*** Show us your Dogs ***

Soldato
Crate training is a must, I'm not sure how people train puppies without one.

No I'd never sleep wondering about he was up to... he seems to enjoy it, like 10pm every night gets in without a whisper totally happy and passes out until 7am without a sound.

Between that and a stair gate there's relatively little he can destroy and it seems to be his own things pretty much exclusively thank god.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Yeah we're doing a version of all that but I think probably giving in a bit sometimes too.

Thankfully there's pretty much always someone home and we crate him overnight and he's fine with it.

Really hard to stick to the rules every time!

You are human, don't sweat it too much, you want a good dog but you also want a dog with some personality too. You're all new to each other so it'll take time. My lab was 2 when I got him and had never lived in a house but still managed to break him in despite his set backs. So long as you keep it all in mind, when the novelty wears off a bit and it's down to business the foundations will be there to follow on from.

jcr

jcr

Associate
heres our new bundle of trouble-

vHQLQ0a.jpg
weEVvEK.jpg

9 weeks old and full of mischief.

have been putting him in a crate at night, but around 1 AM he starts screeching :(

Man of Honour
screeching
Attention seeking. We've gone from 3 hours up to 5 hours in a couple of weeks for toilet brakes. You soon get the idea when they need to go to the loo or when they just want attention.

Eventually they'll feel safe there and go in and sleep on their own accord.

Associate
Yeah we're doing a version of all that but I think probably giving in a bit sometimes too.

Thankfully there's pretty much always someone home and we crate him overnight and he's fine with it.

Really hard to stick to the rules every time!
I couldn't contemplate crating mine. Overnight he usually sleeps on the landing.

Soldato
I guess we were lucky, Barkley was happy in his crate overnight within about 2 weeks.

Even before then it was mostly a case of him crying at maybe 6am and one of us going to let him out then him walking himself back in because we made it his den, nice and cosy, water, covered with a blanket etc.

We'll decrate him for sure eventually but it's so awesome that he sees it as his bed.

7ELyQXY.jpg

Both knew they shouldn't have been on the bed but it was too much of a photo opportunity.
I blame the cat for leading him astray as he looks a bit nervous as if he knows but the cat is looking nonchalantly!! :cry:

heres our new bundle of trouble-

vHQLQ0a.jpg
weEVvEK.jpg

9 weeks old and full of mischief.

have been putting him in a crate at night, but around 1 AM he starts screeching :(
He's adorable!! Not the screeching though. That sounds really distressing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I couldn't contemplate crating mine. Overnight he usually sleeps on the landing.

I guess we were lucky, Barkley was happy in his crate overnight within about 2 weeks.

Even before then it was mostly a case of him crying at maybe 6am and one of us going to let him out then him walking himself back in because we made it his den, nice and cosy, water, covered with a blanket etc.

We'll decrate him for sure eventually but it's so awesome that he sees it as his bed.

We had Cali sleeping in a crate by herself after about a week. First few nights we had her in a small fabric crate in our room but after a few days she clocked on to us being in the bed and would just whine and cry until we let her out. We got her a large wire crate and filled it with lots of fleeces, chews and soft things and she was comfortable sleeping in that by herself really quickly.

She's now 10 months old and we have her go to bed in her crate but we leave the door open and let her have the roam of the living room at night but going into the crate is essentially our way of saying 'bed time now'

Ultimately the plan is to get her out of the crate full time but it's good for her as she knows it's her space. Very handy when we went on a holiday and took her crate with us as she settled down in it despite not being at home.

I blame the cat for leading him astray as he looks a bit nervous as if he knows but the cat is looking nonchalantly!! :cry:

They're so naughty together! The cat definitely leads her astray but it's kind of endearing how much they get along with each other.

My partner made a video of them playing together. You'd think Gato wasn't fond of her considering how often she ends up hissing at Cali but they're always seeking each-other out
Some of their best bits

Associate
its that or have the house chewed up. pups can be a bit destructive when left to their own devices.,
Make things like shoes are out of harms way. Try a few toys, especially ones that can be discarded.

Crate training is a must, I'm not sure how people train puppies without one.
Without difficulty for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had Cali sleeping in a crate by herself after about a week. First few nights we had her in a small fabric crate in our room but after a few days she clocked on to us being in the bed and would just whine and cry until we let her out. We got her a large wire crate and filled it with lots of fleeces, chews and soft things and she was comfortable sleeping in that by herself really quickly.

She's now 10 months old and we have her go to bed in her crate but we leave the door open and let her have the roam of the living room at night but going into the crate is essentially our way of saying 'bed time now'

Ultimately the plan is to get her out of the crate full time but it's good for her as she knows it's her space. Very handy when we went on a holiday and took her crate with us as she settled down in it despite not being at home.

They're so naughty together! The cat definitely leads her astray but it's kind of endearing how much they get along with each other.

