• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Possible gpu failure

Soldato
Actually I never thought of trying a different pcie express slot. The card is on a riser cable so I will try another slot when I get back. Maybe I should contact Asus technical see what they say. It is there motherboard and gpu so may know what could be causing it.

Try it first in another slot with the riser, just to save you removing the waterblock. BUT you want to rule out the riser too, so if you can connect it to the motherboard direct to the PCIE slots as a test too and another PCIE slot if you can and the water lines allow it. If still nothing remove the waterblock and stick the air cooler back on and repeat the test by trying it in the PCIE slot you had it in and then another slot , without the riser for these tests. Also I would click BIOS clear on the motherboard as a test too to rule out a BIOS that has corrupted and maybe causing the system to not start up and sending a fault to the psu and shutting the power off.

Just things to try to rule all the things out. If you can get another graphics card to test with, it would be great too, that way it will rule out the PSU and motherboard.

Associate
OP
I’ve literally just sold a riser cable as well. I’m using one of those link up 4.0 riser cables now. I can’t get the gpu in a slot with the air cooler on as it hits the reservoir. Maybe I can see if I can borrow a different riser cable from someone.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Actually I never thought of trying a different pcie express slot. The card is on a riser cable so I will try another slot when I get back. Maybe I should contact Asus technical see what they say. It is there motherboard and gpu so may know what could be causing it.
when fault finding you should remove anything not necessary, so get rid of the riser any way you can. Also, since you have a Revolt 1200W you should be able to use different PCIE connectors on the PSU AND different PCI-E cables too

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
What company would you say has the best balance between quality and cuatomer service?
That's a really difficult and open ended question. General rule with components is if you want good customer service you need to buy from a reputable reseller. Gigabyte have a good balance, thanks to a UK based RMA centre and most of the time Asus are great but you'll always find "horror" stories because dealing with returns is a difficult job. The end user isn't always honest when they tell their side of the story ;)

EVGA, in my opinion, are let down by quality issues. Their service seems solid. Some brands though *cough*XFX*cough* I've had enough negative experiences with that I wouldn't touch a product of theirs with YOUR bargepole!

Associate
That's a really difficult and open ended question. General rule with components is if you want good customer service you need to buy from a reputable reseller. Gigabyte have a good balance, thanks to a UK based RMA centre and most of the time Asus are great but you'll always find "horror" stories because dealing with returns is a difficult job. The end user isn't always honest when they tell their side of the story ;)

EVGA, in my opinion, are let down by quality issues. Their service seems solid. Some brands though *cough*XFX*cough* I've had enough negative experiences with that I wouldn't touch a product of theirs with YOUR bargepole!
Noted, thanks for the info.

Soldato
[Graphic Card] Customer Induced Damage (CID) criteria
Last Update : 2021/01/26 16:34

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045224/

Wow some of the reasons are ridiculous on that FAQ. I added a comment to their feedback at the bottom, stated thanks for the FAQ and will never buy an ASUS product again, jesus even a scratch that doesn't cause an issue can get the item rejected or a sticker with serial number that has some damage to it. No thanks ASUS if that's how you do things now.

Soldato
I know how to use a multimeter thank you, resistance testing doesn't mean anything, you are basically looking for a short and that means nothing in the end if you don't know what the components you are testing do, example a diode.
There's no need to know complete circuitry.
(it's buck/step-down converter anyway)
Input of "healthy" VRM won't show zero/insignificant resistance against ground.

So if all pins of power connector show zero/ner zero resistance against ground, VRM is pretty certainly burnt.

There are 4 rails to test coming to power the card.
PCIe cards get only 3.3V and 12V.

Permabanned
fingers crossed but be prepared to some fun & games, Asus can be grade-A a***holes when it comes to RMAs. Motherboard not powering up? sorry there's a little bit of broken plastic on the audio header, warranty void! :mad:

Graphics card dead? sorry the backplate is scratched! warranty void! :mad:

I agree, that sounds like horror stories from Asus:eek:

However, if the OP has breached the Warranty by opening up the card and eventually, frying it or causing water damage then the AIB have a valid case to void the warranty, if that is actually what fried the card in the first place. My sincere sympathy to him with this situation.

Permabanned

Wow some of the reasons are ridiculous on that FAQ. I added a comment to their feedback at the bottom, stated thanks for the FAQ and will never buy an ASUS product again, jesus even a scratch that doesn't cause an issue can get the item rejected or a sticker with serial number that has some damage to it. No thanks ASUS if that's how you do things now.

Can't blame ASUS when you see the scams people try to pull with cards they have damaged. Even here you can see recomendations to cover up the fact it was water cooled.

Associate
I just going to add, 12v pins on 8 pin connectors will if Functioning properly will have resistance in mega Ohms, and if short then resistance will be low and in continuity mode u would have a beep.

So in reality it doesn't matter what mode u using, what matters is understanding what u seeing. let just end this argument as it serves no purpose.

