• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Can a game kill a GPU?

Soldato
The game/software can't directly. It has to be crappy firmware.

A game has no control over voltages or clock speeds. It's a high level application.

Last edited:
Associate
Framerate capping doesn't really help.
I had my FPS capped to 60 and still got a black screen + fans revving while walking around.
Luckily I was able to boot again but Im staying well clear of NW for now.
And yes - I have one of the first generation 3090 FTW3 Ultra with latest bios, drivers etc.

I think EVGA offer to swap those out - it might be worth doing, since in the long run (possibly even after its warranty period) you might be ambushed by a similar but unexpected situation in a game causing something like that.

Soldato
Was some drivers that came out when I had my GTX 580 that caused the fan/temps to go nuts :p but ideally GPU should have adequate protections against this sort of thing.

Yeah you are correct Nvidia released a driver one summer that caused the fan to stop working (not go nuts) and it caused a few cards to die before it was withdrawn. Was out about a week or so and then warnings went up everywhere then it got pulled. So yeah contrary to what people say software can kill your hardware. It was actually Nvidia that did it you could argue.

Man of Honour
Can a game kill a GPU?

Yes but only if it already has a weakness.

A good example is Civ5 a 10 year old game that is very good at knocking over CPUs with poor cooling or unstable overclocks. It is often better at this than some of the more regular tools for test CPUs.

Soldato
Yeah you are correct Nvidia released a driver one summer that caused the fan to stop working (not go nuts) and it caused a few cards to die before it was withdrawn. Was out about a week or so and then warnings went up everywhere then it got pulled. So yeah contrary to what people say software can kill your hardware. It was actually Nvidia that did it you could argue.

Had a look and it was actually my GTX 295 - infamous 196.75 drivers from Mar 2010 had it hitting 100C :p

Soldato
Associate
In theory software cant kill hardware.

If u go to absolute basics, the software is 1 or 0 . (Until quantum pc comes to market.)

Hardware is a transistor that is on (1) (current flows thro) or off (0) (No current goes thro) That's it.

One enables the other.

Now if u start going into Real-world, i guess bad design, missing protections, heat issues, or any other mil possible things can result in damaged hardware but it's so so unlikely and with huge oversight.

Soldato
OP
This sort of thing should not be possible anymore. For several years now GPU's have had a myriad of protections built in to stop such issues, that's why manufacturers have become so chill about overclocking and yet somehow this game manages to bypass all the safety protections and make the GPU draw enough power to kill itself

Soldato
More 3090 issues. So this time it looks like power issues then? This wouldn't be happening if it was just hardware enthusists buying 3090's like the name of the tier suggests.

When the 3090 was designed, Nvidia obviously didn't anticipate that amatures would also buy 3090s due to a shortage of the lower teirs.

Associate
Watched the video. Im still 100% convinced software doesn't kill hardware.

I can see how game can demand full power draw, but the card should be designed to withstand any kind of punishment. Im willing to bet 3090 and maybe 3080ti are build on their physical limits, and here comes a game that's stress test the card and components go puff.

All the software can do is demand more power........ Hardware and Firmware should have set limits in place to protect themselves. I think nvidia pushed 3090 design over the line, and components cant handle the stress. I guess we will find out more in time.

Back
Top Bottom