Valve announces the SteamDeck

Man of Honour
I mean, the other thing is... how do games designed for PC translate to the smaller screen....

For example if you think about strategy games, Im sure the text is going to be quite small the 7" screen? What are your thoughts?

You won't be playing strategy games on this. They won't work at all with a pad.

Soldato
Reserved the 256gb version though I will most likely cancel it when it's available. Q2 2022 we should be in middle of renovation and gf will kill me if I spent £460 on anything else than building materials :D

I thought it was going to be based on Windows but it turns out it is Linux based. Looks very bulky and heavy to me aswell.
Will run both fine though.

Anyone else agree that if stadia had a mode specific for this device it'd be a game changer. You won't need super sharp lovely quality, just 720p for this small screen. Perfect for a stadia service.

Soldato
More I think about this, the less excited I get. I'll keep my reservation for now, but by next year GPD should be on their WIN 4, or MAX 3, and I think in reality my money will be going there.

Soldato
I have 10Gb internet and 7ms latency to the data center and it still feels like playing underwater. Some people just aren't sensitive to it.

I'd say it's still something to do with your connection. I've played PC all my life, over 3000 hours in CSGO at LE-LEM level; so I'd say I'm pretty tuned to latency

Soldato
Hopefully this doesn't flop like previous valve hardware
Valve Index is fantastic and successful, steam controller is not being manufactured, but Valve is still supporting it with software updates today, I would not be particularly worried. Plus, even if this "flops", as in sell few units, it will still be useful, since it is a PC. It's not like Vita where games and software suddenly stop being made for it.

Associate
I thought it was going to be based on Windows but it turns out it is Linux based. Looks very bulky and heavy to me aswell.

Didn't you know that Linux is actually better than Windows in this day and age ;)
True though, it does look a little bulky, but then it probably better for comfort as the hands will just mould around it like a game controller. This is unlike the switch of course which is too thin and skinny. Not sure if the weight will be an issue. We shall see once we get our hands on it. Even if it does prove uncomfortable for lengthy gaming sessions, i'll still keep mine as use it as a portable linux box

Soldato
So my expected order availability for the 256GB is showing as Q1 2022. Hopefully that's a bit conservative but happy enough with that.

I wonder if they will bring out a non portable 1080p version...I would get a Xbox series s competitor.

I mean surely that's the purpose of the dock as I imagine it will output at higher resolutions when hooked up to a monitor. No reason why it wouldn't therefore I wouldn't expect there to be a non-portable version.

Back
Top Bottom