The England Cricket Thread

Soldato
Be great if they do! Not a huge target but bowlers been getting some movement and with a chase that's possible then they may play some stupid shots. What time will they play til?

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Be great if they do! Not a huge target but bowlers been getting some movement and with a chase that's possible then they may play some stupid shots. What time will they play til?
7pm, light permitting. Plenty of time and overs left.

Really no reason why NZ shouldn’t win this. They seem level-headed enough to avoid a collapse.

Soldato
Anyone watching the Hundred? Watched every game so far, it’s terrific fun. Every game seems to have a nail biting finish

I've been watching a lot of it too. It's a bit try-hard and not really any different from T20 imo....but good entertaining games and good atmosphere with decent crowds.

Doing the double headers with the women's game is great too, I quite often watch both. Will probably try and get to a game at Trent Bridge.

Soldato
Been watching a bit of the hundred between some Olympics and it's great fun. Certainly adds a new element to cricket from my pov. Not sure on the graphics though....seems a bit low rent.:cry:

Graphics are terrible tbh, I still find it kinda confusing at first to figure out what is what...they seem to have made it less intuitive than reading a test scorecard!

Soldato
I've been watching a few of The Hundred games and found them surprisingly enjoyable.

It's been a while since I watched any T20 stuff so I can't really comment on how it compares, but it feels faster paced and a more exciting watch than I remember T20 being. I like the 5 ball over format and how it incentives both sides to play at a consistently fast pace.

I'm tempted to go to Old Trafford to watch one the week after next as the atmosphere at the games seems great too.

Man of Honour
I've given the Hundred a chance and quite enjoyed it. On social media it got absolutely crucified in the build up, people tripping over themselves to state how it isn't Cricket, nobody wants it and they won't be watching.
You do get some weird scenarios like Hampshire were playing a one-day game on the same day as Southern Brave, I can see why some hardcore county fans might be a bit upset at it disrupting their team but at the end of the day Cricket has innovated over the years in terms of format and by and large this has been successful.

I do think it is marginally more accessible than traditional cricket, it sounds silly to veterans but actually having 100 balls counting up/down is a lot easier to comprehend for a newcomer than say 12.3 overs or whatever where the decimal point is misleading anyway.
My son's never been to a cricket match but have managed to convince him to go with my wife in a couple of weeks. His attention span is terrible at times so I'm hoping the fast pace, music and stuff will keep him engaged.

Agree KP doesn't work as a main commentator. At times it's almost like he's trying to provoke a reaction or conversation from his co-commentator with some sort of slightly oddball question where you can't quite work out if he's being serious or trolling.
In general however I don't mind some of the dumbed-down commentary that's gone on, the other day Michael Vaughan was using clockface numbers to describe fielding positions, again I'm sure there's some people cringing away but if you've barely watched any cricket and people are going on about "extra cover" and "gully" you'd probably have no clue what they were talking about. Perhaps for too long cricket has been a slightly aloof, elitist sport and freshening up the interest isn't a bad thing in my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom