• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5950x high core voltage while idling

Associate
Hi Guys

Can someone please help me to figure out why my 5950x idles between 1.4-1.5v? I'm currently only having 2 chrome tabs open but it still idles at a super high voltage in my opinion - which in return also affects the temps.

https://postimg.cc/ygnDWkRG

EDIT: this is stock. I've tried fiddling around with PBO curves. Unfortunately, nothing changed. The high idle voltage still remained the same.

Last edited:
Soldato
your high idle voltages are because you have chrome open that browser takes a lot of ram and uses some of your cpu core to delivery the best experence, open taskmanager and check the cpu tab, if you click it the background app or process will be at the top with a reading how much cpu is being used.

i'm a fellow 5950x owner and have had no such issues but there again i use firefox and disable all background apps to keep things cool, plus i have a manual voltage set in my bios of 1.25v max, my cpu is using pbo too and i see 5ghz on most cores for a time and usally settles back to 4.5-4.6ghz in games at my manual voltage of 1.25v via the bios.
When i exit and settle back to the windows desktop i see my cpu drop back around 3.5-3.9ghz and remains nice and cool (my cpu usage is around 2-5% idle in windows)

my temps are around the low 40's at idle and under heavy game load i see close to 70 degrees, i run a noctua nh12 black cooler in push pull

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi Guys

Can someone please help me to figure out why my 5950x idles between 1.4-1.5v? I'm currently only having 2 chrome tabs open but it still idles at a super high voltage in my opinion - which in return also affects the temps.

EDIT: this is stock. I've tried fiddling around with PBO curves. Unfortunately, nothing changed. The high idle voltage still remained the same.
If you haven't already try installing Ryzen Master and try playing around with the Profiles.

Associate
Hi Guys

High voltage at idle is normal, it lowers the voltage when it becomes under load.

Associate
Yep, I've experienced the same thing. It seems "normal" for this CPU, at high idle temps too.

Check your system for background processes using any amount of CPU time - use Ryzen Master too so you can view the load and clock speed of each core at idle.

Once I tweaked my system a bit and removed all sources of CPU use at idle (even MSI Afterburner was using a few % since it had starting monitoring all the cores...) my idle voltage is about 1.13v

As soon as you get moderate use of just a single core though, boom! 1.4-1.5v and quick temperature spike. The voltage is actually lower with all cores loaded.

EDIT: Make sure to use Ryzen Master to monitor the voltage too, not HWInfo. I'm not convinced 3rd party tools can report this CPU properly. Core Temp for example tells me my CPU is using 1.48v at the same time Ryzen Master says 1.1. Since Ryzen Master is from the people who make the CPU, I'm more inclined to trust what that's telling me.

Associate
Not THAT normal.
Normal idle is 0.9V and clocking down below 2.5GHz. Hitting as low as 1.8GHz after latest bios update for me

But if any sort of background activity keeps CPU from full idle, it will be showing high voltage.
As you can see from temps and power, most parts of CPU are deep asleep and high volts are not reaching them.

So mostly you can ignore that, just a number. But also look if you have any bacground apps you don't need. Think RGB software and game clients like Epic are the usual culprits. In my case when qbittorrent is running in background CPU won't downclock.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi Guys

anything up to 1.5v is 100% normal at idle

Soldato
I will chime in too, It's normal and ignore the people saying it isn't.

At Idle the voltage is high and when under load the voltage drops as you will see. Normal behaviour of a Ryzen chip.

Associate
Yep, I can also confirm that my 5950x is doing the same and when doing a stress test in CPUID the CoreVoltage drops to around 1.0V. I am perfectly happy as long temperatures do not exceed 90C at any time.

Associate
Similar behaviour to what I'm seeing on 5900x. It was a bit jarring at first because I upgraded from a Skylake quad core (i7 6700K) which idles at like 25 to 30C and ramps hard and fast to 72C under load. vcore varied from 0.4V to 1.25V and only really hits 1.25V sustained under heavy load while turboing. Base and boost clocks are not appreciably different. The 5900x and by extension, 5950x just seem to work differently.

There is a massive difference between base and single core boost clocks and the 5900x idles hot by comparison - 40C minimum and frequently single core boosts. So idle to light work loads will see temps swinging between 40C and 65C. During this time, vcore can twitch up to 1.4 or 1.5V.

But when its under heavy all core load it doesn't get much hotter really and vcore tends to go down because its not single core boosting all the time. 1.1V to 1.3V ish. 72 to 78ish ish when every core is under load at base clocks.

This is with an NZXT S340 Elite, Noctua U12A (push/pull A12x25s), stock noctua thermal compound, 2x intake (NF-A14 Industrial 2k 24V) and 2x exhaust (NF-F12 Industrial 2K 24V). So not by any means a rig built for stonking thermals. Most of this was taken from my old Skylake build except I went from a U12S (push/pull NF-F12s) to the U12A.

Inclined to believe this is normal behaviour like others in this thread, just different to what I'm used to from previous builds. Then again, this is the first time I've ever had more than 4 physical cores on a desktop so still learning the new behaviour.

The frequent, massive boosting in light work loads meant I had to redo my fan rpm curves. Longer hysteresis so fan rpm ramping doesn't track the boost behaviour closely, resulting in frequently "dustbuster" bursts when idling which sounds annoying. Its ok to let it briefly and frequently shoot up to 65C at idle/light tasks at low constant fan speeds and it seems to handle it well. It doesn't boost up and stay up so idle temps and vcore fluctuate a lot but it seems fine. I didn't get much peace of mind though until I saw loads of other people reporting similar observations.

Last edited:
Associate
The frequent, massive boosting in light work loads meant I had to redo my fan rpm curves. Longer hysteresis so fan rpm ramping doesn't track the boost behaviour closely, resulting in frequently "dustbuster" bursts when idling which sounds annoying. Its ok to let it briefly and frequently shoot up to 65C at idle/light tasks at low constant fan speeds and it seems to handle it well. It doesn't boost up and stay up so idle temps and vcore fluctuate a lot but it seems fine. I didn't get much peace of mind though until I saw loads of other people reporting similar observations.

This reminds me I need to tweak my curve further, the fans don't ramp hard but enough to be noticeable. During gaming too, overall usage can be very low, below 35% but at around 65°c the fans audibly increase just for a moment before the temp quickly drops again.

It makes me miss my Corsair H115i where the fan and pump speeds could be tied to liquid temperature, making it far easier to regulate noise output.

Back
Top Bottom