• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU Advice

Associate
So my patience is wearing thin and I'm looking to buy a placeholder GPU which is gonna be slightly better than what I have since I cancelled my 3080 order like an idiot :D.

My current Specs:
CPU - Ryzen 5800x (NHD15 cooler)
PSU - Corsair RM850x
MB - MSI 570x Tomahawk wifi
GPU - GTX 745
Case - Phanteks P500a

My thoughts are getting a 1050ti at £160. There is plenty of space in the case so anything fits. I was looking to get 1650 super at £150 before the shortages and before I built this system but I can't find one anywhere close to this price since.

What do you guys recommend in the £200 range as a placeholder? Do you have any advice on getting a 3080 at reasonable price? (keeping the competitor rules in mind)

Associate
In part it depends what you play, a new 1030 GDDR5 is about £85 and plays undemanding games like the Sims. You could go the 2nd hand route and buy a 970 from the chain that gives a 2 year warranty, it is around £165 with better performance than the 1050ti. I would then just keep waiting for prices to drop, obviously best prices for a Nvidia 3080 is a founders edition if you manage to get one after setting up an alert

Associate
OP
In part it depends what you play, a new 1030 GDDR5 is about £85 and plays undemanding games like the Sims. You could go the 2nd hand route and buy a 970 from the chain that gives a 2 year warranty, it is around £165 with better performance than the 1050ti. I would then just keep waiting for prices to drop, obviously best prices for a Nvidia 3080 is a founders edition if you manage to get one after setting up an alert
I play things like Black Desert online and plan to play New World after beta. Second hand 970 does sound nice.

Associate
OP
Have you considered sticking with the GTX745: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjGDDbV50cg&t=1011s
For £200 I would scour the secondhand market, maybe a GTX1070.
I agree, this card is a beast considering how old it is. Even re-pasted it recently gave me a nice boost but unfortunately it is getting a bit to weak for the things I play. Black Desert has a feature that lets you put it away in a tray and consume less resources while you complete afk tasks. I often like to leave it in the tray and do its thing and it's limiting its performance further. Even Black desert itself runs at 17 fps during combat with absolutelowest settings.

Back
Top Bottom