G30 5 series buying advice

Soldato
OP
Seemingly have connected services until end of October on the car according to the my bmw app so will see how it goes

In on Thursday morning to have the WiFi antenna fitted and apple carplay enabled

Soldato
Also on phev models you can start the real AC
think it may have come up before, but I wonder if most phev do have an electric compressor, perhaps w/o that it would make a nonsence of the ~30mile tax autonomy -
leaving it plugged in, in the morning, would help for departure (like bevs); or, in current weather, using those free tescos charging slots.

but £99/year is a bit scummy.

Man of Honour
but £99/year is a bit

It's free for 3 years, you can't expect them to allow you totally free access to the mobile network for owners of 3-10 year old cars surely. There are cheaper packages than £99 as the £99 option also includes map updates.

Feels quite reasonable to me.

Soldato
It's free for 3 years, you can't expect them to allow you totally free access to the mobile network for owners of 3-10 year old cars surely. There are cheaper packages than £99 as the £99 option also includes map updates.

Feels quite reasonable to me.

They do a decent black friday discount on it too, mine expired about that time of year so did that. Map updates are a total faff it has to be said though, takes the best part of a full day to do it.

Man of Honour
What's changed in the process? Usually takes me about 60 minutes from clicking download to locking the car after having completed it in my 2015 5 Series.

The only nuisance is having to keep going out and waking the car up to continue the process.

G30 has auto update for the home region anyway over the air so you only really need to update the map manually when you want a new base map for overseas usage.

Soldato
Well the download is nearly 40GB and the download server is slow so it takes absolutely ages even on a good connection, then it takes ages again to extract to USB, and again it takes well over an hour to load it onto the car. You can get OTA updates but that costs more and typically the updates are well behind the downloadable one.

Man of Honour
Well the download is nearly 40GB and the download server is slow so it takes absolutely ages even on a good connection, then it takes ages again to extract to USB, and again it takes well over an hour to load it onto the car. You can get OTA updates but that costs more and typically the updates are well behind the downloadable one.

This isn't my experience, the download usually takes about 20 minutes (obviously it's connection dependant) but yes the load process on the car is time consuming. It isn't a day by any means though, it's about an hour or so like I said.

Soldato
OP
quick update, full screen carplay all setup with a wifi module installed in little over an hour this morning, no drama no fuss. paid £150 fitted for the module and relevant coding.
I also found out i have a split opening tailgate more of a novelty considering the tailgate opens and closes off the key anway but something i didnt know was there.

good day all round

Man of Honour
I also found out i have a split opening tailgate more of a novelty considering the tailgate opens and closes off the key anyway but something i didnt know was there.

Every 5 Series Touring since at least the E34 of 1989 has this :D

mjt

mjt

Soldato
quick update, full screen carplay all setup with a wifi module installed in little over an hour this morning, no drama no fuss. paid £150 fitted for the module and relevant coding.
I also found out i have a split opening tailgate more of a novelty considering the tailgate opens and closes off the key anway but something i didnt know was there.

good day all round
Does yours have the remote opening boot if you wave your foot under the bumper?
Tried it on a test drive and it didn’t work. I just looked like an idiot :(

Associate
Does yours have the remote opening boot if you wave your foot under the bumper?
Tried it on a test drive and it didn’t work. I just looked like an idiot :(

I forget about this feature and so far all I have managed to do is open the boot whilst washing the car accidentally, and almost closing my head in it whilst loading shopping - luckily it does make a reversing type noise for a couple of seconds before it tries to decapitate you!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Needs comfort access for that not just electronic tailgate.
Ah fair enough. Wasn’t sure if it could be specified as a standalone option.

I forget about this feature and so far all I have managed to do is open the boot whilst washing the car accidentally, and almost closing my head in it whilst loading shopping - luckily it does make a reversing type noise for a couple of seconds before it tries to decapitate you!
Haha. The sensors work well so it would open again. You can’t close the window on your fingers either. Unless you’ve got frameless windows :p

Soldato

good day all round

I've been quoted £80 for Carplay and Wifi module and £150 for Speed Limit Information for my 530e. Makes me question the seller a little bit given the price differential, but then again there seems to be quite a difference searching around.

Soldato
OP
I looked at a few 530e s and they all seems to have the WiFi module pre fitted which would explain the cost difference. Mine included a new wifi module being supplied and fitted

speed limit information seems expensive as I understand it it’s just coding as all U.K. cars have the version 4 camera

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Sorry to hijack, but WTF are these wheels? As a fanboi, I try to defend BMW styling, but what the actual ****?

DMt6Mjo.jpg

Ad here if anybody cares.

Back
Top Bottom