Wheel Aligment Question

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Why Wavetrac over Quaife? The Birds Quaife option is "only" ~£1700 if you don't do the bearings upgrade.

"They do have some differences, Quaife differentials tend to cost less than the equivalent Wavetrac, however this isn’t indicative of quality. Both are manufactured to an exceptional standard using high grade steel and rigorous quality control. Quaife do not quote a torque bias ratio for all of their differentials, the ratio varies on application as some require a more aggressive bias. Wavetrac also do not quote a torque bias ratio. They differ by having a function that increases load across the differential when needed. When a wheel starts spinning this ‘wave’ device engages, slows the wheel, and then disengages when it reaches a speed close to the other wheel so normal torque biasing can occur. This gives Wavetrac the ability to provide drive when one wheel has lifted, or on higher powered vehicles where wheel spin still occurs in spite of the torque biasing."

Source: https://www.rrtransmissions.com/lsdstore/lsd-comparison

Associate
I got the under body brace and think it made a difference, although it was the same time as the Quaife.

Quaife diffs are all 80% torque biasing I thought? certainly the ones i had for 2 different car look identical and there's nothing to change with preload or friction.

Wavetrac if a quaife with a gimmick if you want my opinion (which you might not :D) - quaife have been around in motorsport and production cars for a long time.

I'm having M4 lower arms and Bird's Bilsteins fitted on the 28th to hopefully fix the dodgy handling

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
image.png

Associate
@IC3 have you fitted the LCAs yet?

I have just with some ‘fast road geometry’
Turn in is fantastic but I seem to get some horrible vibration/chatter over rough road surfaces and wondered if this was a consequence of the setup of something wrong ?

Soldato
Totally different but I had a Wavetrac diff in my Honda DC5 and it was fantastic, noticeably better than the stock diff. If I had to do any kind of LSD upgrade in anther car I'd seriously consider them again.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
@IC3 have you fitted the LCAs yet?

Do you've the Tension Struts as well? What's the mileage on the car? Is it lowered or standard suspension (Adaptive?).

I think it might be the stock TS, the bushings could be shot and M4 LCA's stiffer bushings will just make that more apparent.

BTW I sold mine this weekend, I managed to test drive M140i with everything I was planning on doing and it still didn't behave how I wanted. The increased prices since I bought it only helped me with the decision. I test drove an M2 manual, but ideally I would need a week with it to see if it would tickle my pickle. :p I do have a new project car, but I'll revel it once its done (won't be anytime soon tho)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom