• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

Man of Honour
the actual problem is rtx 3070 can't handle RT maxed out in Cyberpunk at native 1080p

CP2077 is a bit disappointing in this respect - you have all the overhead of traditional rendering techniques then some RT slapped on, with all the extra overhead of that, to fix the bits where traditional rendering techniques fall down rather than utilising RT for its best effect. Although they'd really need to design the game for RT from the ground up to take advantage of that which would eliminate non-RT capable hardware.

There are isolated bits in CP2077 where RT shines but 90% of the game you can barely tell it is enabled other than when you see reflections under conditions that screen space type techniques fall down. I can't personally un-see that the RT reflections in CP2077 are downgraded versions of the actual scene with some objects missing, etc. such as the player as well.

The only time I'd accept the compromises of FSR or DLSS personally is to get a decent RT experience in a game and nothing really does that yet. The closest is the path tracing in Quake 2 but that won't excite a lot of people and still struggles with noise in high contrast or dark areas.

Soldato
OP
CP2077 is a bit disappointing in this respect - you have all the overhead of traditional rendering techniques then some RT slapped on, with all the extra overhead of that, to fix the bits where traditional rendering techniques fall down rather than utilising RT for its best effect. Although they'd really need to design the game for RT from the ground up to take advantage of that which would eliminate non-RT capable hardware.

There are isolated bits in CP2077 where RT shines but 90% of the game you can barely tell it is enabled other than when you see reflections under conditions that screen space type techniques fall down. I can't personally un-see that the RT reflections in CP2077 are downgraded versions of the actual scene with some objects missing, etc. such as the player as well.

The only time I'd accept the compromises of FSR or DLSS personally is to get a decent RT experience in a game and nothing really does that yet. The closest is the path tracing in Quake 2 but that won't excite a lot of people and still struggles with noise in high contrast or dark areas.

I have no issue turning on dlss 2.0 or newer in any game and in fact I do because I like the look -even if there is no rt I still use dlss when available

Soldato
Tried resident evil village last night it looks really good I was getting an extra 20/30fps

I did take some screenshots but it didn't capture the fps counter so I couldn't tell what was native vs ultra FSR XD

I can post them later

Soldato
Apparently they're making it a universal togglable feature in Proton, so every game will get it. :confused: Seems too good to be true, but haven't looked into it too much. Clearly there's a lot that can be done with it.

Associate
Apparently they're making it a universal togglable feature in Proton, so every game will get it. :confused: Seems too good to be true, but haven't looked into it too much. Clearly there's a lot that can be done with it.

That's possible but then it likely will be like a reshade - injected into the final image, upscaling things like UI etc. I think AMD should offer the same just in their drivers, so it would work in all games - they already offer bilinear upscaling, so might as well offer that. It would be better quality than bilinear even if UI elements get upscaled.

Soldato
If it's injected this way, like the current fullscreen wine/proton hack, it will also affect UI elements and stuff it should not affect. The point of in game FSR is that it's only applied to the correct elements. These hacks are like the early days of FXAA when people were applying it willy nilly.

Associate
If it's injected this way, like the current fullscreen wine/proton hack, it will also affect UI elements and stuff it should not affect. The point of in game FSR is that it's only applied to the correct elements. These hacks are like the early days of FXAA when people were applying it willy nilly.

Which is exactly what I said above too and what AMD said themselves - people can inject it like that but it won't be as good as implemented by game's devs.

Associate
Sanity check, at what point do we expect a card that can do Ray tracing at native 2k-ish, 60+FPS?

That's not how it works, as it depends on how much raytracing? How many effects, how complex the scene, what other tech is being used, etc. It's impossible to predict when but looking at what various figures like John Carmack are saying about RT - it will come, when hardware is fast enough, possibly in the next 20 years, for full scene RT (ergo, not that soon like some people imagine). Baby steps - current implementations are still just baby steps, with very little rays casted and lots of noise that's being removed using various denoising algorithms (not perfect, in darker areas it's still easy to spot lots of noise). As in, current best RT implementations in game include lots of cheating to run it with any sensible speeds.

Associate
That's not how it works, as it depends on how much raytracing? How many effects, how complex the scene, what other tech is being used, etc. s.

Fair. I'm thinking more, takes current RT level effects and detail levels, and runs them natively at that resolution? Not full, full scene ray tracing.

Associate
Fair. I'm thinking more, takes current RT level effects and detail levels, and runs them natively at that resolution? Not full, full scene ray tracing.

I suppose we'll see how much faster they can make it in the next gen. If the jump in performance will be big, it gives some chances to speculate. But if it's a small incremental change... It might get quite a few more years to get there.

Permabanned
Sanity check, at what point do we expect a card that can do Ray tracing at native 2k-ish, 60+FPS?
rtx 3070 can brute force push 1440p 80+ fps in with maxed out rt in:

-metro exodus ee
-re village
-control
-doom eternal (100+ frames at native 1440p)

3090 can push 1440p 55-70 fps in cyberpunk, if u ask cyberpunk and a cheap gpu, rtx 4070 will probably decimate and destroy 3090 so it should easily push 1440p 80 frames in cyberpunk with rt maxed out. and then the 5060 so i 'd say for cheap side, it will take 3-4 years

but most games will refrain from being a cyberpunk so its best to take examples out of re:village, metro and doom eternal instead of cyberfunk

Back
Top Bottom