Show me your light switches!

Soldato
Morning All,
Carrying out a chunk of work in the house at the moment and looking to change all the light switches / power sockets to stainless steel / chrome / silver type rather than the standard white.

Buying these online are a nightmare as the stock photos on websites are rubbish and don’t show what it actually looks like in a real world setting.

If anyone has done this recently - it would be great to see some photos of what they look like on your walls

Cheers!

Soldato
the chrome/stainless ones can look very cheap and nasty - white just works.

Dont go cheap.
Completely agreed. Even the expensive sockets and switches don't look that good.
I find the benefit about the white sockets is that because they're so common you just gloss over them and never notice them.

Soldato
Completely agreed. Even the expensive sockets and switches don't look that good.
I find the benefit about the white sockets is that because they're so common you just gloss over them and never notice them.

yep - I have visions now of wilkos ‘chrome effect’ wonky sockets everywhere and loads of those annoyingly stupid platitudes on bits of wood all over the place.
Like, ‘always kiss me goodnight’ above the bed or ‘relax’ in the bathroom.

Associate
We're buying a house and I noticed the light switches will need replacing when we get it (old lady lived there, they were clean but haven't been changed for a while)

One thing I liked while living in the US was the oversized switches, it makes so much more sense when you're feeling around in the dark, moving back home made me realise just how terrible a design UK switches are, especially if it's a single switch there is just so much wasted space on the plate.

These look good - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ligh...zlUjdYWz8bxVRfEE65saAhGtEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Can't go wrong with White MK logic my go to plug, only tend to put fancy ones on kitchen splashbacks.

Associate
damn, i was always led to believe the screws into the back box acted as an earth. i'll have to go check all my switches now!!
You are correct. Light switches do not have to be earthed and it's quite common especially in older houses not to even have an earth present at the switch. Earthed at the backbox will also earth the faceplate as you have correctly said.
They do - I think poster was saying if you have no earth at all(?)

Soldato
For the living room, where you might want a dimmer not sure MK has any trailing edge dimmers of repute versus Varilight,
I'd maybe be looking further at a smart switch/dimmer for that location too, and maybe smart switches for say landing where motion sensor turn on can be useful.

Soldato
Personally i preferred just white switches when we built our house, all ours are MK and have a really nice feel. They just blend into the walls and you don't really notice them whereas i found the metal ones stood out, i also thought that a lot of them looked at a glace like the industrial metal ones i have in the garage and at work.

Kinda the same reason i didn't want a fully tiled bathroom, it reminded me of the labs in work. fully tiled rooms kind of creep me out a bit.

Back
Top Bottom