• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Can a game kill a GPU?

Associate
Should not be possible for software to damage hardware, period.

Either EVGA are doing something odd with their cards or if its more widespread its Nvidia's problem.

Igor was pretty convinced that EVGA actually bypass the failsafe which Nvidia have build in. The reason seems to be that a few years ago the GPU didn't have such a failsafe, so EVGA created their own. And pride / stubbornness / having bought a lot of their solution etc. makes them continue to use it even now when GPUs have their own.

So much for EVGA being the premium Nvidia brand then :p

Cheap parts on expensive cards.. now who would have thought it.

Put a nail on those who argue that high prices = quality, the "I spend more therefore I am" people.
Not that cheap isn't cheap, it's just that paying more is no guarantee of quality.
Once a cheapskate penny pinching manufacturer, always a cheapskate penny pinching manufacturer irrespective of price. Do Samsung still put poor capacitors in all their TV power supplies?

V F

V F

Soldato
Damn the game is in a spotlight for all the wrong reasons.

Does that mean this will earn the reward for... "Can it run New World?"

EVGA's Pascal cards were literally catching on fire at one point.

EVGA responded by sending out thermal pads to people, issuing a new BIOS with a more aggressive fan curve and eventually just plain replacing the affected models with FTW2 revisions. Personally, I've always thought that EVGA's coolers weren't that great. Most of the EVGA cards I've had have been pretty loud. The reason most people shill them so hard is because of their warranty service, but even that isn't so great for UK owners any more. They shut down their UK service centre, so now you have to ship the card all the way to Germany. Anecdotally, I've also found their email support to be pretty unhelpful and disinterested.

As for what's best right now, it's Asus without question. I really don't like Asus as a company either (and they're apparently bad for warranty service too), but they undisputably knocked it out of the park with their recent coolers. The Strix dominates everything in noise-normalised testing, but even the cheaper TUF models are better than almost anything else on the market.

The EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 is a solid quiet card. Even in this hot weather it hits 78C.

Soldato
OP
And still nothing from any tech tuber other than Jay that AMD cards are dieing from this.... shill gonna shill i suppose

There are people on Reddit saying their amd card has died too. Not many but there are and Jay is just saying what his Twitter followers DM'd him

take it how you will, if that's shilling then tuck me

Associate
There are people on Reddit saying their amd card has died too. Not many but there are and Jay is just saying what his Twitter followers DM'd him

take it how you will, if that's shilling then tuck me
I always go to Reddit for my 100% accurate and factual information.

Soldato
Lol, so the devs actually capped the FPS in the menus, well hopefully the placebo will make some people feel better xD

think these developers need to have a look at their game.....
A game cannot damage card, merely expose design flaws in the card which can damage it.

Associate
Been playing this since it came out a couple days ago, fine for me on undervolted 3080 same as any other GPU intensive game.

Seems it's mainly evga 3090 cards can't handle the heat, can't say I'm surprised the 3090 is a power hungry monster. I wasn't comfortable with a 3080 at stock volts nevermind a 3090. Will we now see 3090 memes like the good ol' 590 housefire memes I wonder.

If it didn't happen in this game it would've happened in another.

Soldato
And still nothing from any tech tuber other than Jay that AMD cards are dieing from this.... shill gonna shill i suppose
LOOL I knew he would not kill the EVGA card, because he's the number one shill for EVGA and then Steve from GN is the next one. Without EVGA as their sponsors for their benchmark games there would be no benchmarks .. Thing that annoys me about Jay is he's not stupid and even in his video he states people will say EVGA shill will be said because he knows that but reality is he is and he knows it, same with him with Intel he's their shill too, only recently AMD seems to be showing some favour on his channel and guess why ... hummm Intel have rubbish so Intel are not going to sponsor him to shill. He's a weird one really, I remember him when he started how he use to go off at Intel and Nvidia and anything the rest of us were annoyed about, but minute they start sending him free titans and top end cpus he suddenly plays they are amazing and amazing value..

I know he has a family and needs the channel to pay his bills so kinda don't want to have a go at him and his arrogant replies to some are not cool too, he wasn't this bad before but now he needs the channel to work and as I said has a family so you can understand his point of view too.. reality is I have days I want to put him in his place and remind him what he was like and deep down I know he knows some of the rubbish he says and shills is just part of the job, so I don't bother and remember he has a family and trying to make an income..

Also he was asked to live stream the testing he replied in a arrogant way and said something on twitter like , you will see the video in the end blaa blaa, but people wanted to see live testing so he couldn't edit out a card blowing up, he has many of the 3090 ftw3s and the 3080s and the kingpins, he is fully loaded with 3000 series cards from EVGA and more than one of each. So if one did blow up he had a spare...

Back
Top Bottom