• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Possible gpu failure

Permabanned
I put a water block on it about 6 months ago. My cpu is a 5950X no intergrated graphics.

What motherboard do you use?
As you can check the user manual to see what the diagnosis LEDs say i.e. to see if the RAM or CPU are working properly, as if they are shot, then your system would not boot as well.

Some motherboards have diagnosis leds that change colour to point out which component is causing the non boot of your computer.

Associate
OP
What motherboard do you use?
As you can check the user manual to see what the diagnosis LEDs say i.e. to see if the RAM or CPU are working properly, as if they are shot, then your system would not boot as well.

Some motherboards have diagnosis leds that change colour to point out which component is causing the non boot of your computer.
It won’t post when the powers connected to the gpu. It’s just dead. It only posts when the power to the gpubis disconnected and then it just comes up with a gpu error code.

Soldato
I could borrow one how do I test?

If you don't know how to test with a multimeter then don't because you will cause more damage and the equipment needs to be powered up to test in most cases, if it doesn't show a clear sign of a short.

Also I would send the GPU back to the retailer for testing first and if it needs to be rma-ed then they can do it as it will cost you to send it and insure it. Make sure to put back the original cooler as it was. If you have removed any warranty stickers then you might have cause yourself a very expensive mistake by adding a water cooler.

Associate
OP
If you don't know how to test with a multimeter then don't because you will cause more damage and the equipment needs to be powered up to test in most cases, if it doesn't show a clear sign of a short.

Also I would send the GPU back to the retailer for testing first and if it needs to be rma-ed then they can do it as it will cost you to send it and insure it. Make sure to put back the original cooler as it was. If you have removed any warranty stickers then you might have cause yourself a very expensive mistake by adding a water cooler.

ok I will do that. There’s a screwdriver hole through the warranty sticker so I’m probably going to be unlucky.

Associate
I could borrow one how do I test?
if u can get a multimeter, set it to a resistance mode, Black probe on any metal part of a gpu, HDMI ports a good ground. Red probe on 8 pin conectorts. u can test all of them.

8 pin conectors have + and ground pins.

If u touch ground to ground multimeter will show u 0 resistance.
If u touch + pin to ground multimeter will show u resistance accordingly.

If u touch + pin and there is a short circuit multimeter will show low resistance 0.5 or something close to this number, means gpu have issues. all this takes less than a minute to test.

Associate

dude stop spreading misinformation. No need to power the card. resistance measuring done with power off.

Associate
ok I will do that. There’s a screwdriver hole through the warranty sticker so I’m probably going to be unlucky.
Remove that sticker and clean the glue with rubbing alcohol. that sticker has no legal standing and they can't refuse you warranty.

And do not tell them u had it dismantaled. Tell them as little as posible. just few words. Like card not working. that's it.

Soldato
dude stop spreading misinformation. No need to power the card. resistance measuring done with power off.

I know how to use a multimeter thank you, resistance testing doesn't mean anything, you are basically looking for a short and that means nothing in the end if you don't know what the components you are testing do, example a diode. I don't spread misinformation thank you. You guys expect people to be electrical engineers ... I know how to test to board level and understand what the components do and what to test for. There is also a point when you need to test the rail voltages, with power on too if you don't find an obvious short or a rail thats failed or giving the wrong voltages (which means you need to know the correct voltages first that you are testing for!). People like you that spread rubbish information that you forget can also cause more harm to the card if not done right. Not worth the risks for a user that doesn't understand what they are testing for. He clearly has made that clear.

Now coming back to resistance testing, you think resistance testing an IC without knowing the specs of it and what the pins should output is correct ? Even a faulty IC can give you a resistance on pins tested that are faulty doesn't mean it's working correctly. It is a solid state device you can't see in and not a component that is a single simple component to test, like a capacitor, diode, inductor, resistor, transistor, fuse etc that can easily be tested and seen as a single component, an IC has millions of components inside it and if it doesn't show a clear sign of damage you can't tell if it's working without knowing what the pins do and what to test for and the output you expect, some cases you need an oscilloscope or a full suit of electronic test equipment for the digital and analogue parts of the circuit, multimeter is not enough for these types of tests and on ICs you are guessing unless there is one blown to bits or looks damaged and then you have to have equipment to replace them and the correct components to replace them with, so you think someone that is going to borrow a multimeter has a soldering station and all the equipment to remove surface mount components and stick them back on correctly ?

Are you going to help him test the board and with pictures where to test or are you just typing rubbish and not willing to help further than saying use a multimeter ? A multimeter is a tool you need to understand how to use and then understand what you are testing for.

Some of the C**P on here recently sounds like its coming from people watching youtube and then an expert .. Give it a rest the guy is wanting to fix his card not cause more obvious damage.

Last edited:
Soldato

Clean the sticker off and if they ask say that's how the card came to you. Use some isopropyl alcohol to get rid of any glue and make sure not to damage the screws or put marks on them with the driver , use a tissue over the screw then use the driver to not scratch up the screws. Good luck with the RMA and the testing by the retailer.

Soldato
if u can get a multimeter, set it to a resistance mode, Black probe on any metal part of a gpu, HDMI ports a good ground. Red probe on 8 pin conectorts. u can test all of them.

