Audi s8 brake pad warning light

Associate
Had some new discs and pads fitted to the front on an Audi s8, the brake pad warning light on the dash won’t go out , but the pads are fine.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Soldato
The new pads either don't have the sensor wires, the sensor wires haven't been connected or the sensor wires are damaged, those are the mostly likely reasons.

(I don't think they'll have pad sensors on the rear but if they do, maybe it was those that triggered the light)

Soldato
Try clearing errors with an OBD2 reader and torque, see if it comes back.

Most aftermarket pads won't have a sensor though. If that's what was used.

Last edited:
Associate
On my BMW once the sensor trips it has to be replaced and then resetting isn’t straight forward, the garage, non BMW couldn’t do it and I had to google to find out how.
Carly for BMW app can reset the brake pad setting, i'm sure Carly do a VAG app as well.

Soldato
Modern cars........

Out of interest would you fail an MOT for that light being on?

A sensor to tell you if your brakes are worn is rediculous and completely unnecessary, just ******* look at them every now and then.

Just like most other completely useless ****, erm I mean "technology" they put on cars that then goes wrong even though there is nothing wrong.

Associate
Modern cars........

A sensor to tell you if your brakes are worn is rediculous and completely unnecessary, just ******* look at them every now and then.

Just like most other completely useless ****, erm I mean "technology" they put on cars that then goes wrong even though there is nothing wrong.
Yes, i had new shocks fitted to a car, unknown to me the brake wears ensor cable had been snagged and cut on 1 corner.
I reset my brake service distance in the dashboard as it showed as a service was coming up for time duration but the pads were fine, my mot was in 2 days and now i had a warning light.
I took it for the mot and it failed
Brake pad wear sensor illuminated comes under category 1.1.12(a)(i)- came under Major.

Back i took it for a new cable/sensor to be fitted and hey presto, mot passed upon returning.

edit: from the gov website

1.1.13 Brake linings and pads
Information will be added to clarify how to identify when a brake pad needs to be replaced.

New or changed defects
Defect Category
a (i). Brake lining or pad worn down to wear indicator Major

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...anges-from-13-september-2018#section-1-brakes

Soldato
Modern cars........

Yes

That is a stupid thing to say. Without a moderate understanding of cars even if you did measure them you'd have to "convert" it to time/mileage.

:confused:

Associate
Had the same problem,light came on so replaced the front pads and connected up the new sensor.
Light stayed on in the dash.Turned out it was the rear pads that needed changed ...doh :cry:

Soldato
If it's like any BMW from 2000 onwards (probably before), it's a staged resistor, one per axle. First stage triggered gives indicative mileage in iDrive. 2nd stage triggered, brake pad warning light. Replacing the sensor at the same time as the pads is required, then clear the fault with any of the million OBDII devices. I had/have BMTechnic cables and software, but I think he died and basically the software was never kept up to date. I also have VCDS, Carista and OBDEleven, all of which are useful for resetting these sorts of things, provided the work has been carried out to replace the pads and sensor.

Soldato
Modern cars........

Sensors for everything now. Sometimes with the sensors costing more than the part they are sensoring. But the sensors can also fail and either make false errors or just not tell you something is wrong :/

Brakes already have a much more reliable, built in warning when they are low. They have a physical wear indicator on them which makes them sqeal badly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom