*** Marvel Studios' Black Widow ***

Soldato
Whilst I can see her point regarding the Disney+ release being a breach of contract which will have "harmed her financially", I also couldn't care less about a multi-millionaire mouth-piece crying about losing out on collecting even more money from the few fans left who she hasn't claimed were misogynists etc.

The often used (to the point of boredom) phrase of "Get Woke, Go Broke" has been the single most reliable piece of advice I've seen companies continually ignore as their profits tumble and their stock-holders grumble yet I can't think of many instances, other than new charities being setup in the aftermath of an event (BLM etc) where it's been wrong.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Shes claiming a loss of $50m dollars. Thats a crazy amount if true. She royally pulled the pants down on Disney if thats true. Amazed they agreed to a profit share like that.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Well everyone said that about Captain Marvel and it made over a billion dollars.

I mean, any marvel film is going to make bank and that was released at the perfect time. I wonder how a second film would do. The last 3 Star Wars mainline films were crap but they still grossed billions. People are predictable beasts and will always flock to see big IP.

Permabanned
I mean, any marvel film is going to make bank and that was released at the perfect time. I wonder how a second film would do. The last 3 Star Wars mainline films were crap but they still grossed billions. People are predictable beasts and will always flock to see big IP.

Last 3 starwars films were still all a league above Blackwidow and at least half the marvel films.:cry:

Soldato
You have to be joking. 8 + 9 were car crashes I almost certainly will never watch the sequel trilogy again it was that poor. A beautifully made turd.

Captain Marvel was mildly better than those SW 8+9 but I can't see myself watching it again unless I need to brush up on plot points for future Marvel movies. But it was shoe horned in before Endgame and Endgame was re-written to include teh character to guarantee the big box office. It only had to be competent to make mega bucks.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Last 3 starwars films were still all a league above Blackwidow and at least half the marvel films.:cry:

Well now I just can't take you seriously!

I don't think CM is deserving of the relentless hate it gets, it's not one of the best MCU movies but it was certainly entertaining enough.

Its a pretty poor movie with a lead actress who has all the charisma of a potato. I would give it a 5/10. The Wonderwoman 1984 is a far worse film in every way to be fair to it. Gal Gadot is far more likeable than Brie Larson though so that helps.

Soldato
Its a pretty poor movie with a lead actress who has all the charisma of a potato. I would give it a 5/10. The Wonderwoman 1984 is a far worse film in every way to be fair to it. Gal Gadot is far more likeable than Brie Larson though so that helps.

Can't argue with the Brie Larson analogy :D

However there was enough of a decent supporting cast that it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the overall movie. Samuel L Jackson, Ben Mendhelson, Lee Pace, Jude Law to name a couple.

I'd certainly watch it again over the likes of Ant Man 2, Black Panther...even Dr Strange, although I have an love/hate relationship with the Dr Strange movie, I think he's a great supporting character in Avengers but I don't like his actual standalone movie.

Associate
From what I read, it’s not all about her personal lose, the profit share system is not changing with these new distribution models so, for smaller actors that’ll make a bigger difference than it would to sj. They can’t make a headline challenging it like she can.

Soldato
Shes claiming a loss of $50m dollars. Thats a crazy amount if true. She royally pulled the pants down on Disney if thats true. Amazed they agreed to a profit share like that.
It's not a lot if the movie made for example $1bn. She is an executive producer as well.

From what I read, it’s not all about her personal lose, the profit share system is not changing with these new distribution models so, for smaller actors that’ll make a bigger difference than it would to sj. They can’t make a headline challenging it like she can.
Yeah. a lot of smaller movies will get made with actors on a profit share deal. If someone essentially waives their upfront fee for a profit share deal, then the studio decides to release streaming-only then they have an easy way to screw said talent out of their potential earnings (assuming there is no contract wording in place for streaming, as there currently doesn't seem to be).

SJ isn't stupid. She knows how bad this looks on her, so I'm playing devil's advocate and thinking she probably really is doing it to make sure things are sorted out in the longer term. That and she must have fallen out with Disney anyway and/or knew she was never going to be in another Marvel movie.

Soldato
Doesn't make sense, she filmed Endgame first.
She did film Endgame first, but Endgame was complete before they decided to include the character, reshoot to include then make Captain Marvel. The original filming of Endgame never intended to have Captain Marvel at all. But quite wisely they decided to boot the character between the 2 sure fire winners of Infinity War and Endgame how could the film fail in that scenario.

Caporegime
She did film Endgame first, but Endgame was complete before they decided to include the character, reshoot to include then make Captain Marvel. The original filming of Endgame never intended to have Captain Marvel at all. But quite wisely they decided to boot the character between the 2 sure fire winners of Infinity War and Endgame how could the film fail in that scenario.

I've seen this posted before, but it's a distortion of the truth

Captain Marvel's fight with Thanos was a last-minute addition to Avengers: Endgame.

Speaking to SlashFilm, film editor Jeff Ford explained how Carol Danvers' moment in the film's climactic battle evolved. "When Captain Marvel arrives, that was in the script from day one, the way she comes through the ship," he revealed. "We knew she was going to do that, but what we did alter and add and expand later, mostly because of how much we loved what Brie [Larson] was doing with the character, was her fight with Thanos before he power punches her back."

"Anthony [Russo] came up with the great idea -- this was a reshoot, by the way, at the last minute -- he had the great idea that Thanos pulls the power stone out of the gauntlet, and then he punches her with the raw power stone," he continued. "That is a fantastic use of that prop and that story point, because that’s what you want. And we had to find a way that he could sideline Captain Marvel for a minute, because she’s so powerful, there’s no way to do it."

https://www.cbr.com/endgame-thanos-captain-marvel-moment-rewrite/

Soldato
I'd certainly watch it again over the likes of Ant Man 2, Black Panther...even Dr Strange, although I have an love/hate relationship with the Dr Strange movie, I think he's a great supporting character in Avengers but I don't like his actual standalone movie.

Been watching some of the Marvel movies again and I rewatched Dr Strange and actually enjoyed it a lot more possibly knowing what happens afterwards. What I didnt remember though was how bloody annoying Strange was at the beginning of that movie a right mardy up-himself person.

Back
Top Bottom