I've gone Bavarian! 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Soldato
It's not though because without them on a 4 Series you get the rubbish looking manual adjustment levers - the memory seat option adds full electric adjustment.

Does the adjustability change at all between manual and electric seats?

One of the pros to having the electric seats in the Octavia is that you get additional adjustments, so the seat base can be height adjusted or tilted for example, where the manual seats can only adjust height.

Soldato
Does the adjustability change at all between manual and electric seats?

One of the pros to having the electric seats in the Octavia is that you get additional adjustments, so the seat base can be height adjusted or tilted for example, where the manual seats can only adjust height.

It will be a finer adjustment on electric, as it’s usually done via a long threaded piece of metal and motor.

With a normal adjustment it’s usually just a latch, kind of like on a workout bench if you’ve ever used one :)

Soldato
It will be a finer adjustment on electric, as it’s usually done via a long threaded piece of metal and motor.

With a normal adjustment it’s usually just a latch, kind of like on a workout bench if you’ve ever used one :)

I appreciate there's that difference, that's part and parcel of the different tech.

What i'm trying to ask is whether 'electric seats' is more than just the same seats with electric adjustment, as in my Octavia it's an upgraded seat that can adjust in more directions than the manual seats. Almost like a 'stealth' upgrade, do you get more than what it says on the tin? :p

Caporegime
Honestly, the electric seats, whilst better looking from a control perspective, are IMO worse from a usability point of view.

Go to get in the car after the wife has used it, have to wait 4 hours whilst the seat slowly moves back to where it should be. With a manual seat (like those in my TT) I know how many pulls of the height adjustment lever I need to move from "her" position to mine, and likewise can move fore/aft in seconds, I can be ready to set off in <5s.

Man of Honour
Honestly, the electric seats, whilst better looking from a control perspective, are IMO worse from a usability point of view.

Go to get in the car after the wife has used it, have to wait 4 hours whilst the seat slowly moves back to where it should be. With a manual seat (like those in my TT) I know how many pulls of the height adjustment lever I need to move from "her" position to mine, and likewise can move fore/aft in seconds, I can be ready to set off in <5s.

What?

Surely you just use key memory - so in the time it takes between you press unlock and going to sit down it's already moved the seat into position for you?

Soldato
I appreciate there's that difference, that's part and parcel of the different tech.

What i'm trying to ask is whether 'electric seats' is more than just the same seats with electric adjustment, as in my Octavia it's an upgraded seat that can adjust in more directions than the manual seats. Almost like a 'stealth' upgrade, do you get more than what it says on the tin? :p

I know on some BMWs, the electric seats add in tilt functionality to the seat. I’ve always liked this, as it’s meant I can give myself more under thigh support while keeping my seat low :)

Caporegime
What?

Surely you just use key memory - so in the time it takes between you press unlock and going to sit down it's already moved the seat into position for you?

Of course we are using key memory.

If there wasn't so much of a difference between the two driving positions that might work, but as my wife is damn near a dwarf, the seat is moving almost it's entire fore/aft AND up/down movement, which takes a while.

Man of Honour
I presume you have comfort access meaning you don't send the unlock command until you're opening the door.

Just unlock it off the key instead, then by the time you walk over and open the door the job is complete :D

Soldato
Of course we are using key memory.

If there wasn't so much of a difference between the two driving positions that might work, but as my wife is damn near a dwarf, the seat is moving almost it's entire fore/aft AND up/down movement, which takes a while.

I'm 6'4 and my fiancée is 5'2, so basically opposite ends of the spectrum - if you open the car as you're locking the front door it's finished moving by the time you're at the car...

Caporegime
I'm surprised you even need that. I opened the roof off the key on a courtesy 420d Cabrio once, that was a 2016 car.
Must have had comfort access, without the comfort access module it cannot be coded.

Obviously 3rd party hardware like the above exists, but I’d want to be sure it was seamless and reliable.

Also, 4-pot diesel cabrio, tragic.

Caporegime
OP
Life with a modern BMW can be kind of dull. Absolutely nothing of note has happened or gone wrong. I had to put more air into the rear tyres once to satisfy the OBC and it's over zealous monitors. I've filled up the screen wash a couple of times but other than that it's been faultless. MOT time on Thursday but I'm not expecting anything untoward at all.

Average fuel consumption has been 30.344MPG and with the price of Petrol life with a 2.0 Turbo is proving expensive (to me at least!) at £141 spent last month. The Shift to E10 and the subsequent loss in MPG doesn't help. It's due a service in March but I may stretch that out a little, I've only done 5 thousand miles since I bought it and about 10% of that was the journey from picking it up and driving it home.

Man of Honour
It's due a service in March but I may stretch that out a little

What is the value in doing that? If it's been 2 years since the last one it needs another regardless of mileage. Time can be just as harsh on a car as miles, if not more so in many cases.

Back
Top Bottom