Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
I've been bouldering/climbing for years....the missus has never been that interested...but she's got really into hiking since we moved back to the UK last year. Personally I find hiking just a bit....easy and dull (no offence to any hikers, I just like a challenge). While doing a bit of the Manifold trail at the weekend, I managed to persuade her that going over hills instead of round them was more fun, and booked to do a scrambling course in Ogwen Valley next week.

I've never done any trad, just sport, so some of it's new to me too, looking forward to it. Haven't camped for years and decided my 30+ year old sleeping bag has had it's time, so spent a small fortune on new camping gear at the weekend. Did get a Berghaus tent but when putting it up in the garden found it had a fault...pretty crap design tbh, so took that back, and have an MSR Elixir 2 on the way instead. I've got most of the climbing gear, just need a handful of nuts and hexes.

My parents live on Skye and I've always wanted to do the Cuillin ridge, so will be building up to that. Hopefully tackle it later in the year.

Probably limber up with some easy scrambles in the peaks at the weekend, looks like it's going to be bloody hot though.

Soldato
I walked 24 miles of the Thames Path this weekend and ended up with some painful blisters at the end. I was wearing some merino wool socks and Solomon hiking boots that are now 4 years old.

I wonder what I can do differently?
  • My feet were quite hot during the walk, perhaps thinner socks would help? Any recommendations? Thinking socks with padded areas but well vented elsewhere?
  • Perhaps a lighter boot, for flat surfaces? Not sure on the exact model of Solomon boot I have but they're high ankle support and relatively heavy.
  • Regardless of getting a lighter boot/shoe, I need new well supported boots for hiking as I noticed a tear in the surface material on the Solomons. Any brands that are good for wider feet? Think I'm 2E/EE

The first advice would be to always carry something that can help you deal with blisters as soon as you start to feel a hot spot developing. Compede blister patches, Leuko tape and also a Compede anti-blister stick are always in my kit, although tbh I haven't needed to use any of them for a long time. You can use lambswool if you come across any while out and about and don't have anything, it can help reduce friction, wrapped around toes for example.

For summer I mainly walk in a thin pair of Darn Tough merino socks with lightweight walking shoes. There's those 1000 Mile dual layer anti-blister socks which can be good and there's also the Injinji toe socks which a lot of people recommend but I haven't tried them myself.

I don't know what the Thames Path looks like but if it's mainly hard ground perhaps just normal walking shoes or even trainers would have been better, walking on hard ground in rigid boots for a long period of time can hit the feet and joints hard. There's a definite shift towards people wearing walking shoes or trail runners rather than boots these days.

The Gehwol cream that robj20 mentioned is supposed to be very good, but although I've got a tube of it I've never actually used it.

Associate
I wear the 1000 mile socks with walking boots, been up Toubkal, Snowden and Everest Base Camp plus other walks etc and never had a blister.
They can be a bit warm sometimes but I'd take that over a blister any day, it may just be the boots though.

Bought some trail shoes over the weekend so will see how they are with those.

taB

taB

Associate
Cheers. I’ve just found one called ViewRanger too. Hopefully between them all I can get a few decent routes.

Then to work out how to fit them all in along with a few decent length paddle board trips without completely abandoning my wife :D

I've had Viewranger 1:50k UK maps for over a decade now. The best bit about it is the map is on the phone memory so I don't need a mobile signal for it to work. Has helped me numerous times, e.g. when without a signal for the whole day on the Southern Upland Way with driving rain!

Seems to be merging with something called outdoor active though.

Soldato
kZjCrTF.jpg

DZE0OuM.jpg

9GOWzCm.jpg

Took an easy scramble line up Kinder Scout on Saturday. Headed out at 0700 so the temperatures were nice and basically had the whole place to ourselves. Had a wander on top and took some pictures on Fairbrook Naize. Stopped for a dunk in the pools on Fair Brook on the way back down....which was getting pretty busy by the time we got back there. Lovely spot though, just very little parking at the Snake Inn start...keeps the numbers down though.

Ogwen Valley on Thursday, looks like temps are dropping by then, should be nice. It's going to be unbearable in my home office this week so may just take some more leave and get into the peaks again to escape the heat.

Soldato
Seems to be merging with something called outdoor active though.

And annoyingly you can't use your pre-bought tiles with Outdoor Active. The best they can do is give you a free years subscription, then after that you have to pay. I'll hold out using Viewranger for as long as I can!

Associate
kZjCrTF.jpg

DZE0OuM.jpg

9GOWzCm.jpg

Took an easy scramble line up Kinder Scout on Saturday. Headed out at 0700 so the temperatures were nice and basically had the whole place to ourselves. Had a wander on top and took some pictures on Fairbrook Naize. Stopped for a dunk in the pools on Fair Brook on the way back down....which was getting pretty busy by the time we got back there. Lovely spot though, just very little parking at the Snake Inn start...keeps the numbers down though.

Ogwen Valley on Thursday, looks like temps are dropping by then, should be nice. It's going to be unbearable in my home office this week so may just take some more leave and get into the peaks again to escape the heat.

Went up Kinder myself on saturday evening, gorgeous night for it.

script>

17XIipt.jpg
npi54Oe.jpg
L8NTluj.jpg
17XIipt

npi54Oe

L8NTluj

Last edited:
Soldato
Went up Kinder myself on saturday evening, gorgeous night for it.

script>

17XIipt.jpg
npi54Oe.jpg
L8NTluj.jpg
17XIipt

npi54Oe

L8NTluj

Nice! Did you wild camp on top?

I've just booked the rest of the week off. Going to camp in Edale tomorrow night, do some sunset/sunrise walks up Kinder Scout and Mam Tor.

Thursday off to Ogwen Valley, hopefully before the weather breaks.

Associate
Nice! Did you wild camp on top?

I've just booked the rest of the week off. Going to camp in Edale tomorrow night, do some sunset/sunrise walks up Kinder Scout and Mam Tor.

Thursday off to Ogwen Valley, hopefully before the weather breaks.

Yeah camped at the top for the night, it was lovely and warm all night.

its a new hobby of mine which I've wanted to do for a long time, it wasn't until some mates mentioned it about 6 months ago we decided get into it. it started out with the cheap items to get going, that soon changes :D

Soldato
Actually finally bought my first tent, OEX Rakoon II is on the 'bay for just under £60 at the moment.

Seems to fit the bill for everything I want, just a little on the heavier side at 2.76kg.

taB

taB

Associate
And annoyingly you can't use your pre-bought tiles with Outdoor Active. The best they can do is give you a free years subscription, then after that you have to pay. I'll hold out using Viewranger for as long as I can!

I'll be doing the same then! Thanks for the info.

Soldato
cSNgUOV.jpg

MB2tnFF.jpg

Back from Ogwen Valley. The scramble up Tryfan Fach Arete in the evening sun was glorious, even had it to ourselves. Next day spent a full day on Tryfan with an instructor, first time using ropes for my partner.

Bit bloody warm though, went up the East face in the morning, did part of the North ridge, down the West face in the afternoon, so sun all day. Knackering, but tremendous rock. Looking forward to getting the last few bits of gear and going back....so many great scrambling lines.

Big recommendation for the MSR Elixir 2 tent....for only a little more than a Berghaus, it's far better made. Goes up easier.

Soldato
What would people recommend for a decent sleeping mat and bag then that won't break the bank.

Already have Vaude Sioux 800, but that will be used for colder months as I'm sure I'll melt in it even in the British summer.

Associate
What would people recommend for a decent sleeping mat and bag then that won't break the bank.

Already have Vaude Sioux 800, but that will be used for colder months as I'm sure I'll melt in it even in the British summer.

It's difficult to say as it's very much personal preference and if you sleep hot or cold, side sleeper etc.
What budget, max weight and size (bulk) for each?
I like my wildcamping and hiking so go for lighter and less bulky kit if I can. My down quilt is about half the weight of your current sleeping bag but warmer. However it was 2-3 times the price.

Soldato
cSNgUOV.jpg

MB2tnFF.jpg

Back from Ogwen Valley. The scramble up Tryfan Fach Arete in the evening sun was glorious, even had it to ourselves. Next day spent a full day on Tryfan with an instructor, first time using ropes for my partner.

Bit bloody warm though, went up the East face in the morning, did part of the North ridge, down the West face in the afternoon, so sun all day. Knackering, but tremendous rock. Looking forward to getting the last few bits of gear and going back....so many great scrambling lines.

Big recommendation for the MSR Elixir 2 tent....for only a little more than a Berghaus, it's far better made. Goes up easier.

Wow, doesnt look like much to grab hold of

Soldato
It's difficult to say as it's very much personal preference and if you sleep hot or cold, side sleeper etc.
What budget, max weight and size (bulk) for each?
I like my wildcamping and hiking so go for lighter and less bulky kit if I can. My down quilt is about half the weight of your current sleeping bag but warmer. However it was 2-3 times the price.

First time wild camper so to be fair I'll pay what I need to without going too cheap so midrange I guess. Backpack I'll use is 65L so plenty of space for most things I imagine. I'm on a tall ish and broad side if that makes a difference and do generally sleep on my side.

Soldato
Wow, doesnt look like much to grab hold of

It looks a bit more impressive than it is...there are plenty of cracks to jam the edge of your boot into, and good handholds for the most part. Any reasonably confident climber should breeze up it. It is quite exposed though and you'd end up pretty beat up if you somehow managed to slip!

Caporegime

Do you have a budget?

I got the decathlon sleeping mat, and it's proper comfy and doesn't squeak (very important for me). It's heavy, but to get any lighter you'd need to spend double. Sleeping bag pricing is too varied to suggest anything without a budget. But I have the alpkit 200 and the Rab Ascent 500. I'd say you want to go down, but it's obviously expensive. The 200 is great, but it's purely summer only and I've yet to use the Rab in anything properly cold yet but it's very comfy.

Back
Top Bottom