Poll: British Grand Prix 2021, Silverstone - Race 10/23

Rate the 2021 British Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Seriously :rolleyes:. I am not a fan of Lewis but the amount of twisting to make Max look like he had it all is silly. They were neck and neck for the corner. Max braked later than Lewis and then turned into him. Racing incident simple as.

Juk2HRn.png

Exactly, Verstappen had already given Hamilton the inside line. Then changed his mind (check his steering wheel). This was after driving him right up against the wall.

This is why you should pick your line in a corner and stick to it.

With Leclerc, Hamilton had a wider entry as Leclerc didn't squeeze him against wall, and so Hamilton was closer to the apex.

Associate
Okay, so Hamilton wasn't in fact alongside Verstappen by the apex of the corner. And could have gotten out of it to try again the next lap given how much quicker he appeared to be.

Remind me again what the argument against his penalty is? :confused: Leaving aside Horner whinging about how he should have been penalised further, that's just Horner doing Horner things.

Both cars are coming into the corner fast, to avoid the crash the inside car needs to turn in more or the outside car needs to turn in less - you would think that it would be easier for the outside car to avoid the incident and wise to do so as being on the outside in any colision is probably going to be bad for you and less so for the inside car - or you can choose to be morally right... but in the gravel.

Max as championship leader should have done the maths and realised that he had the most to lose from this - settling for second would have been less painful than losing 25 points.

It's just a racing incident - if had been between Mazipan and Tsunoda it would barely be mentioned.

Soldato
If Merc and Lewis do manage to win the championships then it will come up again no doubt.

I still think over all Max will take it but I hope I'm wrong.
Hopefully this will make max think twice in future races, look how many times he has done the same thing this season(sky F1 we’re just showing it) Lewis probably just got a little sick of him being so aggressive and dangerous and thought to himself “this time I’m taking this corner”

Caporegime
Exactly, Verstappen had already given Hamilton the inside line. Then changed his mind (check his steering wheel). This was after driving him right up against the wall.

This is why you should pick your line in a corner and stick to it.

I am no professional racing driver but have tracked Silverstone a few times. Lewis is taking the racing line for the apex hence why he braked earlier. Verstappen braked too late and then had to turn in even more to make the turn. Where they were at the apex of the turn is irrelevant as Verstappen was too wide for a natural line. It would be interesting to see Verstappen's onboard at some point.

Found Verstappen onboard. You can see he turns in then straightens out then realises he isn't going to make the turn and turns in again where there is contact.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Some onboard shots from Verstappen's car:

untitled.png

untitled.png

Verstappen can clearly see Hamilton's front wing alongside his front tyre and yet he's already turning in towards the apex of the corner and at no point from that point on does he even try to give Hamilton room, Hamilton realises that and pulls out but had Hamilton not backed out they would probably have both been in the barrier and potentially worse injuries.

I'm not sure what else Hamilton is expected to do, he had the slip stream, avoided being squeezed into the barrier and then tried to back out when he realised Verstappen was using the Felipe Massa "I'm not leaving the racing line regardless of if I cause a collision" technique.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f08Y0AkcaN0

Last edited:
Associate
Norris podium would have made it a 10/10

lewis post race interview was interesting, suggesting all the drivers have a view on Max being overly aggressive

Soldato
It's the comparison to all the times Lewis conceded to avoid incident... Including yesterday's sprint race that sealed it for me !

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/1416804342926020618

Yep when I watched this live, decided it for me. Especially when you see Max turn into a Hamilton who has a front wide by Max's front tyres.

Max squeezed Hamilton the entire way and then magically expected Hamilton to make the apex.

It's something Max does all the time.

Man of Honour
Yep when I watched this live, decided it for me. Especially when you see Max turn into a Hamilton who has a front wide by Max's front tyres.

Max squeezed Hamilton the entire way and then magically expected Hamilton to make the apex.

It's something Max does all the time.

Indeed, he squeezes Hamilton against the wall which was ridiculous in itself. About time Max learned that there are consequences to his actions.

Soldato
It's the comparison to all the times Lewis conceded to avoid incident... Including yesterday's sprint race that sealed it for me !

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/1416804342926020618

Sorted for me.

Racing incident.

You can only bully a world champion so many times before they are going to leave a wheel in there.

I'd not blame Lewis for getting the elbows out in the next few races while he is still behind in the points.

The whole thing smacks of Max not having the experience in these situations and still being too aggressive just like Lewis in his early days, it may win you a championship or two but to be a real great you need to play the numbers game I'm afraid.

Back
Top Bottom