Let us focus on helping with RMA.

Personally, i never had to RMA a product, but i know one thing, The less u say the better it is.

Associate

Thanks for posting that, I've heard before their RMA service was worthless....the one that jumped out at me was the burned PCB - so they design a shoddy product, it almost catches fire: "sorry bud, warranty void" PMSL.

I've had asus products in the past, but from now on will only consider them if second hand and already out of warranty (and cheap!)

@ScottiB - Do you know if Giga are still UK based, thought I read somewhere they'd dropped that since brexit? I know @GIGA-Man appears to have moved on, or at least gone quiet on here so that would put me off! I'd still give EVGA a shot even if I have to pay postage to EU, as they at least allow cooler removal, but alas I want an AMD card so not an option

Associate
I just went thro ASUS CID Customer Induced Damage

The most worrying part is Burned pcb.
Some gpus goes up in smoke and components can literally weld themselfs. How is that ?
PCB board was burned that caused by user, this is borderline illegal.

ASUS no thanks.

Soldato
Thanks for posting that, I've heard before their RMA service was worthless....the one that jumped out at me was the burned PCB - so they design a shoddy product, it almost catches fire: "sorry bud, warranty void" PMSL.

I've had asus products in the past, but from now on will only consider them if second hand and already out of warranty (and cheap!)

@ScottiB - Do you know if Giga are still UK based, thought I read somewhere they'd dropped that since brexit? I know @GIGA-Man appears to have moved on, or at least gone quiet on here so that would put me off! I'd still give EVGA a shot even if I have to pay postage to EU, as they at least allow cooler removal, but alas I want an AMD card so not an option

Basically shocking what they class as CID and some things don't even cause damage maybe cosmetic only and who cares when you want your item working again but they will of course refuse it because paint peeled off .. seriously one of the reasons below their bad paint job peels off means no warranty.:rolleyes: Never buying ASUS again after reading all that and same with Lenovo they are copying ASUS CID pages too. Just a heads up for all, so you understand what you are buying and how they will treat you if it fails (basically you need to take a lot of pictures before RMA, or they will cause damage and blame the customer), read the last part that is on reddit, a customer that had an issue.

This is for :-

Motherboard Customer Induced Damage

https://www.asus.com/support/article/568/

[LCD Monitors] Customer Induced Damage (CID) criteria

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045053/

[Notebook] Customer Induced Damage (CID) criteria

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044955/

Customer Induced Damage

https://www.asus.com/uk/support/article/568/

Lenovo seem to be copying ASUS too...even same images they are using and reasons.

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/so...induced-damage-cid-guide-laptops-and-desktops

This is worth reading at reddit :-

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/i7c6hm/rma_support_guide_support/

RMA Support Guide [Support]

This guide is here to help you go through the RMA process and win any unfair disputes.

If you're reading this there's a high chance ASUS is giving you some trouble about your RMA.

• Firstly, I want to get some basic stuff out of the way.
Before you ship out items for RMA, make sure you take pictures of the item that show every nook and cranny are undamaged before you send it out. If you didn't, you might not have a strong case. If you shipped it out using ASUS's label, FedEx will not allow you to make a claim. ASUS is the one who has to go through the process, and they likely won't. If you shipped it out via your own means, then you should be able to make a claim with that company if your product was damaged.

• Secondly, talking with customer support.
If your item was under warranty before sending it and it was damaged during the shipping and handling process to ASUS and they claim it has CID (Customer-Induced Damage) that voids the warranty, you will likely have to escalate the issue. If it is truly not your fault, dispute the CID via the form they sent and email customer support with your evidence that you have of shipping it out undamaged (pictures, etc). If they get back to you and don't accept the dispute, you will have to escalate it.

• Thirdly, escalating it.
Reach out via their CEO email found here: https://www.asus.com/us/support/article/787 . Explain it in detail and a nice man by the name of Ryan should help you.

I did this after 2 weeks of ASUS wanting me to pay retail to repair my damaged motherboard. Within 4 days of contacting him I received a brand new motherboard for free.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just an update. It was a failure on the gpu. A replacement has been sent out and should be with me today. Not bad at all. It only got collected Monday. Thanks everyone for your input. It was really appreciated.

Associate
Can't blame ASUS when you see the scams people try to pull with cards they have damaged. Even here you can see recomendations to cover up the fact it was water cooled.
What doesn't help is all the youtubers and reviewers recommending their products and even falsifying the RMA process because they have contacts at ASUS. It's ****** me off for a while seeing jayztwocents get broken stuff from them and just send it back and it gets sorted in a matter of days. That's not because he goes through the RMA process (which non of them ever tell you has a god awful reputation) it's because they have a guy who gets them all their free or review products and they get it sorted by them not having to go through all the **** the regular customers have to.

Did OCUK ever announce the ending of their RMA deal with ASUS that made a lot of people buy ASUS products?

Back
Top Bottom