• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

Soldato
OP
This thread reminds me of all the other NV vs. AMD OCUK 'post war' threads.

- Frame-pacing
- Adaptive Sync
- Mantle
- FXAA vs. MLAA

Every single time whilst Nvidia has the initial upper-hand, AMD gets it right eventually, they can't compete with the marketing muscle nvidia have but they do act in the right way for the whole of the community, given time.

NV also have plenty of shills available to keep posting on forums like these, I would give it 12 months and then call the victor. It won't be Nvidia simply on the basis that pretty much every new console game running will implement FSR.

AMD has best OpenGL and Vulkun support now and Tesselation right?

Consoles already had checkerboard upscaling for years yet very few even used it

Caporegime

Wonder if people will claim that HU are now nvidia shills.... :cry:

Very good comparison though and good to see he addressed the motion/ghosting issues of TAA, which FSR can't get rid of where as dlss can, granted, it introduces its own motion issues but nowhere as severe/noticeable as TAAs/natives flaws.

Associate

Wouldn't surprise me despite the ample praise he gave FSR.

For a first release of a non-temporal upscaler, FSR is doing a really great job. It'll be interesting to see if FSR can be improved with it's conventional approach, where my guess is that DLSS is highly likely to improve through better training of the ML aspects.

I'd guess that AMD will struggle to improve FSR at the same rate that DLSS is improving, but they will have a DirectML solution in the works to be a long-term competitor. Probably with requirements for newer & more flexible comptute hardware...

Soldato

Very good comparison though and good to see he addressed the motion/ghosting issues of TAA, which FSR can't get rid of where as dlss can, granted, it introduces its own motion issues but nowhere as severe/noticeable as TAAs/natives flaws.

Yep, good video from HUB as usual and any reasonable and objective person would find it pefcectly balanced and unbiased. I agree with him on pretty much every point and as someone with a 3080 I would use DLSS over FSR where available. Having said that FSR is a very good first effort and at 4K it looks almost as good as DLSS to the point where pixel peeping is required. Start going to lower resolutions and far more often than not, DLSS will be superior.

There is nothing contraversial about that video at all in my opinion. I particularly liked where he called out the fact that comparing FSR quality with DLSS quality because they have the same renderscale is unfair.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Chaps, please may I ask that you discuss with some level of respect.

If you can't agree to disagree then that's fine but I'd recommend placing a user on ignore, rather than insult them.

Also, the FSR vs DLSS argument has been done to death in the last few pages :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
why are people still comparing still images going my man bits are bigger than yours is beyond me

its entertaining but all seems pointless

Associate
To try and get this thread back on track I though I would post a link to this.

FSR OpenVR

This basically uses the FSR upscaling techniques to improve performance in OpenVR games. I have tried it in a few VR games and it does exactly what is sets out to do and in many cases it is close to, or indistinguishable from native (other than the UI). Though there are some things to be considered first.
  • Unlike FSR it does affect menus in the game. FSR by design should be added earlier in the pipeline before any UI items are added. This mod affects the whole screen so should not be considered how FSR would look if integrated into each game specifically.
  • Some games will not work (Half Life ALyx being one)
https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr

I tried in Fallout4 VR, Skyrim VR, DCS and IL-2 and it works very well in these games giving my RTX 3080 a 25% - 30% boost with FSR Ultra Quality settings.

25-30% is a massive boost to be fair lots of people upgrade for less

Permabanned
finally, he had the guts to expose dlss's failure when moving the camera

DF constantly pushes the "dlss is crazy" narrative with their still shot comparisons. they had the boldness to claim that 1800p dlss performance (900p input) looks better than consoles' native 1800p in doom eternal. ONLY in still shots. native 1800p will crush, destroy and decimate the DLSS once you move the camera. DLSS can only make the image appear better in still shots or slow cutscenes

this is not a diss to DLSS either, i can defend dlss or scorn dlss when it needs be. this is one aspect of its that is overrated, its IQ cannot be judged by still shots. you still need a MINIMUM of 1440p input for a 4K screen to get any "resemblance" of sharpness when moving the camera or when actually playing the game instead of stopping to see

1080p, 900p or 720p inputs do not have enough pixel information input to make the image appear sharp on movement. dlss can make the image look like native even if you render at 240p input if you just sit and stop, but once you move, the clarity, sharpness goes away. and no, this is not attributed to TAA either. 1800p TAA will resolve MORE detail in movement compared to 1080p input dlss (dlss performance at 4k or dlss quality at 1440p).

i'm glad hbunboxd finally made this point. thanks to digital foundry, there are plethora of "console" gamers that thinks even the dlss'ed 1080p to 4k looks better than native 1800p on consoles thanks to Digital Foundry's misinformations and misdirections. DF should be judged and exposed by other reviewers, because DLSS's sharpness and clarity breaks away in motion.

when i exposed the motion argument when DF's doom etenral dlss video was discussed, nvidia folk scorned me. it seems like both AMD and Nvidia warriors on this forum seem to misunderstand me constantly. they think i'm a dlss hater when i point a negative point of DLSS, and then the other folks think me as an Nvidia warrior when i praise DLSS for its positive points (reconstructing thin details and overall image stability compared to TAA)

Caporegime
Think people should "fully" watch the video before commenting on FSR being better for motion or making incorrect statements again.... That tweet doesn't cover everything and notice the words "dlss performance" is mentioned only i.e. this doesn't apply to the better dlss setting such as quality and balanced.....

TLDW, for 4k and dlss quality/balanced compared to fsr ultra quality/quality:

- avengers; dlss motion looks better or rather less obvious motion issues because it can bypass/disable TAA thus get rid of the nasty ghosting/blur, in return, fine lines become doubled/shimmery in appearance whereas FSR still needs TAA thus nasty ghosting/blur is still there and possibly enhanced a bit more along with more shimmering because of how FSR works, therefore overall dlss offers better motion clarity in this game or as Tim put it.... "dlss is superior"

Stated here - https://youtu.be/zDJxBykV1C0?t=752

- necrumada; due to the fast nature of the game, Tim couldn't see a difference in motion between FSR UQ and dlss quality

Stated here - https://youtu.be/zDJxBykV1C0?t=1060

Last edited:
Soldato
The need for DLSS/FSR just shows you how weak modern GPUs(even from Nvidia) are for RT. If they need this now,in a year or two I can't see them getting any better with more taxing games. It makes me wonder whether its better to wait for the next generation GPUs in 2022 now! Apparently there is going to be an RTX3000 Super series at the start of next year with more VRAM.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
1080p, 900p or 720p inputs do not have enough pixel information input to make the image appear sharp on movement. dlss can make the image look like native even if you render at 240p input if you just sit and stop, but once you move, the clarity, sharpness goes away. and no, this is not attributed to TAA either. 1800p TAA will resolve MORE detail in movement compared to 1080p input dlss (dlss performance at 4k or dlss quality at 1440p).

At the expense of continuing about DLSS in an FSR thread... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gQ202CFKzA it vastly improves with resolution.

Soldato
Still images has always been the wrong way to showcase anything really. I have said this a lot in the past with game benchmarks I would rather see a recorded demo run showing the performance of a game than a slide or an image.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom