BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
There's just something really nice about the way a 5 Series covers large distances - plus it's hardly terrible when the road gets fun, either. They are such brilliant all rounders, it's rare you ever find yourself in a situation where you're in the wrong car.

Associate
Just got back from the dealership. M340i ordered, feel like a kid again. Petrol saloon. Sunset Orange with Tacora red leather, it is a very subtle red almost brown so it doesnt clash with the orange. I dont like boring colours, the dealership was filled with black, white, grey and blue cars. Went for the tech pack plus, so HUD (which was really good even in the sunny weather, and wasnt distracting which I thought it would be), onboard driver recorder, gesture control (may never use), parking assistance and driving assistance professional (as I wanted the adaptive cruise control). Accdording to the order computer the Hardon Kardon sound system is still there as it is an M340i. The only things it will not come with are passenger lumbar support, wireless charging and enhanced bluetooth.

Gave me one to try on a test drive for an hour, amazing performance. Stuck behind a tractor for 20 minutes with no oppertunity for an overtake, but when I had an open road the acceleration was rapid. Especially as I currently have an evoque. Didnt accept his first "dealer contribution" so pushed for more, he was fair in my (already researched) opinion for the numbers on my part ex.

So he has tentitivley said that second week in October (w/c 11th Oct) is when it may arrive. But I am in no rush so if it gets delayed for a bit then so be it. The only thing he said that all UK M340i's now get made in Mexico, I thought that they were still made in Munich?

Off to work this afternoon, wont be able to do any work though.
:)

Soldato
Yes - good paint colour,
always admire a 3 touring half down cambridge milton Rd ,as I crawl past in traffic jam - just before the white jag with a custom/illegal HOLBY reg plate.

Caporegime
quick question... is there any reason NOT to take an X3 30d M Sport over the X3 20D M Sport, apart from the economy?
Is the economy really that different? Are you going to spend more time with your foot buried to the floor to make decent progress compared to half throttle in the 30d, thus completely negating any improved economy? Road tax difference and insurance need to be considered.

Caporegime
Is the economy really that different? Are you going to spend more time with your foot buried to the floor to make decent progress compared to half throttle in the 30d, thus completely negating any improved economy? Road tax difference and insurance need to be considered.

As someone who has owned a 2l vs 3l BMW...yes.

If you need to have your foot buried in the floor to "make progress" whilst in a 2l diesel BMW then you need driving lessons.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
As someone who has owned a 2l vs 3l BMW...yes.

If you need to have your foot buried in the floor to "make progress" whilst in a 2l diesel BMW then you need driving lessons.

That is going to depend on your definition of progress isn't it? I say this because my F10 520d needed a lot more of a hoofing than my F10 535d did to make similar progress ;)

Man of Honour
quick question... is there any reason NOT to take an X3 30d M Sport over the X3 20D M Sport, apart from the economy?

No.

The 30d is faster, smoother, quieter, almost as efficient and more reliable than the 20d. The only reason to buy a 20d is they are usefully cheaper which means you may get a better spec, newer or lower mileage example for your budget.

Man of Honour
I’ve had my F01 730d LCI since March now so thought I’d post a few thoughts…

Unsurprisingly, it’s a fantastic car, it makes everything a breeze and with the parking sensors/camera, manoeuvring is easy – it’s not really that big.

I had an F10 LCI 520d for 3 years and it’s really quite similar on the whole, which shows how good the F10 is. The 7 feels a bit more solid, and the air/adaptive suspension definitely improves the ride quality on certain surfaces. The interior quality is not dissimilar, although there are quite a few nice touches you don’t tend to find on most F10’s.

Given the size, it’s not a sports car, but you can hustle it very enjoyably down a country road with no fuss. It can corner like a much smaller car (to a point) and is more than just a motorway cruiser.

The performance is excellent and within the speed limits, rarely ever leaves you wanting more, and on a long run it can achieve over 50mpg which is really quite impressive.

Soft-close doors is one of those things you don’t think is necessary, but once you’re used to it, it’s quite a pleasant thing. Although you do have to continually tell people not to slam the doors!

I really like the exterior, it looks like an imposing slab of German-ness, as all German cars should :p

wRKeeJX.jpg

OG

OG

Associate
Any advice would be appreciated to those of you with young children! We're expecting our first later this year and after having a test run of getting a folded up pram and car seat in the back of our Fiesta we soon realised a moderately larger car may be needed :cry:.

We'll probably keep the Fiesta and looking to purchase a larger family car, budget of up to £17k. Do about 9/10k miles a year (but potentially up to 15k if I end up driving to the office once things open up again). We've been looking fairly seriously at a 4 Series GC but is this going to be too 'sporty' for wrangling children in the back? I think we're both fairly sold on the idea of having a hatch, we both cycle a lot and the benefit of just being able to chuck a bike in the back of a car with one seat down is ideal. Also looking at a 3 series touring but I think my wife is terrified of how 'massive' an estate would be, it's not like we live in a hugely busy city but I do appreciate her concern of going from a small car to an estate.

So, opinions on a 4 Series GC as a family car? Would we be better off looking at a 3 series touring at this price point? We don't really have any 'equipment' must haves but if there's a chance we can have something with Android Auto+Apple Car Play that would be ideal.

Cheers

Soldato
Also looking at a 3 series touring but I think my wife is terrified of how 'massive' an estate would be,

They are literally the same car in a different format. One is no more "massive" than the other.

I cannot think of a single reason why a Touring isn't a better option for your use cases.

Caporegime
Any advice would be appreciated to those of you with young children! We're expecting our first later this year and after having a test run of getting a folded up pram and car seat in the back of our Fiesta we soon realised a moderately larger car may be needed :cry:.

We'll probably keep the Fiesta and looking to purchase a larger family car, budget of up to £17k. Do about 9/10k miles a year (but potentially up to 15k if I end up driving to the office once things open up again). We've been looking fairly seriously at a 4 Series GC but is this going to be too 'sporty' for wrangling children in the back? I think we're both fairly sold on the idea of having a hatch, we both cycle a lot and the benefit of just being able to chuck a bike in the back of a car with one seat down is ideal. Also looking at a 3 series touring but I think my wife is terrified of how 'massive' an estate would be, it's not like we live in a hugely busy city but I do appreciate her concern of going from a small car to an estate.

So, opinions on a 4 Series GC as a family car? Would we be better off looking at a 3 series touring at this price point? We don't really have any 'equipment' must haves but if there's a chance we can have something with Android Auto+Apple Car Play that would be ideal.

Cheers
I’ve just bought a 4 Series GC and while they’re lovely and I like mine a lot I wouldn’t recommend one with kids. The roofline is low, the entry into the back is small too. A 3 series touring would be a much better option.

a 320i with 2,750 miles. Yes, less than 3k miles.
I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107094833447

OG

OG

Associate
Thanks guys, that's a fairly efficient turnaround on a decision made!
I’ve just bought a 4 Series GC and while they’re lovely and I like mine a lot I wouldn’t recommend one with kids. The roofline is low, the entry into the back is small too. A 3 series touring would be a much better option.

a 320i with 2,750 miles. Yes, less than 3k miles.
I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107094833447

Nice one thanks MissChief, I appreciate it would have been easy for you to say a 4GC is the best thing ever after recently buying one but thanks for your honesty!

Back
Top Bottom