Seat Leon estate (I bought an Octavia VRS 230)

Soldato
Cause if you were to declare all those mods, what's it's going to cost to insure? That's why I'd steer clear of a modded car.

Yeah but why would anyone expect someone advertising their car, modded or not, to tell you what their insurance premium is? I've never seen anyone advertise a car like that.

It's obviously going to be high (and that post wasn't a particularly serious suggestion :p) but knowing what someone else pays to insure it is pretty much completely irrelevant.

Associate
Might put off someone who wants to insure a standard car yeah, anyone who is looking for/has insured a modded car would likely not be put off.
Plus, he might be paying £1k because reasons but someone else will insure it for £400.
Bit of a weird take.

Soldato
OP
Ok, not too soon then. Might have been a bit of a bargaining point, easy job to do yourself, or just get a garage to do it?

Any particular nothings to look at, going to have a look tomorrow.

Associate
Ok, not too soon then. Might have been a bit of a bargaining point, easy job to do yourself, or just get a garage to do it?

Any particular nothings to look at, going to have a look tomorrow.

Something like that i'd probably opt for a garage, same as regular oil. Depending on the age obv

Soldato
OP
I'd never pay a garage to change engine oil, happy to do jobs like that myself, it's only when specific tooling is needed, I might get a garage to do something.

Soldato
@Kenai what's the service interval for the DSG? This car is @30k miles.
A facelift 230 will still have the DQ250 6sp which is a 40k interval.

Something to check on hatchbacks, look in detail around where the spoiler attaches. Some weren't sealed well around the mounting holes and they can rust, you can see the paint bubbling up just around the spoiler mounts.

Those wheels have been refurbed, some prefer no diamond cut, just something to be aware of.

Associate
I'd never pay a garage to change engine oil, happy to do jobs like that myself, it's only when specific tooling is needed, I might get a garage to do something.

I'm all good with doing most jobs but if it's newer then retaining a good service history (if resale, etc is any concern) is more important in my opinion.

Soldato
OP
Thanks Kenai, will keep an eye out for that.

Temujin, looking to keep this for a long time, so not too fussed. I keep all receipts and millage and I find myself more trust worthy than a garage, lol.

Soldato
OP
Just checked MOT history, just been done in July, failed as passenger door couldn't be opened from the outside, then retested and ok.
Ideas on what that could have been?

Soldato
OP
When to look at that one, all seems pretty decent all over.
Tiny dent on passenger door and some scuffs on one bit of the front bumper at the bottom. Few stone chips, but it won't be perfect.
Garage had the wheels refurbed as prev owner curved them a bit.
P zeros on the back, but some junk cheap stuff on the front. Loads of thread l, but might change in due course.
Nothing around the rear spoiler as you said to look out for.
Electric mirrors are a bit graunchy, prob a lube up will fix that.
Other than that, all seems fine.

Soldato
Get a decent set of tyres on it sooner rather than later, it'll make the world of difference to it's ability to put power down without thudding you down the road with wheel hop. You'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner if you leave it a while :p

Soldato
OP
Yeah, when I bought an 2.0tsfi A4, it had Chinese mix all around.
I put on some assy 2s, I think, so long ago.
I turned into a roundabout I normally give it a bit round and it actually turned in, I almost hit the inside curb lol. Grip level was night and day.

Soldato
OP
Picked it up today! Took a bit of time to get all the service history from previous owner and I don't like waiting lol, but all done.
Dash cam to start fitting tomorrow and going to pull all the wheels off, clean the calipers and seal and seal the wheels as just refurbed.

Tyre choice, my brother said why aren't your tyres 235, looking online I'm sure they should be 225. But blackcircles says 235 if I put my reg in.....so 225 or 235....currently have 225 all round

Associate
Picked it up today! Took a bit of time to get all the service history from previous owner and I don't like waiting lol, but all done.
Dash cam to start fitting tomorrow and going to pull all the wheels off, clean the calipers and seal and seal the wheels as just refurbed.

Tyre choice, my brother said why aren't your tyres 235, looking online I'm sure they should be 225. But blackcircles says 235 if I put my reg in.....so 225 or 235....currently have 225 all round

What wheels does it have? 18" Geminis or 19" Xtremes? Regardless I think both have 225 width. My 18" Geminis have 225/40/18, the Xtremes are 225/35/19 as standard. Tyres are dirt cheap for the 18s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom