New build help (and advice) - Quiet, White and a touch of Gaming <£1500

Associate
Hi there :)

My wife's laptop of 12 years is finally on it's last legs (reached the end of possible CPU and RAM upgrades) and she's looking to try out a little MMOPRG gaming for the first time! (plus some video production and editing).

With that in mind, she would prefer a quiet desktop PC and one that is White (at least not Black (or Beige)...).

I've thrown together some initial specs which I'd appreciate some advice on.
  • The MB is currently out of stock, so alternatives would be great (must have wi-fi, or maybe add a wi-fi/BT card?),
  • The Monitor is Black (suggestions welcome)
  • No idea just how noisy the GFX will be, so again, any thoughts please
  • Anything I've forgotten? (speakers for instance)
I've sourced a Keyboard and Mouse, and will need to budget in for Win 10.

I'd obviously like to spend less :D but budget tops out at £1,500.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,400.82 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Soldato
For a few pounds more I would change to theis cooler. It will still fit in the case.

Total: £32.73 (includes shipping: £2.74)​

Motherboard.

Total: £109.85 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

I would rather use a good airflow case with pwm fans set to quiet mode on the motherboard than a noise damped case as the damping can increase the temps and the nova (non-mesh) hasnt got good airflow.
The description of the case linked is for the more expensive mesh SE and not this one which has a solid case side not a window so the black fans wont show.

Total: £64.66 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Windows 10 keys can be had for £20ish on various places.

Associate
Agree with the above poster on motherboard. No need for a £165 ROG Strix motherboard, she won't see any difference whatsoever between that and a £100 board. You aren't actually using any features of B550 so you could even go with B450 which can be had extremely cheap now (£50-60).

Not sure about the case, I'd go with Fractal Design or BeQuiet which will both most likely offer lower noise levels as well as better airflow (and look nicer imo).

Good selections other than that, it'll make a nice build.

EDIT: forgot to comment on the GPU. No experience with that specific card but I do with many others including Inno3d - that card will almost certainly be very noisy under load and the loudest part of the build. Consider holding out to find a better model.

Soldato
(plus some video production and editing).
That's going to need CPU power and expensive motherboard won't help any in that when CPU is dated 2019 model with only basic amount of cores.
Either 8 core 3700X or faster Zen3 architecture 5600X would be better choises for that budget.

Soldato
I've built in that Mesh SE case and it's not ideal for mech drives. The cage is the thinnest aluminium ever and wobbly. The PCI expansion slot mechanism is also weak and doesn't hold up graphics cards with a bit of weight to them. The few holes in the mechanism are also too big for the normal PCI thumbscrews (not provided because you're not supposed to need them but actually do because of how poor the design or fabrication is). Had to resort to using a ziptie to hold the graphics card level.

Other than that, once you get everything in somehow... it's an effective, cheap case with good airflow. If I had to pick it again for a very limited budget build with no mech drives required, I would. Given you're spending a substantial amount and have included a mech drive it'd be a pity to not spend a little extra for something else you'll be happier with in the long run. Make sure the PSU you go for is as short as possible (140mm or 150mm deep/long). Fitting a 170mm modular PSU was a struggle and also meant adding a second mech drive on top of the HDD cage was impossible because the PSU connectors cut into that space.

Associate
OP
Not sure about the case, I'd go with Fractal Design or BeQuiet which will both most likely offer lower noise levels as well as better airflow (and look nicer imo).

EDIT: forgot to comment on the GPU. No experience with that specific card but I do with many others including Inno3d - that card will almost certainly be very noisy under load and the loudest part of the build. Consider holding out to find a better model.

Thanks for this, both the cases look better choices, although why 'be quiet' added black flashes to a white case I don't know... :) and on the GPU, thanks for the insight, probably worth me checking some reviews, although given the dearth of GPUs, might not have much of a choice!

Associate
OP
@EsaT Good advice, thanks. She has produced a couple of shorts on her old laptop, so probably doesn't need anything on a professional level and would probably have bought a mac of some sort if that were the case.

@Danny75 Thanks, that's a really helpful insight.

@mickyflinn Oh, well spotted, hadn't noticed the 'micro' - that does open up a few more possibilities

Associate
The 2 main components of your PC are from previous generations. I know GPUs are almost impossible to get but imho it is not worth paying £400 for a 2060, wait and hope the supply issues get better and try to get a 3060 for close to MSRP. I am trying to get a 3080 so I know the frustration in this area.

I would also say the 5600x is worth the extra money over the 3600x. Like others said do not overpay on the mobo and put that money into other areas.

Not used or seen that case so cannot help with that side but I also love my white kit.

Soldato
What about this micro atx case that will go with the motherboard dfour suggested.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kolink-citadel-mesh-rgb-micro-atx-case-white-ca-05y-kk.html

I have just done a build in that Kolink citadel mesh and can recommend it for a good little cheap m-atx case. Good airflow and pwm fans, rgb/fan hub as standard. It can fit 2 ssd on the motherboard tray + 2 standard hd/ssd in a cage under the psu shroud but you might have issues with long psus and the fixed hd cage. Good clearance in the back for cable managment.

The Brocken Eco will still fit in the ccitadel case.

Associate
Thanks for this, both the cases look better choices, although why 'be quiet' added black flashes to a white case I don't know... :) and on the GPU, thanks for the insight, probably worth me checking some reviews, although given the dearth of GPUs, might not have much of a choice!

Yeah I personally think the Fractal looks better which is why I'm now using it! Can personally vouch for that case, it's really good. As the post above noted you could also consider a micro-atx case instead.

I can't advise you look on competitor sites for the GPU but getting a used one might be far better for you. For example you could get a high-end (i.e. cool & silent) 1080 for less than that budget 2060.

Soldato
The 2 main components of your PC are from previous generations. I know GPUs are almost impossible to get but imho it is not worth paying £400 for a 2060, wait and hope the supply issues get better and try to get a 3060 for close to MSRP. I am trying to get a 3080 so I know the frustration in this area.

I would also say the 5600x is worth the extra money over the 3600x. Like others said do not overpay on the mobo and put that money into other areas.

Not used or seen that case so cannot help with that side but I also love my white kit.
A 5600X is only worth it if you are getting a high end GPU like 3080+ and even then @1440P you're only talking around 5% faster so not much extra performance for a 50% price increase.

Associate
OP
I have just done a build in that Kolink citadel mesh and can recommend it for a good little cheap m-atx case. Good airflow and pwm fans, rgb/fan hub as standard. It can fit 2 ssd on the motherboard tray + 2 standard hd/ssd in a cage under the psu shroud but you might have issues with long psus and the fixed hd cage. Good clearance in the back for cable managment.

The Brocken Eco will still fit in the ccitadel case.

Cheers, I was just looking at a review video for the Kolink, and was persuaded it is the way to go, and thanks for confirming the Brocken Eco fit!

Associate
OP

Thanks, I'm trying to persuade her to wait a while, I think a 3060 would be a better bet - the only ones available seem to have a £200 mark-up at present, if prices ever go back down/supply increases...

Associate
I just saw a Palit 3070ti available to buy for £650. Not everyone's favourite brand but that is much better value than 2060 for 400.

Be patient the situation is improving.

Associate
OP
I see (I missed..) GPUs are coming down, so with that in mind (either a 3060 or 3060ti) I made a couple of adjustments, but still a bit concerned with the monitor (its black, silver would be better, and a couple of years old) although looks quite good. Grateful for any thoughts.

Thanks.

Total: £964.83 (includes shipping: £0.00)

£120 (incl. VAT)
£110 (incl. VAT)
£68 (incl. VAT)
£53 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
Back
Top Bottom