Colleague off sick for five weeks. Has Doctors note. Is currently in Ibiza.

Soldato
Everything online says you can legally go on holiday abroad on a sick note. Why don't you try it, say you are depressed, take a year off and travel the world.

Capodecina
Soldato
So I can be unhappy about it, but can’t really do a lot about it. As I suspected really!

Pretty much. You don't appear to know the reason why he's been signed off. So nothing one can say.

Everything online says you can legally go on holiday abroad on a sick note. Why don't you try it, say you are depressed.

I think this is the thing. People may be thinking he "lied" to get a holiday, but it's more complex than that.

No matter what his photos are like you don't know what's really going on in his head.

Man of Honour
You don’t know the reason for sick leave, so you can’t really take any stance on it. Plus there are too many illnesses that you just can’t see. Move on. Life’s too short.

Soldato
I have been on holiday within the UK whilst on a sick note. It was about 5 weeks after my gallbladder surgery. Work were fine with it. It just meant I had another 6 days to book off later in the annual leave year. As you can't be on the sick and annual leave at the same time, sickness takes over annual leave.

Caporegime
OP
what did you think you would be ablt to do about it? it has absolutely nothing to do with you, as has been said in this thread many times.

You should butt out and let management deal with things they understand, which you clearly dont. Be as unhappy as you want but keep your nosey nose to yourself.
Alright matey, steady on!

Soldato
Lots of keyboard warriors on here today!

OP, you have a right to be cross, especially if you are now feeling more overworked and underpaid than ever. I suggest you approach management and threaten to go on stress leave as the additional burden is affecting your mental health. That'll teach them for not reducing demand when capacity is constrained - textbook management.

Soldato
"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment." - Marcus Aurelius.

Ah, that great clinical psychologist Marcus Aurelius.

Just be happy.

Almost as good as "why don't homeless people just.... buy a house".

Man of Honour
The truth will come out eventually and he'll either be fired, or held to account if he's being anything but genuine.

If he is truly ill with a doctor's note, then let it be. If he continues to do sod all at work in the future when he's back, hopefully he'll be performance managed.

So let it go, and whilst his illness is none of your business, his behaviour at work when he is at work is, so wait for that moment, and then take it up with the management team.

Man of Honour
what did you think you would be ablt to do about it? it has absolutely nothing to do with you, as has been said in this thread many times.

You should butt out and let management deal with things they understand, which you clearly dont. Be as unhappy as you want but keep your nosey nose to yourself.

You forgot to use CAPS - your rant is now worthless.

Commissario
To the OP though. How do you know he's doing this?

If social media, then I utterly despair.
When I was signed off from work for a number of weeks and went on holiday, I still posted on social media. There wasn't any problem doing that, the company knew I was away, they were very keen for me to still take my holiday because they knew it would help with the recovery.

Caporegime
OP
Lots of keyboard warriors on here today!

OP, you have a right to be cross, especially if you are now feeling more overworked and underpaid than ever. I suggest you approach management and threaten to go on stress leave as the additional burden is affecting your mental health. That'll teach them for not reducing demand when capacity is constrained - textbook management.
They’ve just hired new people, they started today! Will take a while to come up to speed though!

Soldato
When I was signed off from work for a number of weeks and went on holiday, I still posted on social media. There wasn't any problem doing that, the company knew I was away, they were very keen for me to still take my holiday because they knew it would help with the recovery.

It just rubs peoples noses in it though and invites scrutiny. Keep it quiet as it's bound to upset the people left behind in a steaming office during the summer.

I'm anti SM anyway, having been away from it for almost 4 years (bar this forum, if it counts) I can't understand the compulsion unless privacy is at high and only close friends/family on there. Never understood the "add work colleagues" crowd - do it after you've left the company ffs.

Man of Honour
It just rubs peoples noses in it though and invites scrutiny. Keep it quiet as it's bound to upset the people left behind in a steaming office during the summer.

I'm anti SM anyway, having been away from it for almost 4 years (bar this forum, if it counts) I can't understand the compulsion unless privacy is at high and only close friends/family on there. Never understood the "add work colleagues" crowd - do it after you've left the company ffs.

I agree I think social media is a pariah on society and societal behaviours now. People live vicariously through social media rather than living their lives in the present moment.

Anyway, that's a different topic. I think if people are posting on social media when signed off sick and you have colleagues as "friends" then you can expect a bit of a backlash, regardless.

Back
Top Bottom