Cheap To Run Recommendations

Soldato
Any thoughts on this Skoda Octavia? It's quite local to me and seems to fit the bill?

Can you still haggle with these people? If I offer £5k 'cash' for example?

Looks alright in a sort of mind numbingly boring way :p

Just a couple of things - I bet it won't have had it's timing belt done which it'll be coming up for. People always get rid of them before they need to be done. Think this is around £450 for this. Also, check discs and pads as this is another cost which can quickly neutralise the whole financial reason to change cars.

And as an added bonus, that car looks to me like it's had some sort of collision/paint work on the drivers door/front wing/front bumper. I didn't know Stevie Wonder was in the panel craft business

Soldato
DRLs seem great, until one of the LEDs stops working, or starts flickering and you have swap out the whole unit to pass the MOT. Because you can't just swap the bulbs :p

Caporegime
if you look when you next go out you will notice loads of car after 2011 do not have DRLs

Vehicle manufacturers must fit DRL to new types of passenger car and light goods vehicle (car derived vans) type approved to European vehicle requirements from February 2011. In practice this means that any new model launched after this date, and many launched before, will be fitted with DRL. However, existing models on sale before this date without DRL fitted can continue to be sold and used indefinitely.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/daytime-running-lights/daytime-running-lights

Soldato
I didn't read all the replies, but if you are doing mostly motorway, a Hybrid is a waste of money, as they will use the petrol engine most of the time.

The quoted MPG for hybrids is going to be based on mixed driving, e.g. using the electric drive train quite a bit, on long motorway runs you're going to be purely running the petrol engine, so even 55 is going to be pushing it I think

Depends on the weather. I've done 300 miles this weekend up and down the M5 and M6 in an Auris, averaging 64mpg on fat tyres. That was mostly using cruise control and driving like a normal person in normal mode with the climate set to a pleasant 20C. An Uber spec one on diddy wheels or a Prius would see another 5mpg easily.

Winter they take a hit, 52-55mpg is more typical for mine on a long distance run when it's chilly out.

Me, I'd take the Mustang and have some fun. ;)

Soldato
OP
Me, I'd take the Mustang and have some fun. ;)

I get these replies, but I assume they are from people that haven't had a Mustang for 7 years already :) It is fun, it looks and sounds amazing, which is why I don't want to sell it, but practicality when it comes to getting about with the bike, I realise I really need an estate so I can lock it up while I go in to services for a pee and a coffee :)

Looks alright in a sort of mind numbingly boring way :p

I'm fine with this. I'm not looking for excitement. I might even prefer an automatic to make it even slightly duller!

that car looks to me like it's had some sort of collision/paint work on the drivers door/front wing/front bumper.

I think I see what you mean. It's almost the entire front half of the car, which makes me wonder if it's just a trick of the light? I'll go and see it anyway, if nothing else I'll test drive it and will see how an Octavia drives, get an idea of the boot size and how comfortable it is.

Also, check discs and pads

This is the sort of stuff that would concern me as not being a car person, I would have no idea what I'm looking at. Do the AA do some kind of 'check a car for you' service?

Man of Honour
Touring in a friggin V8 Mustang :p
This was my immediate thought, presumably if you are looking to relax and go on a grand tour then you want a car to drive for pleasure rather than something for drearing up and down the motorway to work.

That said - I've no idea what it's like lugging a bike around in a Mustang. An Octavia Estate might be a more practical option if you are going to be away from home for a while.

Soldato
OP
presumably if you are looking to relax and go on a grand tour then you want a car to drive for pleasure rather than something for drearing up and down the motorway

No, I want something for drearing up and down a motorway. I want it in a purely practical and cheap manner, to get me to somewhere I can cycle and or/see someone. I want it purely as a mode of transport. The enjoyment comes when I reach the destination, not in getting there :)

Back
Top Bottom