• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why GPU prices are NOT likely to drop significantly EVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I wonder how many cards that were purchased at an exorbitant prices, will magically 'break' under warranty when next gen arrives - for a free upgrade?

If I'd been extorted - I'd be considering reverse extortion.

Roll on an explosion of Neodymium magnet purchases to help get that card in for an RMA :D

Can someone tests this works on their 3080/Ti/3090:eek:?..... Asking for a friend.

Soldato
Exactly.. but err its mining... except that market crashed two months ago.. still waiting for this epic flood (which was always a myth). To me the longer it continues the more it was likely the supply chain and scalpers being the issue (check consoles and random hardware as you cant mine on them and they still had their issues).

Mining was definitely one of the reasons but I never thought for a second that the flood would happen overnight. I predicted long ago on these forums that Black Friday would be a good time to buy a GPU and I still stand by that.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Mining was definitely one of the reasons but I never thought for a second that the flood would happen overnight. I predicted long ago on these forums that Black Friday would be a good time to buy a GPU and I still stand by that.

Depends on how you look at the timeframe. These cards released a long time ago now, by the time its black friday it will have been over a year and halfway through its gen cycle. Lets say an AIB 3080 which if in stock was selling for £899 suddenly drops to £799 on a BF deal, its hardly a discount like we have seen in the past and again its a card that's already a year released. :)

Associate
it will. seen 1650s yesterday in stock for 140 quid. cards will come down and be in stock when more available.
If it was the deal I'm thinking of, then this quote there was telling:
"It's only 20% faster than the HD 7970 I'm currently using and that card will be a decade old in December"
They did go on to acknowledge that is uses a lot less power, but still after nearly a decade that's pretty poor.
My age old upgrade criteria used to be: double the performance for the same cost ever 3-4 years. That went out the window about a decade ago; partially why I'm still on a i5-3750K years after buying it. That's just CPU prices, never mind GPU prices even before this last year's the price boom.

Associate
"It's only 20% faster than the HD 7970 I'm currently using and that card will be a decade old in December"
They did go on to acknowledge that is uses a lot less power, but still after nearly a decade that's pretty poor.
My age old upgrade criteria used to be: double the performance for the same cost ever 3-4 years. That went out the window about a decade ago; partially why I'm still on a i5-3750K years after buying it. That's just CPU prices, never mind GPU prices even before this last year's the price boom.

Indeed, I upgraded to an RX590 in 2019 but my wife's HD 7970 is still suprisingly good in most games (granted, the most demanding one she used is Horizon Zero Dawn)

Caporegime

its quite a bit faster than a 1050ti so in todays current situation and pricing its not far off right. its actually not a bad little card for 1080.

Man of Honour
I have a 7950 in my son's PC, replaced the RX480 that I sold. Runs surprisingly well in the sort of games he plays (Forza 7, PvZ games, few kids games off Game Pass etc - obviously he's not playing AAA shooters and stuff like that) at 1080p with mixed settings although VRAM is a bit of an issue. It is very power hungry though, I managed to blow the old PSU by overclocking it :eek:

Permabanned
I wonder how many cards that were purchased at an exorbitant prices, will magically 'break' under warranty when next gen arrives - for a free upgrade?

If I'd been extorted - I'd be considering reverse extortion.

Roll on an explosion of Neodymium magnet purchases to help get that card in for an RMA :D

Can someone tests this works on their 3080/Ti/3090:eek:?..... Asking for a friend.

Only thing is that almost every card bought from a scalper doesn't have a warranty.

Soldato
Currently a 3080 palit gaming pro on sale (preorder) at the auction site. Bought from ocuk. Love how hes said "put up at what I bought it for" as a starting price.

Associate
I am beginning to suspect that those whom are pulling the trigger now at prices significantly above MSRP might also be the same kind of people whom suffer from premature ejaculation. They just can't stay in control and blow their load. On the plus side, you can get meds for the latter. . . .

Soldato
Doesn’t seem to be ending anytime soon :)

200-300 shrink wrapped 3080 FE cards were dumped today on the Grey Market for approx £880inc Vat.

Once the dump was spotted bids went in for £930-£950 inc Vat.

The price yesterday was £1,250-£1,350 inc Vat.

I will keep an eye on the dump tomorrow, its the first big dump I have seen for the 3080 in about a year.

Vm0ehGZ.png

Associate
Currently its very much worth looking at multiple retailers for cards as prices have come down much more at some retailers than others.

Associate
OP
1. **HEADLINES** Dow Jones hits 35000+ the highest in history!
2. **HEADLINES** The price of TIN hits the highest in history!
3. Not long for stocks now, just a matter of months (less than 12 months) peak could be early next year but this year is my pick.
4. GPU prices NO significant change.
5. People waiting for 4000/7000 series be prepared to pay big and likely you'll want a new motherboard, memory etc so its going to cost.
6. FASTEN YOUR SEATBELTS we're into the final few months! (and its been 50 years in the making!)
7. Read up on what happened to Japan January 1990 if you want to know what's ahead.
8. You're going to see history being made soon!

Last edited:
Soldato
1. **HEADLINES** Dow Jones hits 35000+ the highest in history!
2. **HEADLINES** The price of TIN hits the highest in history!
3. Not long for stocks now, just a matter of months (less than 12 months) peak could be early next year but this year is my pick.
4. GPU prices NO significant change.
5. People waiting for 4000/7000 series be prepared to pay big and likely you'll want a new motherboard, memory etc so its going to cost.
6. FASTEN YOUR SEATBELTS we're into the final few months! (and its been 50 years in the making!)
7. Read up on what happened to Japan January 1990 if you want to know what's ahead.
8. You're going to see history being made soon!

Ok boomer.

there is only one thing that will stop prices for everything all over the world going up.

do you know what it is? It's called printing. When governments stop printing money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom