Huel: The Future of Food ..

Soldato
The chilli one is pretty good, going to take it for an upcoming camping trip, which it's ideal for. I don't think I'll be buying any more just for consumption at home though.

Glad they've got some decent black edition flavours now though, coffee caramel and salted caramel are miles better than the grim vanilla and chocolate ones.

Soldato
The chilli one is pretty good, going to take it for an upcoming camping trip, which it's ideal for. I don't think I'll be buying any more just for consumption at home though.

Glad they've got some decent black edition flavours now though, coffee caramel and salted caramel are miles better than the grim vanilla and chocolate ones.

That’s good to know. I have 4 bags of black arriving today, I didn’t fancy chocolate or banana.

Soldato
Is there a way to improve the flavour, the salted caramel is kind of there, it's not terrible, best way to describe it is it tastes/textures like a soaked biscuit without any sweetness, I'm wondering if adding some Honey would make it nicer ? or just plain sugar ? I might try it with milk tomorrow to see how that works too

Could see the Banana working in a nesquik milkshake too

Soldato
I found the banana one quite rank....but tbf it seems like recently they've managed to make the black one less....slimy? It used to be a pretty nasty texture, but lately it's much more like the original.

May be somewhat defeating the point of black edition to add sugar :p But I guess if you're just after the extra protein and not carb-cutting....

Soldato
I'm on the white 3.0 stuff, it gave me some terrible gas and bloating last night at bedtime for an hour, so going to ease myself into it with 1 day on 1 day off for a couple of weeks see how that goes as long as I'm reducing solid evening meals then I'm happy

Soldato
It's so much better with milk and some honey! Has anyone tried 500ml milk but only 1 scoop so it works out to around the same calories as 2 scoops + 500ml water ? 500ml milk + 2 scoops is just over 600 cals so seems a lot

Soldato
I'm on the white 3.0 stuff, it gave me some terrible gas and bloating last night at bedtime for an hour, so going to ease myself into it with 1 day on 1 day off for a couple of weeks see how that goes as long as I'm reducing solid evening meals then I'm happy

Give it a couple hours in the fridge after mixing it before you drink it, to let the air bubbles settle out of it. Texture is nicer too.

If you mix + drink straight away you're gulping down a lot of air so inevitably will get gas. Air + protein rich nutrients = peeling paint off the walls.

Soldato
It's so much better with milk and some honey! Has anyone tried 500ml milk but only 1 scoop so it works out to around the same calories as 2 scoops + 500ml water ? 500ml milk + 2 scoops is just over 600 cals so seems a lot
I've tried it with all sorts, prefer it with water, but ice cold. 300ml per 50g.

Caporegime

I guess you could do that, especially if regular huel is causing some upset in the old bowels/stomach, but keep in mind that you're losing out on some other nutrients then - maybe not so much an issue if you're just having it to replace one meal but if you're replacing two meals per day then I guess perhaps you'd want to have loads of veg etc.. in your normal meal.

Soldato
If you mix + drink straight away you're gulping down a lot of air so inevitably will get gas. Air + protein rich nutrients = peeling paint off the walls.

It's in a blender though so shouldn't be air no ? It was fine with the milk mixed in the blender so I would have assumed if Air is getting into water it would get into milk too ? I will give the mix and fridge a try though to see if it makes much difference as it would be great if I could manage it with water

I guess you could do that, especially if regular huel is causing some upset in the old bowels/stomach, but keep in mind that you're losing out on some other nutrients then - maybe not so much an issue if you're just having it to replace one meal but if you're replacing two meals per day then I guess perhaps you'd want to have loads of veg etc.. in your normal meal.

It's intended to replace evening meal, not like I can eat much veg anyway with the Chrohn's disease, usually some lettuce (various makes) and onion with some skinned cucumber, can't really eat anything else because I either A. hate it or B. it kills my stomach (mushrooms, peas and sweetcorn, I really miss these :() So my daily intake would be Frosties and coffee for breakfast, Cheese Sandwich (or sometimes Prawn mayo) for lunch with some Apple or Orange Juice, Huel for evening meal (some days I'll cook something though) with lots of water through the day. Obviously I want to be sensible though so I want to make sure I'm not messing myself up by missing out on something essential so either 2 scoops or 1 is okay which is best really

Caporegime
Obviously I want to be sensible though so I want to make sure I'm not messing myself up by missing out on something essential so either 2 scoops or 1 is okay which is best really

I guess other meal replacements are available too if you find yourself wanting to dilute the huel to one scoop + milk, other options have more of a milkshake flavour to them too - like complan, ensure and fortisip (the latter of which you might have had if you've been in hospital with IBD).

Soldato
It's in a blender though so shouldn't be air no ? It was fine with the milk mixed in the blender so I would have assumed if Air is getting into water it would get into milk too ? I will give the mix and fridge a try though to see if it makes much difference as it would be great if I could manage it with water

It's intended to replace evening meal, not like I can eat much veg anyway with the Chrohn's disease, usually some lettuce (various makes) and onion with some skinned cucumber, can't really eat anything else because I either A. hate it or B. it kills my stomach (mushrooms, peas and sweetcorn, I really miss these :() So my daily intake would be Frosties and coffee for breakfast, Cheese Sandwich (or sometimes Prawn mayo) for lunch with some Apple or Orange Juice, Huel for evening meal (some days I'll cook something though) with lots of water through the day. Obviously I want to be sensible though so I want to make sure I'm not messing myself up by missing out on something essential so either 2 scoops or 1 is okay which is best really
Try it with water made a few hours before you want it and put it in the fridge, it will thicken so you might need extra water. I find it much better after chilling for a few hours.

I make my breakfast ones the night before so they get about 9 hours in the fridge.

Soldato
Tried it with water a few hours before drinking and I dunno, it's just weird, I did forget the honey though, so I'll try it one final time with the premade method but add honey see if that works, definitely preferring it with milk though

Soldato
I never intended to try Huel but looks like I am going to be forced by circumstance (skip to next paragraph if you don't care for the sob story!) - just got braces as an adult (had them as a teen but my teeth went pretty crooked again and are generally just a mess so I'm finally doing something about it!)... But it has turned out that the brackets on my lower teeth were in the way of my upper teeth which risks them getting bitten off or damaging the tooth. So they have put in "bite blocks" - basically big temporary fillings either side on my top molars which prevent my teeth closing together... It's absolutely terrible, can't chew anything or eat properly at all unless it's complete mush. Have been blending up whatever we normally have for dinner the last few nights but it's a bit of a faff and not everything blends nicely, so not really sustainable. But remembered seeing this thread and got to thinking...

I guess I will just go with the minimum order of 2 bags of Huel v3.0 and see how it goes? Thinking Vanilla and then something else (Chocolate maybe...)

Can someone confirm it's definitely pretty smooth and not particularly lumpy? I am basically limited to slopping it in and swallowing (lolol)

Back
Top Bottom