OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
They really shouldn't refuse to see children, especially ones with a pop up.

It depends. A skin condition? Absolutely. It can be diagnosed over a video call / pics. Its hardly unreasonable to refuse to see someone with a skin issue especially if they have covid symptoms.

I do think that GPs need to start opening up dont get me wrong but things can be diagnosed over a video call.

Soldato
Won't achieve much unfortunately. Primary care has largely thrown in the towel at the moment. Winter is going to be a disaster.
Did a lot last time, within weeks they had a new manager and a new receptionist.
The absolute shock when my wife went for a meeting with the practice manager and the key worker turned up as well.
So will see what happens now.

Soldato
It depends. A skin condition? Absolutely. It can be diagnosed over a video call / pics. Its hardly unreasonable to refuse to see someone with a skin issue especially if they have covid symptoms.

I do think that GPs need to start opening up dont get me wrong but things can be diagnosed over a video call.

You're getting your wires crossed, it's my child that had those symptoms not the child with skin conditions.

Soldato
You're getting your wires crossed, it's my child that had those symptoms not the child with skin conditions.

Im rereferring to

I know how it feels, our baby has a skin condition, no idea what it is. Our first telephone appointment involved us sending some photos of him and doctors 'scribed us some lotions. Sort of worked but kept coming back. Called again, same thing. They are refusing to see him to actually see what his skin is like, photos don't cut it. Its frustrating. I had to take the 2 youngest in for their jabs last week. You ring the bell and give details from outside via a speaker thing and sanitise your hands before going in, mask on obviously. Only 8 chairs in there, 2m apart all facing one direction so no face to face patients. You sanitise before going into the doctors room. You dont actually touch ANYTHING apart from the front door which you sanitise after walking through and the chair possibly with your hands. There is no need to not see anyone especially children, covid symptoms or not. Also to add, I am petty sure once I left the waiting room to go into the doctors room, the receptionist sprayed what looked like a Dettol spray where we were sitting, so even then the area which was used gets cleaned immediately. I will assume she did the same thing when I left.

Which is completely unreasonable.

Soldato
Our 3 month old has had 2.5 hours sleep in the past 14 hours…
For the love all that is holy, go the **** to sleep!
If its any constellation our almost 18 month old has never slept longer than 3 hours ever. The grind is real.
You're better men than I. Ours does 7-7 but only since we took intervention with the sleep consultant I got flamed for hiring. I wouldn't have made it this far without it.

Soldato
OP
How's everyone coping with school holidays? This is our first summer holiday after our daughter finished reception so we are reeling a bit with having her home all the time. Annoyingly, one of her classmates tested positive the last Friday of the year so they missed their last days of "graduating" and are stuck self isolating until the 29th. Our babysitter is also isolating so we are winging it until Thursday. Fun times!

Looking forwards to playing "pass the parcel" with round robin playdates with the other parents though once we're allowed again.

Soldato
Its been 3 days for us..... 5 weeks 4 days left and counting. Our 3 year old is real pain in the ass. Defying everything we ask him to do. No to everything. However our eldest with ADHD has been great. Now he has had 3 nights on sleep medication, he goes off after and hour and has 11-12 hours sleep. Downside is he wakes up very very awake lol. We have a 10x6ft pool set up, missed the heatwave but still ok to go in. Got him a snorkel let him have his lego boar in there and hes golden. He has never swam before or even had a lesson, but he for some reason can swim in it. perfectly fine with his snorkel too. That is a relief as we have not had chance to take him swimming for lessons so over the holidays we are going to teach him more technical aspects of swimming over the 6 weeks and hopefully get him in for a lesson or two to see how he actually is doing.

Soldato
How's everyone coping with school holidays? This is our first summer holiday after our daughter finished reception so we are reeling a bit with having her home all the time. Annoyingly, one of her classmates tested positive the last Friday of the year so they missed their last days of "graduating" and are stuck self isolating until the 29th. Our babysitter is also isolating so we are winging it until Thursday. Fun times!

Looking forwards to playing "pass the parcel" with round robin playdates with the other parents though once we're allowed again.

I'm dreading this. Our daughter starts reception in September and I'm not looking forward to the school holidays.

We both get 6 weeks annual leave and with 2 weeks overlapping in summer and 1 at Christmas it covers most of the holidays but means me and my wife with very rarely be off together. I'm not sure how that will work in reality. I think we're going to have to make good use of the summer camps at schools.

I'm also hating having to go on holiday at the same time as everyone else. I've really enjoyed taking our daughter away in early June / mid September, when it's quieter and significantly cheaper.

Soldato
OP
I'm dreading this. Our daughter starts reception in September and I'm not looking forward to the school holidays.

We both get 6 weeks annual leave and with 2 weeks overlapping in summer and 1 at Christmas it covers most of the holidays but means me and my wife with very rarely be off together. I'm not sure how that will work in reality. I think we're going to have to make good use of the summer camps at schools.

