Official Home Gym Building Thread

Associate
This is the one I have been waiting to come into stock for what feels like forever :D

yeah it just states Q3! my thinking is if its not in by end of the summer i might plump for the extreme fitness one, quadruple the price but needs must, lets hope it comes in sooner rather than later, but still waiting for the stabilisation bar for the M3, have got the fat grip pull up bar coming today to go in its place, as apparently its pretty heavy and does the job :)

Soldato
One thing to be aware with the above is that you cannot do cable flies with it.

Are you talking about the Mirafit one or the one you have, or both? I was expecting dual-arm movements like flyes would be just about do-able but nowhere near as good/effective as with a proper dual cable functional trainer that has independent stacks and properly spaced apart handles. Either way though I'm happy to stick with dumbell flyes, main thing I want the cable station for is lat pulldowns, face pulls, low rows, pushdowns, various 1-armed extensions, may actually also get an ankle clip and use it for a few leg movements as well

Associate
Are you talking about the Mirafit one or the one you have, or both? I was expecting dual-arm movements like flyes would be just about do-able but nowhere near as good/effective as with a proper dual cable functional trainer that has independent stacks and properly spaced apart handles. Either way though I'm happy to stick with dumbell flyes, main thing I want the cable station for is lat pulldowns, face pulls, low rows, pushdowns, various 1-armed extensions, may actually also get an ankle clip and use it for a few leg movements as well
I am talking about the mirafit one. It states "Please note: To prevent damage to the sheath please do not stand sideways to the cable system while pulling it."

It's not the end of the world, but worth knowing if its an exercise you highly value.

Soldato
I saw that statement but it didn't make me think flyes wouldn't be possible, just that the cable should be being pulled predominantly forwards (i.e. away from the wall) - I wouldn't expect a little bit of lateral movement being incorporated via something like flyes to cause a problem, but I guess I will have a look if I ever end up getting it :D

Associate
I saw that statement but it didn't make me think flyes wouldn't be possible, just that the cable should be being pulled predominantly forwards (i.e. away from the wall) - I wouldn't expect a little bit of lateral movement being incorporated via something like flyes to cause a problem, but I guess I will have a look if I ever end up getting it :D
I sent them an email querying this, they stated it is not suitable for cable crossovers, and you would need two for this.

Associate
Soldato
If you do wish to spend more, the ATX machine is very good for the money: It has a low row section with foot bracing, a dedicated lat pulldown, plus an additional 2 pullies.
https://www.thegymrevolution.co.uk/index.php/gym-equipment/multigyms/atx-cable-corner-station.html

Looks great but I am working with almost zero space (just half a single garage so around 2.5m x 2.5m (if that) and already have an M210 half rack in it :o

That's why I was drawn to the Bulldog "Zero" range which are absolutely tiny and barely stick out from the wall 15cm, but they are also pretty expensive, and unfortunately the weight stack is only 50kg

Soldato
What is your budget?

Ideally I'd like to stay under £300 and I only really want lat pulldown, cable curl, face pull functions.

We could stretch if the additional functionality/build quality is persuasive enough. I reckon £600 absolute max.

If it was part of a power rack system I could sell our existing squat rack to offset the costs. In that case £1k max.

So long story short - £600 max standalone / £1k max as part of a power rack.

Associate
Ideally I'd like to stay under £300 and I only really want lat pulldown, cable curl, face pull functions.

We could stretch if the additional functionality/build quality is persuasive enough. I reckon £600 absolute max.

If it was part of a power rack system I could sell our existing squat rack to offset the costs. In that case £1k max.

So long story short - £600 max standalone / £1k max as part of a power rack.
If it was me I would buy this: https://www.thegymrevolution.co.uk/index.php/atx-plate-load-lat-pulldown-low-pulley-row-lpl-720.html
Best lat pulldown on the market, plate loaded, but 180kg capacity, ATX stuff is top notch. Also has a low row.

What rack do you currently have?

Soldato
If it was me I would buy this: https://www.thegymrevolution.co.uk/index.php/atx-plate-load-lat-pulldown-low-pulley-row-lpl-720.html
Best lat pulldown on the market, plate loaded, but 180kg capacity, ATX stuff is top notch. Also has a low row.

What rack do you currently have?

Thanks for that, I like the look of that one. Might just pull the trigger today (once I get approval of course :p)

My rack is this one - https://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/body-solid-commercial-multi-press-squat-rack-1.html

Soldato
Calf raise... machine? I just stand on a plate :D

Next time the wife and I move having a bigger space than we have now is super high on the list, now that we've realised how much we like having a gym at home. I think we've made good use of the space we have now but really it's very cramped

Back
Top Bottom