - AKG, Sennheiser, HiFiMan etc."

Upgrade from the 990 pro, The Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro and a Creative G6. Not in budget but this is where I would be looking if I already had 990s. The 1990s also come with mini XLR so you can connect a mic if needed

I have the closed back version of the 1990, the 1770 pro
Fantastic headphones with great soundstage for closed backs
I upgraded to these from AKG K702s (open) Soundstage isnt as good which is to be expected but the bass and sub bass is beautiful and I finally dont have to listen to city noise, the mrs hoovering or blowdrying her hair and eurovision whilst I listen for enemies in game or playing music!

I have a set of the Black Edition DT990 Pro and now have also purchased the DT1990 to go with a Creative G6 for PS5 gaming and a ifi Zen Dac for PC work/music use.

Personally, I put a set of grey pads on the DT990 Pro Black (kind of defeats the object I know) but the grey pads feel much softer and more comfortable to me. Also, I much prefer the straight cable which I feel is more manageable than the coiled one which can feel heavy to me depending how the cable runs to your device I guess. Either way, you can always get them modded to have a mini XLR or 3.5mm port at a later date (maybe once warranty has expired).

I do prefer the DT1990 (would hope I did given the price difference) but the 990 are a great all round set - superb for gaming and with a bit of an Eq tweak, can be decent for music etc also.

Soldato
Either way, you can always get them modded to have a mini XLR or 3.5mm port at a later date (maybe once warranty has expired).

I looked at this and total cost would have been at least £140 to have them modded properly. I was thinking of getting DT770s and sending them off for modding but with headphones it would have been close to £250 (plus voiding the warranty)
Doing it yourself saves the £140 but you need all the tools and to not break them (which would be quite easy to accidentally do) I know for a fact my butter fingers would break them in attempt at modding

Seemed easier for me to buy the 1770 pros :)

Associate
OP
I have a set of the Black Edition DT990 Pro and now have also purchased the DT1990 to go with a Creative G6 for PS5 gaming and a ifi Zen Dac for PC work/music use.

Personally, I put a set of grey pads on the DT990 Pro Black (kind of defeats the object I know) but the grey pads feel much softer and more comfortable to me. Also, I much prefer the straight cable which I feel is more manageable than the coiled one which can feel heavy to me depending how the cable runs to your device I guess. Either way, you can always get them modded to have a mini XLR or 3.5mm port at a later date (maybe once warranty has expired).

I do prefer the DT1990 (would hope I did given the price difference) but the 990 are a great all round set - superb for gaming and with a bit of an Eq tweak, can be decent for music etc also.

Think I’m gonna for for the DT990 Edition or the DT990 Pro Black version if I can find a pair for a reasonable price. I want the straight cable as like you say, I too found the 990 Pro’s coiled cable heavy!

My only concern and I don’t know if anyone has any experience with both of those headphones personally is the headband, obviously the 990 Edition had a lighter clamping force because there is no metal bar running through the headband but I’ve read that compared to the Pro’s, their durability/longevity isn’t as solid due to that very reason.

I can’t imagine it will be an issue for me as they won’t be leaving the house or thrown around and I’ll be taking sweet care of the ol’ girls.

Cheers for all the help guys, has helped me massively!

Last edited:
Soldato
Think I’m gonna for for the DT990 Edition or the DT990 Pro Black version if I can find a pair for a reasonable price. I want the straight cable as like you say, I too found the 990 Pro’s coiled cable heavy!

My only concern and I don’t know if anyone has any experience with both of those headphones personally is the headband, obviously the 990 Edition had a lighter clamping force because there is no metal bar running through the headband but I’ve read that compared to the Pro’s, their durability/longevity isn’t as solid due to that very reason.
All DT 770-990 models have metal head band. (Sennheiser is the maker using plastic)
Pro models just have higher clamping force variant.
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/metal-head-bow.html
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/metal-head-bow-pro.html

It's certainly easier to bundle unneeded cable length than stretch/carry weight of coiled cable.

Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom