Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 29.0%

• Total voters
Associate
I've fully bought into the rumours and decided to hold off buying a new Macbook until at least the autumn passes. Rumours of the Pro possibly getting the M1X whilst the Air will get the M2 chip makes me want to hold off even longer to get the new Air.

Soldato
Rumours of the Pro possibly getting the M1X whilst the Air will get the M2 chip makes me want to hold off even longer to get the new Air.

Everything is rumour and conjecture, but if Apple are consistent, the M1X might be the M1 with extra cores (in the same way the iPad Pros get the current gen iPhone SoC with some extra cores and are named e.g. A12Z). Then, the M2 might be a yearly iteration of the M1 in the same way that iPhone SoCs are iterated every year.

In other words, the M1X (“pro” SoC) might be faster than the M2.

Soldato
I've fully bought into the rumours and decided to hold off buying a new Macbook until at least the autumn passes. Rumours of the Pro possibly getting the M1X whilst the Air will get the M2 chip makes me want to hold off even longer to get the new Air.
The M1X or whatever it is in the Pro will be more powerful than the chip in the next air iteration (Surely!?!)
I too am waiting to see what happens in the next few months.

Associate
Im up to 22 charge cycles on my MBA and the battery health has dropped to 98%. I use it on battery all the time, rarely charge fully to 100% (normally I just let it go to 80% and then when it automatically pauses, I use it from there rather than getting it to 100) and I normally charge when it gets to c.20%. How does this compare with what you guys/gals are seeing?

Man of Honour
I don't even think about how I use it, I plug it in now and then to backup or when I'm at my desk, then use it around the house for what feels like a week before needing to plug it in. I'm currently at 28% and it's showing over 4 hours remaining.

Soldato
Same as Chris really - if I'm at my desk it's plugged in as I have a USB-C Monitor so that provides connectivity as well as power.

Otherwise it's generally being used on the balcony, on the sofa or out and about on battery.

Associate
Thanks for the replies so far.

I've been the same - using it as I go and not worrying about it. I use it nearly exclusively on the battery and I just wondered if that it likely to take more of a toll on the battery and lessen it's life span than if I was to spend some time using it whilst plugged in.

I've only had it since the end of March so to drop 2% in nearly 4 months seems like quite a bit. Apple say that if the batteries max capacity drops to 80%, that's when the battery needs replacing and it'll start to affect how you can use the computer. At this rate, I'll be at 80% max capacity in under 4 years and at less than 300 charge cycles. Seems quick to me!

Commissario
OP
My MB dropped to 91% relatively quickly and sat there on 91% for the best part of two years. I didn't notice any difference in performance from when it was brand new until the day I sold it.

Associate
My MB dropped to 91% relatively quickly and sat there on 91% for the best part of two years. I didn't notice any difference in performance from when it was brand new until the day I sold it.

Thanks Feek, that’s reassuring. It won’t affect the way I use it, I was just keen to see if anyone else had seen similar patterns.

Soldato
Im up to 22 charge cycles on my MBA and the battery health has dropped to 98%. I use it on battery all the time, rarely charge fully to 100% (normally I just let it go to 80% and then when it automatically pauses, I use it from there rather than getting it to 100) and I normally charge when it gets to c.20%. How does this compare with what you guys/gals are seeing?

Mine is on 24 cycles and battery shows 100% I plug it in at night and use it on battery when needed.

Commissario
OP

I don't use my M1 MBA on the battery very often and I noticed yesterday that it wasn't charging above 85% (according to Coconut battery). This morning I looked a bit further as I thought this might be down to the optimised charging.

Yes.. It's exactly that.

TRu87S7.png

I like the fact that it says 'Rarely used on battery'. It's not wrong!

I'm going to give it a few full discharge/charge cycles, just for the hell of it.

Associate
See mine is always on battery so I assume as the battery is being used more, it’ll wear quicker than a unit that is used with a power supply. Coincidentally, my battery health has dropped to 97% now after 24 charge cycles. I’m going to keep an eye on it and see what happens but I’ll admit I’m a bit worried that it’s dropping at this rate.

Soldato
I have been using my MBP16 plugged in for the majority of time. So much so that I have owned it for 15 months and only used 30 something cycles (don’t have it handy to check exact number). Overall battery health still 100 for me.

Commissario
OP
but I’ll admit I’m a bit worried that it’s dropping at this rate.
I can only refer you to the reply I gave some days ago... I think you'll be fine but of course, keep a watch on it.

Soldato
Battery degradation isn’t linear and batteries are not all created equally. It’s a chemical reaction that can be impacted by a huge range of factors.

I wouldn’t worry about it and even if you did, Apple isn’t going to do anything about it.

Back
Top Bottom