Preferred pronouns

Caporegime
I know this was a big topic a couple of years back when JBP argued the case in Canada (Bill C-16).

I've only just started noticing it hit the workplace over here with several people including their preferred pronouns after their name in email signatures. Personally, it doesn't affect me at the moment and the ones I've seen so far are normal (not seen ze/hir yet for example).

Anyone else noticed it creeping in and if so, thoughts?

Capodecina
Soldato
Yes, as I mentioned in another thread recently, one of my colleagues has her name on her ID badge and "Pronouns: She/Her" on it.

I haven't seen it adopted en masse here though, just one or two special people have it on their name badges, and one or two special people have it in their email signatures.

Man of Honour
It's becoming common at my place. I've not yet seen anyone put anything other than him/he and her/she. I don't have a problem with it but I do wonder whether it's just virtue signalling as most of those adding it tend to be people actively trying to progress higher in the organisation.

Soldato
Well, it's so people know how to address you with the correct gender identity so that you don't get offended.
See this I don't understand, I don't address people using a gender identity to their faces.. And it's pretty clear what gender people are or are trying to be when talking about someone to someone else. It makes zero sense.

Edit to rephrase

Caporegime
Yes, as I mentioned in another thread recently, one of my colleagues has her name on her ID badge and "Pronouns: She/Her" on it.

I haven't seen it adopted en masse here though, just one or two special people have it on their name badges, and one or two special people have it in their email signatures.

I may be thick, but why put she/her of they're already female/she /her or is it to do with identifying?

Tbh, it doesn't bother me, I'm more intrigued just so I know!

Man of Honour
See this I don't understand, I don't address people using a gender identity to their faces.. And it's pretty clear what gender people are or are trying to be when talking about someone to someone else. It makes zero sense.

Edit to rephrase
Fascist! Mysogenist! :D

Capodecina
Soldato
it's pretty clear what gender people are

In 99% of cases it is, yes. But if you make a mistake the misidentified party will correct you and then post about oppression on social media, and the company may end up having to pay out compensation and change their logo to rainbow colours.

Don

Edit to rephrase

I'm not sure what difference it makes either - I can't really think of a situation where I wouldn't refer to people at work by name.

Soldato
I'm not sure what difference it makes either - I can't really think of a situation where I wouldn't refer to people at work by name.

indeed, seems to be much more usual these days for "hi [firstname]....." for internal mail most of the time.

even easier when academic titles are involved (Dr/Professor).

that said, don't know anyone in my workplace who's preferred pronoun would be unintuitive, or if there are they're not bothering to communicate it.

Back
Top Bottom