how to remove base plate screw cover of window handle?

Soldato
Normally the screw cover on the base plate of the handle is pretty straight forward but without removing the handle this one seems kind'a locked in, as the cover is a single piece of metal covering the entire base plate. Any ideas?

PVgKSJV.jpeg

tsbzCSD.jpg

Soldato
mine have embedded posidrives, also covered in epoxy paint, so I'd need to cut that to unbolt them,
if its an inset hex bolt, as it appears, can it only be done up from inside ? is that another bolt head between the two metal catches too ?

Soldato
OP
i can bend the metal cover back far enough to see that it's just a philips head screw underneath. i'll damage the cover if i keep bending it though. I think I have to undo the bush on the handle somehow, and that'll allow me to rotate the cover, but i've no idea how.

Soldato
Normally the screw cover on the base plate of the handle is pretty straight forward but without removing the handle this one seems kind'a locked in, as the cover is a single piece of metal covering the entire base plate. Any ideas?

I'd like to know as well - this has bamboozled me - one window doesnt lock and I guess it needs lubricating or replacing - cannot see how it comes off either!!
Mel

Soldato
I know it looks like it's a painted screw, but it isn't it's just a metal cover - dunno why they've cast it like that +shrug+

These are non serviceable.

You will need to bend the cover plate back that is stuck down to unscrew.

Then, you can live with: the minor visual imperfections/crease once bent back and reglued or a missing cap piece if you cut it off or simply replace with one of these. At £8 and with all the fitting options it's much less hassle.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mila-lh-rh-prolinea-espagnolette-upvc-window-handle-white/5961g

When they still used the glued in place style they were circa £1-£3 to replace the whole handle at rrp. Usually, they would last the life of the frame anyway.

Soldato
OP
ahhh haaa! i figured it out. I had to press down on the two catches as hard as I could and then I could rotate the cover around on the handle shaft:

bN2Mwna.png

thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom