Vertical adjustment of patio door

Associate
Hi all, I need to adjust the door up a little as it catches the bottom. I've taken a picture of one of the hinges below. I know I unscrew the center screw. But then I'm not sure which of the top bolts will adjust the door up? Underneath there is just a pin no screw adjustment. Looked over youtube at various video's but can't find a hinge the same. Any ideas?

oaYlJiu.jpg

Associate
The hex screw nearest the frame will adjust the height, the hex screw nearest the hinge adjusts the distance from the frame. For height adjustment, you do not usually need to remove the center screw. Just do each hinge a little at a time.
If you undo the center screw, you can pop the hinge cover open, and you may have some lateral door adjustment. Alternatively, it will be a hidden hex screw on the end of the hinge
How the door "catches" can determine which method you use.

If the doors are getting on a bit, you may also need to heel and toe the glass.

Associate
OP
Thanks I will give that a try tonight. Doors are only about 1.5 years old so hopefully all good apart from the height adjustment.

Soldato
Could also be the door is drooping because the glass panel isn't heel and toe'd correctly. The packers between the bottom hinge side and the top lock side need to be fairly tight so the glass acts as a diagonal brace. Otherwise the weight can cause the door to droop and catch.

Associate
OP
Good luck. The incredibly warm weather may also not be helping, especially if the sun is on the doors for a good part of the day.

Thanks yes that is exactly it. In cold weather it does catch but only very slightly. Door is south facing so in the hot weather it makes it worse. Presumably door expands slightly in the heat.

Associate
Thanks yes that is exactly it. In cold weather it does catch but only very slightly. Door is south facing so in the hot weather it makes it worse. Presumably door expands slightly in the heat.
Yes, sometimes by more than you would think. Wont need much adjustment to fix. When its really warm, my door rubs on the metal locking parts on the vertical frame. Serves me right for having anthracite coloured doors :D
Only adjust the bare minimum to fix the issue. Go too far, and in cooler weather, you may get a draught as the seal no longer meets the frame correctly. Some doors have more margin for error than others.

Back
Top Bottom