Colleague off sick for five weeks. Has Doctors note. Is currently in Ibiza.

Caporegime
OP
I actually find it sad that you are making such an issue of it
Some asked, I answered. As I said, I’m in two minds about it. It’s none of my business, I have no idea why he’s off sick, but openly flaunting your holiday in Ibiza on social media while we’re here picking up his work on top of our own would rile some people up, hence my question. There are differing opinions here also.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

How angry should I be? Queen wasp through letterbox while adopting boxing stance? He’s swanning about having a grand time while on the sick, without using his holidays while we’re picking up his work on top of ours. I believe my immediate management knows. Some are livid with rage about it, I’m unsure if I should be angry, ambivalent, not bothered etc. Please guide me oh masters of GD!

I had my appendix out, signed off for three weeks. Last week I went on holiday with the wife to a nice log cabin - it really aided my recuperation.

TLDR - you don't know what they are ill with or what they need to do to recover, so mind your own business.

Soldato
How angry should I be? Queen wasp through letterbox while adopting boxing stance? He’s swanning about having a grand time while on the sick, without using his holidays while we’re picking up his work on top of ours. I believe my immediate management knows. Some are livid with rage about it, I’m unsure if I should be angry, ambivalent, not bothered etc. Please guide me oh masters of GD!

Don't get angry leave an anonymous note on the boss's desk about it!

Seriously though it isn't your problem let the superiors deal with it and the other with the consequences of their action. If its all fine and above board there isn't a problem. Right?

Soldato
My GP has put me on two weeks sick for asthma triggered by anxiety and stress at work.

He said to go on walks, do hobbies etc.

I will be driving to places to walk as live a few minutes walk from work. As a couple of colleagues think if people can walk about, they can work.

it’s not like this. Sometimes people are signed off unfit for work as they maybe able to stand for 2 hours a day but not 8 hours and no other work available

Caporegime
But if they are off sick due to stress say, and part of their recouperation is to 'go on holiday' then holiday leave should be used to cover it, not sick pay.

If the guy has genuinely gone on holiday, for what ever reason, whilst on sick and not taken holiday leave then he is in the wrong. The examples given cover this issue

So just because the holiday is part of the recouperation of being sick, it is still classed as holiday and holiday entitlement should be used.

Nope, this is wrong, you've made the same reading comprehension error as another poster. Essentially you've conflated "can" with "should".

Just because an employee *can* elect to take holiday (this doesn't necessitate they actually go away on holiday either, they're simply electing to take some days as paid time off) doesn't mean they're obliged to do so.

Whether it is reasonable for someone to travel overseas or have a staycation etc.. in the UK somewhere when on sick leave depends on the reason why they're off sick - being signed off with stress wouldn't seem to prevent a "holiday". Whereas say claiming to be bedridden with something at home and then spending 3 days at a music festival would clearly be objectionable.

Associate
As someone who is self employed, taking 5 weeks off sick and spending 2 of them in Ibiza seems to be unfathomably indulgent. Nice deal if you can get it, but it seems the OP and his colleagues are the ones paying for it.

Ibiza has quiet parts, but it's known as party island for good reason. Spending time there during peak party season no less. It isn't likely to be that quiet or recuperative - the process of flying there alone would too stressful for many legitimate health issues.

However, there may well be truly legitimate reasons for this - who knows what this person off sick is really going through, Ibiza could be a cherished location they feel safe in, familiarity with a particular hotel, etc. Or they might just be milking a soft system.

Tough position for you and your colleagues to be in, because even with a legit reason, they will likely be some resentment when they return.

Best bet is to give them the benefit of the doubt initially, if they've scammed anyone it will likely come to light sooner or later.

Man of Honour
I mean it does affect the OP to a certain degree as it puts more pressure on them and their team if they are a person down.

So whilst the specific details aren't really of his concern or business , the impact on the work and ambiance and work/life balance is impacted as a result of his colleague's illness, so he has a right to feel a bit vexed / concerned.

Soldato

Stick his house up on air B&B, and rent it while he's away!

Soldato
I mean it does affect the OP to a certain degree as it puts more pressure on them and their team if they are a person down.

So whilst the specific details aren't really of his concern or business , the impact on the work and ambiance and work/life balance is impacted as a result of his colleague's illness, so he has a right to feel a bit vexed / concerned.

Not to mention if enough people take the urine, then any generous sickness policies will get replaced with the absolute basic SSP and then those who are legitimately ill will lose out

Soldato
Nope, this is wrong, you've made the same reading comprehension error as another poster. Essentially you've conflated "can" with "should".

Just because an employee *can* elect to take holiday (this doesn't necessitate they actually go away on holiday either, they're simply electing to take some days as paid time off) doesn't mean they're obliged to do so.

Whether it is reasonable for someone to travel overseas or have a staycation etc.. in the UK somewhere when on sick leave depends on the reason why they're off sick - being signed off with stress wouldn't seem to prevent a "holiday". Whereas say claiming to be bedridden with something at home and then spending 3 days at a music festival would clearly be objectionable.

I disagree, if the employee is genuinely "going on holiday" whether that is for recouperation from the illness or not and whether they are off sick or not, then they have to follow their normal contractual protocols and apply for holiday leave, which will then be deducted from their holiday entitlement.

But that relies on employee honesty of course, the way they can try and get around this is by just not calling it "a holiday" ...... and not posting pictures on social media from ibiza.... :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Not to mention if enough people take the urine, then any generous sickness policies will get replaced with the absolute basic SSP and then those who are legitimately ill will lose out
Like ours lol, one person got a positive covid test last week and now 15 people are off for 10 days on ssp...

Back
Top Bottom