My partner made a video of them playing together. You'd think Gato wasn't fond of her considering how often she ends up hissing at Cali but they're always seeking each-other out
Some of their best bits
Sweet. Besties really :)

Soldato
One of my old labs chewed skirting, furniture and half burrowed out the wall... thankfully grew out of it quickly!

In fairness Barkley has completely destroyed his bed but I don't mind that.. I did mind the fact he chewed the fireplace a bit but only once.

I've heard the skirting thing and seen him having a sniff a few times :)

We also gave him this Kong toy the other day...

C442bQ1.jpg

And the next day it was this :)

apgL8A8.jpg

Soldato
Has anyone had a complaint raised about their dogs barking and being an "alleged noise nuisance"?

I have an old couple who live over the street who have complained about other dogs in the street before but now it appears to be my turn and I got a letter from the council today. They say they cant name the person who complained but after she screamed at me in the street that "if you don't deal with your dogs I will" its fairly obvious who made the complaint.

Thing is my back garden borders 5 other properties that all have dogs of their own, so sometimes there is a bit of barking at the fence if we all have our dogs in the backyard at the same time. As such i keep the dogs inside after 9pm and dont let them out till before 8am, which is usually ok but sometimes leads to clean up duty at the kitchen door.

Looking online and having had noise issues with a student house next door to me many years ago, I don't see how they can pin the noise on my dogs specifically, do my dogs bark? yes all dogs do, do my neighbours dogs bark? yup but i seem to be being tagged as the source of every bark on the street by this old witch.

One of my other neighbours who also had a complaint told we to just ignore it, there is nothing excessive about the dogs behaviour and nothing will come of it. However at some point soon I am going to have to return to the office and I am concerned about firstly the dogs being alone all day for the first time in nearly 20 months and secondly the timing of the complaint.

Just to be clear this woman complained that my cat was meowing too loudly when it was wanting back in the house one night, that is the level if annoying Hyacinth Bucket we are dealing with here. She also told me I should paint my front door a different colour and to change the plants i had in the front garden cause she didn't like them and she had to look at them every day.

Has anyone had a complaint raised about their dogs barking and being an "alleged noise nuisance"?

I have an old couple who live over the street who have complained about other dogs in the street before but now it appears to be my turn and I got a letter from the council today. They say they cant name the person who complained but after she screamed at me in the street that "if you don't deal with your dogs I will" its fairly obvious who made the complaint.

Thing is my back garden borders 5 other properties that all have dogs of their own, so sometimes there is a bit of barking at the fence if we all have our dogs in the backyard at the same time. As such i keep the dogs inside after 9pm and dont let them out till before 8am, which is usually ok but sometimes leads to clean up duty at the kitchen door.

Looking online and having had noise issues with a student house next door to me many years ago, I don't see how they can pin the noise on my dogs specifically, do my dogs bark? yes all dogs do, do my neighbours dogs bark? yup but i seem to be being tagged as the source of every bark on the street by this old witch.

One of my other neighbours who also had a complaint told we to just ignore it, there is nothing excessive about the dogs behaviour and nothing will come of it. However at some point soon I am going to have to return to the office and I am concerned about firstly the dogs being alone all day for the first time in nearly 20 months and secondly the timing of the complaint.

Just to be clear this woman complained that my cat was meowing too loudly when it was wanting back in the house one night, that is the level if annoying Hyacinth Bucket we are dealing with here. She also told me I should paint my front door a different colour and to change the plants i had in the front garden cause she didn't like them and she had to look at them every day.
Sounds like she is the one terrorising your neighborhood!!

What a mean spirited person she is!!

When I first moved to my council property in York about 8 years ago, one of my neighbours complained about my 2 but now 1, barking.

The council wrote to me (not telling me who it was but she had shouted at me previously so I knew it was her) to tell me to take them out the front rather than the back, where the bedrooms are.

I don't know if that is something you could do but it sounds incredibly unfair and it's only natural for lots of dogs to chat and communicate.

Obviously excessive barking is annoying if it's all the time but sounds like you are already doing what you can.

You have my sympathies though and hope you can find a way through.

Associate
Here is my little ball of fur, he is 6 now as you can see he is not a show Bichon as they would never be allowed to play in the park with other dogs.
Were with petplan, who have been good, but every time you claim your renewal goes up, it was £30 a month and is now just under £70 per month.. I'm at the point were we might as well put money in an account just for medical bills.

6wIcL1F.jpg
yQ0TgFG.jpg

Here is my little ball of fur, he is 6 now as you can see he is not a show Bichon as they would never be allowed to play in the park with other dogs.
Were with petplan, who have been good, but every time you claim your renewal goes up, it was £30 a month and is now just under £70 per month.. I'm at the point were we might as well put money in an account just for medical bills.

6wIcL1F.jpg
yQ0TgFG.jpg
Gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom