Valve announces the SteamDeck

Associate
On a 1080p screen?

I've no doubts it'll perform well for it's own low res screen but 1080p will be double the pixel count.

In all honesty, for anyone happy with low res, medium details I suspect you could easily put together a capable £459 gaming PC if people are thinking of using this docked as some sort of cheap entry to PC gaming as Raymond's post starts to suggest.

It's a good bit of kit for what it is but I think people are already getting carried away - @jonneymendoza is looking at it wondering if what amounts to a 'mobile phone style' SoC is going to be on par with a 2070 mobile GPU for £459. It's clearly not.

Well the quoted res is 720p - don't think its been confirmed if it is 1280x720p / standard HD though. For the just portability and flexibility of gaming on the move, I would be happy with that. Had no issues playing games on the switch with an even lower res. It would be worth it for multiple platforms to open up like steam, xbox/gamepass/PS remote play and playing/streaming them when I'm mostly busy taking care of my little one and won't have time to properly sit down and game.

I don't think it's an entry-level into PC gaming per se it would appear to be a different arc/movement in its own right. It's more of an extension of owning a PC to use on the go or for gamers who want a PC but can't yet afford the expense / suffering from lack of availability on higher-end hardware. It could act as a stop-gap.

It's definitely not on par with a 2070 mobile that's definitely not what it is. The dev's quoted the power as being similar to base PS4 / Xbox one which isn't shabby at all in a handheld.

Soldato
Well the quoted res is 720p - don't think its been confirmed if it is 1280x720p / standard HD though. For the just portability and flexibility of gaming on the move, I would be happy with that. Had no issues playing games on the switch with an even lower res. It would be worth it for multiple platforms to open up like steam, xbox/gamepass/PS remote play and playing/streaming them when I'm mostly busy taking care of my little one and won't have time to properly sit down and game.

I don't think it's an entry-level into PC gaming per se it would appear to be a different arc/movement in its own right. It's more of an extension of owning a PC to use on the go or for gamers who want a PC but can't yet afford the expense / suffering from lack of availability on higher-end hardware. It could act as a stop-gap.

It's definitely not on par with a 2070 mobile that's definitely not what it is. The dev's quoted the power as being similar to base PS4 / Xbox one which isn't shabby at all in a handheld.

The screen res is listed at 1280x800, which it'll be absolutely fine for, not disputing that, if that's what people want.

The point I was making is that it's not really right to be looking at it as a £459 entry level gaming PC as was being suggested, it isn't that and I don't think it'll perform all that well if you dock it and want to run 1080p stuff.

And if you are happy with a gaming PC that only runs stuff at 720p, then i'm sure you probably could buy one for £459 :p

Soldato
I am not the target market as I have no need for mobile gaming but I like it for what it is, good to see another name in the mobile gaming space other than Nintendo and Nvidia.

Definitely gives me gamegear/lynx steam controller mashup vibes, seems quite large though, would be interested to get one in hand and see how it feels.

Soldato
I like this a lot, but I've had my eye on the GDP Win mini PCs that are very similar to this for a few years now.

With those you get a mini keyboard as well as Windows 10, along with integrated controllers but they do cost a lot more.

I think Steam have learned from various hardware non successes like the Steam controller and Steam consoles, I expect this to be very good, the price is good too, but I think I'll wait and see what the next GPD Wins are like as well.

I've had the GPD Win 1, 2, and now I'm onto the Win Max - Absolutely amazing bits of kit. Looking to buy the Win 3 later in the year, but the Max is so great I'm in no rush. Playing GTA 5, Fallout 3, anything I've tried so far, on the move is perfect, my days of having a gaming PC are well over.

Soldato
I love the look of it, unsure if I have enough of a use case for it right now but maybe someday in the future

It's funny how easily they've taken a simple and basic step that all but destroys scalping for it - why didn't MS and Sony think of that?!

Also fair play to them for not locking it down, allowing you to do what you want with it, even install EGS if you want - I wonder if Epic could be bothered to invest anything into the PC space would an Epic-produced handheld allow you to load up Steam if you wanted?

Finally, the best name I have heard about for the Steam Deck by far is the "Steam GabeBoy" :D

Associate
Ok, I know NVME etc is faster, but...it's got expandable storage, so chuck in a £30 1tb card and it makes the 512gb one a bit redundant? Probably me missing something...

interested. i can see this getting good use in the lounge when my partner is doing her thing on the tv and i want to chill with her.

i'm shocked the name is allowed.

sounds so similiar to streamdeck that i struggle to not call it that.

glad to hear there are track pads on it, though looking at the video of it being used, the precision and speed of moving that a mouse allows, doens't look like it is there for the trackpad

would be nice if it comes with a nintendo style dock.

given nintendo make money not just on the console but also the games sold, i'm shocked that this device is priced as high as it is.

64gb base storage is the most lame part of this device imo.

the idea that you can play on the steamdeck, stop, then load up on pc and continue where you left off, is very neat.

this isn't the first time i've seen portal used as an example of a game to play on some latest innovation. isn't this clear there they need to make more portal bloody games ffs?

Last edited:
Soldato
Wrong. Valve are only letting people order for the first 48hrs who have had steam and have brought anything prior to June 2021. Basically stopping scalpers and bots from ordering it from new accounts. Easy solution.

That only stops new accounts, doesn't mean it won't happen. There is always going to be them individuals who already have accounts like this who will simply just buy to sell on for profit.

Associate
That only stops new accounts, doesn't mean it won't happen. There is always going to be them individuals who already have accounts like this who will simply just buy to sell on for profit.

Then that is on them. At least there won't be a false market being driven high by scalpers initially buying all the stock (for 48hrs of initial orders anyway). There might be low uptake meaning anyone looking to sell for a profit is unlikely to as it could be readily available meaning scalping won't drive a supply/demand market.

This is after all a niche product and many PC Gamers/Enthusiasts will readily look past this as it isn't relevant to them.

Soldato
And ironically a new Stream Deck was announced by Elgato yesterday. :cry:

Re: Valve's machine, the thing I want to know now is the price of the dock. I've seen one or two people talking like it comes with the Steamdeck... It doesn't.

Soldato
Exactly. It's a handheld laptop with less spec and less versatility. It's your money and you don't need my permission to spend it, but I don't see any reason to buy this thing other than "I like toys".
What if you've not got a gaming appropriate PC and want a good value way to dip into PC gaming without the faff of a build?

Soldato
And ironically a new Stream Deck was announced by Elgato yesterday. :cry:

Re: Valve's machine, the thing I want to know now is the price of the dock. I've seen one or two people talking like it comes with the Steamdeck... It doesn't.

Seems you will be able to use current usb type c hubs and no doubt there will be prints available soon enough to incorporate them into a stand.

Soldato
Does anyone know if this will allow you to launch non-Steam games? Like from Uplay, Gog, Battlenet, Origin etc? Also can you install Windows as a 2nd OS instead of wiping the device?

I'm so tempted but need more information.

Associate
Does anyone know if this will allow you to launch non-Steam games? Like from Uplay, Gog, Battlenet, Origin etc? Also can you install Windows as a 2nd OS instead of wiping the device?

I'm so tempted but need more information.

Yes it is a pc and can run anything including windows. You could install windows onto a SD and boot off that yep or wipe the internal and install it there.

Back
Top Bottom