8 pin conectors have + and ground pins.

If u touch ground to ground multimeter will show u 0 resistance.
If u touch + pin to ground multimeter will show u resistance accordingly.

If u touch + pin and there is a short circuit multimeter will show low resistance 0.5 or something close to this number, means gpu have issues. all this takes less than a minute to test.

Have you ever heard of continuity testing mode with a multimeter ? Most have it and a simple beep will sound on most meters.

Also what you said above, lets break it down.

8 pin conectors have + and ground pins. < what are the pins for 12v and ground on the pcie power ? You never mentioned it also colour of cables normally are what for ground and 12v ? If the PSU cables have colours to allow you to work that out as the gpu connector is soldered to the card so no colours so which pins ?... See the problem you are not giving enough information to help correctly so the tests are useless. Whos spreading misinformation now ?

If you want to help someone that doesn't know the basics in electronics and how to use the tools correctly you better start doing a video or lots of pictures showing the pins to test and where to test.. not random rubbish that is no help. You may know the pins or how to test for the pins that are live or ground, but what you said above is zero help to someone that doesn't know what the pins are and the rails to test, there is three power 8pins on that card and the slot power.. So did you mention to test each pin and power rail ? There are 4 rails to test coming to power the card. This is what i'm saying is useless information pretending to be help.

Check my help posts .. I do not allow guessing and only help once I know the issue and can help with the issue.. You have no idea what the issue is, it can still be the PSU, but as he has nothing spare to test with the gpu or psu will need to go back to people that can test it correctly.

Last edited:
Associate
LPjRWBN

U can use continuity mode or u can use resistance mode. Probe Yellow pins, and look at the readings.
https://ibb.co/rfr6QPB
https://imgur.com/LPjRWBN

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for your help. I think I will drain down and send it back. I wanted an active backplate anyway. Thanks again everyone. Hopefully I have some luck on returning and if not it’s my fault I guess.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
fingers crossed but be prepared to some fun & games, Asus can be grade-A a***holes when it comes to RMAs. Motherboard not powering up? sorry there's a little bit of broken plastic on the audio header, warranty void! :mad:

Graphics card dead? sorry the backplate is scratched! warranty void! :mad:

Soldato
fingers crossed but be prepared to some fun & games, Asus can be grade-A a***holes when it comes to RMAs. Motherboard not powering up? sorry there's a little bit of broken plastic on the audio header, warranty void! :mad:

I dont like Asus stuff anyway, had 2 separate motherboards and a laptop all faulty not long affter warranty. A lot of people I talk to don't like thier stuff either.

I haven't bought as Asus anything for many years, this just reinforces that.

Associate

Is that seriously how Asus does it? I never had any issues with Asus stuff but that doesn't sound good. I literally got a 6800XT TUF not long ago, this got me worried lol

Soldato
Thanks everyone for your help. I think I will drain down and send it back. I wanted an active backplate anyway. Thanks again everyone. Hopefully I have some luck on returning and if not it’s my fault I guess.

When you get the original cooler back on, make sure to try the ASUS STRIX 3090 in another PCIE slot on the motherboard too, just to rule out the motherboard PCIE slot has no damage too. If still same just RMA the card mate. Sadly not much else you can do.

Make sure to read this too :-

[Graphic Card] Customer Induced Damage (CID) criteria
Last Update : 2021/01/26 16:34

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045224/

When you return the card make sure to take lots of photos of it for yourself, like while you take off the water cooling get some photos of the board back and front and and make sure they are clear photos in case they cause damage in RMA and blame you for it, so while apart get some photos and when put back together get some photos of it. Just to cover yourself if they do something to it and blame you for it.

Last edited:
Soldato

Yes they can be a pain so I hear, but never had an issue with RMAs with them over the years, I normally make sure to take photos of everything before RMA just in case they create the damage while testing the item and then play it was my damage.

They explain here the issues that can cause you to not get an RMA or refused RMA and voided warranty.

[Graphic Card] Customer Induced Damage (CID) criteria
Last Update : 2021/01/26 16:34

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045224/

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Is that seriously how Asus does it? I never had any issues with Asus stuff but that doesn't sound good. I literally got a 6800XT TUF not long ago, this got me worried lol
A lot of brands are like this but we've had to argue the toss a few times with Asus about minor damage which has absolutely no chance of being related to the fault for which we returned the product.

What I'm basically saying is be prepared to push back

Associate
A lot of brands are like this but we've had to argue the toss a few times with Asus about minor damage which has absolutely no chance of being related to the fault for which we returned the product.

What I'm basically saying is be prepared to push back
Yeah I understand where you are coming from. I just didnt know Asus was like that. I had heard people saying that Asus did not have great Customer Service but that sounds dumb.

What company would you say has the best balance between quality and cuatomer service? I thought it was EVGA, but here we are, fans trying to reach Mach 2.5 lol

Associate
OP
Actually I never thought of trying a different pcie express slot. The card is on a riser cable so I will try another slot when I get back. Maybe I should contact Asus technical see what they say. It is there motherboard and gpu so may know what could be causing it.

Back
Top Bottom