I'm also hating having to go on holiday at the same time as everyone else. I've really enjoyed taking our daughter away in early June / mid September, when it's quieter and significantly cheaper.
Yeah that's basically how it is. We did holiday camps but our daughter really didn't enjoy it at Easter so we decided to pay a friend's daughter to babysit while we worked (she gets on great with our kid and is a mean baker so it works and is a tad cheaper than the camp). Not sure how it'll pan out.

As with all things parenting, you just figure it out and some things work well while others are a ballache.

Soldato
OP
Its been 3 days for us..... 5 weeks 4 days left and counting. Our 3 year old is real pain in the ass. Defying everything we ask him to do. No to everything. However our eldest with ADHD has been great. Now he has had 3 nights on sleep medication, he goes off after and hour and has 11-12 hours sleep. Downside is he wakes up very very awake lol. We have a 10x6ft pool set up, missed the heatwave but still ok to go in. Got him a snorkel let him have his lego boar in there and hes golden. He has never swam before or even had a lesson, but he for some reason can swim in it. perfectly fine with his snorkel too. That is a relief as we have not had chance to take him swimming for lessons so over the holidays we are going to teach him more technical aspects of swimming over the 6 weeks and hopefully get him in for a lesson or two to see how he actually is doing.
Props for handling two. I'm not sure how much more I can bounce on the trampoline or play squirt guns before I collapse and it's still early days!

Soldato
Props for handling two. I'm not sure how much more I can bounce on the trampoline or play squirt guns before I collapse and it's still early days!

I have a 1 year old too. He's poorly as well. We have a routine in place at week ends due to our eldest and his condition which will have incorporated into the 6 holidays. At breakfast, they watch a film from the Studio Ghibli line on netflix, then in their rooms to play till lunch. A bit of tv during that then in the pool they go till tea time. Bath/shower then rooms then bed shortly after. Next day its same in the morning then crafts, reading, writing etc We have 1 day each week where we all go out.

Soldato
OP
I have a 1 year old too. He's poorly as well. We have a routine in place at week ends due to our eldest and his condition which will have incorporated into the 6 holidays. At breakfast, they watch a film from the Studio Ghibli line on netflix, then in their rooms to play till lunch. A bit of tv during that then in the pool they go till tea time. Bath/shower then rooms then bed shortly after. Next day its same in the morning then crafts, reading, writing etc We have 1 day each week where we all go out.
My daughter has a Totoro displate in her bedroom, but weirdly that's the only one she likes.

In unrelated news, my 10yr old nephew has just come out as trans and changed their name, so I've had a bizarre crash course in gender and identity fluidity with my 5yr old. She was fairly sanguine about it, and her only concern was "if we get her dresses she better wear them because that would be a waste otherwise".

Associate
How's everyone coping with school holidays?

With great difficulty, with 5 of them and working from home.

The twins are 2 and need a nap half way through the day and the 4 year old needs some attention while mum is putting twins down for a nap, this becomes difficult if I am in a meeting. The older two (10 and 7) are easy and can pretty much look after themselves, although my 10 year old has autism which makes him a little more needy but he is generally fine.

The house is pure mayhem during the holidays as you can imagine with 7 people in the house all day (The wife does try to take them out when she can bless her, but getting all 5 ready to go to just the park down the road is an hour on it's own)

Soldato
With great difficulty, with 5 of them and working from home.

The twins are 2 and need a nap half way through the day and the 4 year old needs some attention while mum is putting twins down for a nap, this becomes difficult if I am in a meeting. The older two (10 and 7) are easy and can pretty much look after themselves, although my 10 year old has autism which makes him a little more needy but he is generally fine.

The house is pure mayhem during the holidays as you can imagine with 7 people in the house all day (The wife does try to take them out when she can bless her, but getting all 5 ready to go to just the park down the road is an hour on it's own)

Damn, thought I had it bad... We are stuck really as we don't drive. If we had a car I would take them out somewhere everyday. Fingers crossed the wife will pass her test in November. Yesterday I contemplated getting the neighbours to look after the kids whilst i pop to a car showroom, buy a cheap run about and drive off, I can drive but no licence. Taking the kids out somewhere for some peace would be worth driving without a license, tax, insurance etc..... /s Thats how desperate I was yesterday. :p

Soldato
My daughter has a Totoro displate in her bedroom, but weirdly that's the only one she likes.

In unrelated news, my 10yr old nephew has just come out as trans and changed their name, so I've had a bizarre crash course in gender and identity fluidity with my 5yr old. She was fairly sanguine about it, and her only concern was "if we get her dresses she better wear them because that would be a waste otherwise".
lol, brilliant. Loves kids attitude to things like this.

Soldato

Do you not have any summer schools near you? Ours and a lot of her friends rotate through two different setups for half of the holidays.
Keeps everyone sane.

Back
Top Bottom